Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
tkat + custom seat = different bike (Read 35 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
tkat + custom seat = different bike
08/24/07 at 10:30:14

In a word: WOW!

Not much time to devote to it with my wife home limping around on a bum knee... But I got the tkat on night before last, and the customs S40 seat on last night. Only got to ride for about 15 minutes, but that's all it took to tell that the old 99 is changed from night to day. Took it around my favorite local corner at normal speed, and it felt so solid I had to turn around and do the corner a couple of more times. Even at a speed that would have been pressing it before, it tracked straight and solid feeling.

Ya, I know there were all those glowing testimonials before, but I'm a die-hard skeptic, and have to see it for myself. I've only had one dirt bike before that had one of those horseshoe fork braces on it, and I didn't put it on, so I didn't have a before and after on it. I'm a true believer now. Any bike that doesn't already have a brace, or doesn't track like it is on rails, needs a fork brace added.

I didn't spend a great deal of time polishing the brace before the 15 minute install. I just used an old can of automotive finish compound and an electric buffer on the pieces for about 20 minutes of fumbling around with the buffer pinned on the ground and running it with my feet, while I sat on a stool and dabbed the parts in compound and water and buffed them against the turning wheel! Man I got some really shiny fingernails out of the deal too! Grin

Oh... and the customs seat is amazing too. The hump is low enough on it that you can slide back on the seat enough to get a little temporary leg stretch; and it is just a lot more comfortable than either stock seat or the Sportster seat to begin with.

I don't know, nor care that the bike really looks that much better or worse for the addition of these two items; because they make the bike so much more enjoyable to ride. And after all, that is what they're for huh?

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: tkat + custom seat = different bike
Reply #1 - 08/24/07 at 11:25:28

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
In a word: WOW!

... But I got the tkat on night before last, and the customs S40 seat....

Oh... and the customs seat is amazing too. The hump is low enough on it that you can slide back on the seat enough to get a little temporary leg stretch; and it is just a lot more comfortable than either stock seat or the Sportster seat to begin with.

What kind of seat are you talking about? That you put on.

By the way,you have convinced me to get the TkatSmiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 08/24/07 at 12:58:04

The seat is a one-of-a-kind custom built on the one-piece plastic pan from an S40. I grabbed the seat from the "Marketplace" portion of this forum. It looks a lot like the $300+ custom seats that the German outfit sells. Guess I was at the right place at the right time, and didn't hesitate. Grin

IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #3 - 08/24/07 at 13:01:01

rockin john - you lucky dog  Wink
you clicked your mouse faster than me!!  Grin

I soooo love that custom seat.  I am going to redo mine exactly like it, well, maybe just a little different stiching design, but very similar in style.  Lookin to re-do my sissy bar pad to match at the same time.

Hope to get my tkat brace on this weekend too!  Do I really need to polish it first?

Also scarfed a 17" memphis fats solar tint windshield from ebay for $81.00 brand new in box - got the mount kit for $16.50 brand new - What a deal!!!  Windshield will be installed as soon as it arrives!!

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #4 - 08/24/07 at 13:09:02

Eglidegirl, did you get the Mephis Fats mounting hardware from Memphis, or another supplier? I got a quote from them on mounting hardware that was over $100.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #5 - 08/24/07 at 13:22:32

I'm a die hard ebay fan.  I wait patiently for what I'm looking for and jump on it the last minute if it's the right price.  Took me 6 months of watching to get the windshield for that price.

I got the mount kit from a private seller in a 10 day ebay auctiion - for $16.50 plus $9.50 shipping.

I know, it's hard to believe that deal ain't it?   Shocked  Swear it's true though.  I was shocked myself!

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #6 - 08/24/07 at 13:54:47

Yeah, ebay is a good place if you are patient.
Yesterday I got a set of 5 (FIVE) replacement helmet visors for less than the price of ONE here at the stealership.

I was only looking for one to replace but the ebay listing was for the lot (in blue, mirror, smoke, yellow and silver), so now I am going to have a different color for every day!  Grin

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 08/24/07 at 14:40:38

Yeah, I got lucky swooping in on that seat from Strangeling just in the nick of time! Hey, don't worry though, as a lifelong barter/buy/sell/trade person, I can tell you that for those who watch faithfully, there is always another great deal on the horizon. I've been a "hoss trader" since long before eBay, but I'm a hardcore buyer and seller there now for sure. However, I've recently had a not-so-good experience with one outfit which I unfortunately picked up the seller recommendation from this forum. If they don't make things right, I'll name the seller on this forum later.

And it is true that if I were to fault the custom seat for one thing: It would be for lack of any real "custom" stitching, whether it be the tired old "flame" theme (which I never seem to tire of) or something other than the "plane Jane" look it has.

