Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pilot Screw Adjustment (Haven't we heard it all?) (Read 11 times)
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Pilot Screw Adjustment (Haven't we heard it all?)
08/23/07 at 20:54:50

Allow me to begin with a quote. Most of us are familiar where this excerpt is from:

" -start with the pilot adjusting screw at 1.5 turns out as a reference point, and count as you turn in and out so you always know where you are during the process.  Everything is done and referenced in the "# of turns out".  
-turn idle up a little so you have a smooth fast idle "

On my carb I have just over a full turn. That's it. Starting at 11:00 and turning clockwise I will pass 11:00 and the screw will stop at 2:00. I don't know what's stopping it. I am almost certain that 2:00 is seated but, why I can not get past 11:00 ccw? I want to hear from others before I "force it " and see what happens. Maybe it's lock tite. my guess is that it should continue until it comes out. Is that right?

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Pilot Screw Adjustment (Haven't we heard it al
Reply #1 - 08/23/07 at 22:38:10

That thing oughta back out like any screw. I wouldnt just start cranking on it, work it, turn it out till it starts binding up, go back, try to back it out till it stops, look & see if it came out any more at all, turn it back in a ways, till it frees up, back it out, see if it came out any further than before, IF it's coming out more with each attempt, keep at it. If it's not, then try some penetrating oil, maybe try the oil first? But, you shouldnt be having a problem removing that thing  unless you are going the wrong way. You wouldnt do that, would ya?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 08/24/07 at 01:47:21

Quote:
Starting at 11:00 and turning clockwise I will pass 11:00 and the screw will stop at 2:00. I don't know what's stopping it.

If you are indeed turning the screw clockwise then the screw probably is seating itself.  Assuming that, then you need to go counterclockwise to get the little sucker out of there.

Once out, be sure everything is clean, be sure the little spring is in there over the end of the screw and that you put just a light coating of lubricant on the screw before it goes back in.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/24/07 at 05:01:46

Well, I'll bee! He says it Right there, & I marched right on by.. sheesh.. sorry.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 08/24/07 at 07:18:10

Read it again guys: "why I can not get past 11:00 ccw?" By description, he is starting at 11:00; then turning CW to 2:00; then the screw will not come back out past 11:00 CCW when backing it out.

Best advise yet was the "slowly work it in-n-out a bit at a time, and see if you make progress." However, even being gentle and attempting to not get the screw in a bind, it may eventually bind anyways. Then you've got real trouble, and about the only resort is accurately drilling the screw out.

Read "accurately" as: precision machine work best left to a machine shop, who, if good, should be able to drill that screw out without damaging the threads in the carb body. They should also be able to make sure that the threads in the carb body aren't bunged, and clean them up if necessary. (This is, of course, the last resort.)

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 08/24/07 at 11:45:31

Yep,  screw is suppose to be able to come out.....

You don't say what year the bike is...     If it's from the eighties, look for corrosion or dirt build up in the opening.  If from the nineties and later,  I would hazard to guess that the brass plug was not totally drilled out and the residual brass (sleeve?) is acting as a stop.

Basically time for a magnifying glass and a good light.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #6 - 08/24/07 at 18:26:54

WOW! One good answer after another. Hopefully I'll get a little "Me" time and get a chance to work on it this weekend.
"Precision Work". Do you think I can use my radial arm saw as a drill press to accurately drill out the screw? (Seriously it's a joke.) I'll start with the small screw set and magnify
glass; hopefully it's brass or Locktite, I dont Think it's dirt.
Thanks again. I'll let you know what I find.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:23:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pilot Screw Adjustment (Haven't we heard it all?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.