There is no reason you can't just bolt the Tkat brace on, but the finish as delivered is just tumbled clean from any sharp edges etc... It is just a flat dull aluminum look. I didn't take the time and effort to polish mine to the full-on chrome like shine that you can get with double the effort, I stopped at the point where you can see yourself in it blurry. You can shine them to full mirror reflection. Not only did I save time and effort only polishing to "half-shiny" but it also keeps it looking like aluminum, and not a piece of chromed steel; which IMO is preferable.

Less than $100 for a good shield is practically stealing! Now that I've got a comfortable seat, I may be encouraged to ride longer distances. Then I'll be wanting a shield too!

IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #8 - 08/24/07 at 16:04:02

i hear ya about the aluminum, nice look, but...water spots are a real pain in the arse to get off (we have hard water here out in the stix).   our hd has an aluminum primary cover.  it's got to the point where I refuse to try & shine it up anymore.  too bad they want over $1000 to chrome out the motor.  for a few more bucks we could trade it in for one that's already chromed up!

i'm thinkin i'll go for the dull blurry look myself regardless though.  depend on how much spare time i have..which is almost none!   Cheesy

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #9 - 08/24/07 at 20:33:32

The tkat brace really made me think that people will spend their money on anything that's "making the scene." But we have intersections around here that are scrapped to dissipate the rain water. On a bike (Savage anyway) it's like skating. That plus I don't have to go far to find a bridge that has the steel grates for the deck.
Long story short.... I got in on the last group buy and I ride alot more relaxed now. Not careless just more comfortable knowing that I have good control.
Polish? Never even gave it a thought. If I had the time to do it I would be doing something else. Some people just know how to make the most out of the time they have.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 08/27/07 at 10:04:25

Well... They have truly proved themselves now: Both the custom seat from poster "strangeling" and the tkat fork brace. Rode nearly 200 miles last night in the darkness on unfamiliar two lane blacktops. Ran through several construction zones with uneven surfaces which weren't marked as a danger! If not for the fork brace I might have been in trouble a couple of times. Amazing how rigid the long front end is on my 99.

And the seat... Oh my... what a deal! beats the heck out of either stock seat or the Sportster seat by a long shot. Since I was able to slip back on the seat a bit, I did cheat and use the passenger pegs quite a bit. And sometimes I rode froward and put my feet back on the passenger pegs like rear set controls. Then I'd switch up and sit on my bum a while in the conventional cruiser position, with is also more comfortable with this seat. I don't know just how far I can go in a day yet, but so far it is as good as any street bike seat I've ever had. Even my old much loved Yamaha XS series bikes, with the pegs under you made you saddle sore in a bit over 100 miles. If my risers/bars were another 3"-4" I could comfortably lean against the rear sissy bar and steer the bike! Grin  Unfortunately, I don't think my cables and wires are long enough to reach that far!! But there are so many positions that I CAN ride from, that it's gonna take a long time to wear me down I think. Oh, here's a pic of the new stuff mounted on the 99:

I've got a new cat eye taillight and tag assembly picked out to clean up the rear fender, and some new aluminum mini turn signals too, that should help clean the whole look of the bike up some. It has mini-signals on it now, but they're plastic, and one of them is actually melting from the heat of the bulb!

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #11 - 08/27/07 at 10:38:34

That looks soooo good!!
Definitely a dreamseat!
Don't fall asleep behind the handlebars now, seeing as your butt is not keeping you awake anymore!! Grin

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #12 - 08/27/07 at 10:42:28

NICE as NICE can BE!!!

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 08/27/07 at 10:47:41

Hey Rockin John,

that is a nice looking ride

I really like how the seat looks from that angle

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 08/27/07 at 13:07:45

S40NewYork wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I'm a die hard ebay fan.  I wait patiently for what I'm looking for and jump on it the last minute if it's the right price.  Took me 6 months of watching to get the windshield for that price.

Oh my, a girl after my own heart!   Wink  
If I were not already happily hooked up with a wonderful woman I would be sending you flowers  that I had just won on ebay for 10 cents on the dollar!!   Grin

Ebay is my second home ... well actually, sometimes I feel like it is my primary home, but hey ...........

It was because of ebay that I was able to get started with the carb kits.  My own bike could be called a "Son of ebay"
-sportster mag wheels , 19" & 16" ($65)
-10.5" disc's and calipers front and rear ($20)
-Corbin seat for Honda 500 ($25)
-new outdented gas tank from ebay ($129)
-flat track style bars
-NOS bobber style fiberglass rear fender for '60's model sportster  ($32)
-NOS Ceriani front forks  ( $75 incl shp)
-New Metzler 880 tires  ($135 for both)
- NOS 60's era 6" alum. dogbone risers ($28)
-R wheel pulley ($25)
-NOS dirt track style fork brace ($20)
-new sportster seat ($33) ... resold later
-new forward control set ($150)
-Progressive 418 shocks, almost new, less than 1k miles ($125)
etc etc etc

Those are the items that I can remember of the top of my head.  I too, will wait for months if necessary, to find the item I want and at the price I want. [glow=red,2,300] It is a wonderful place in space. [/glow]

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:32:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tkat + custom seat = different bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.