Hot Headlight (Read 12 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Hot Headlight
08/23/07 at 19:17:50

Sluggo, I made sure I did a search before posting this question, but absolutely zilch on hot headlight!
Rode home from work (1.2 hour ride) parked the bike in the garage, and accidentally touched the headlight with my elbow.  I jerked away instantly!
That thing got hot!!! Not a wow, this is hot, but an ouch too hot to touch hot. Is this normal???

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Hot Headlight
Reply #1 - 08/23/07 at 19:55:48

Yep, was on mine at least. The chrome bubbled up on top before I replaced it w/ a 7" light. Might have been extra heat from the Xenon bulb, I don't know.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #2 - 08/23/07 at 21:17:36

Thanks!! What's a 7" light? Is it a similar bulb but smaller or a different bulb altogether?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 08/24/07 at 05:11:26

The Savage comes with a 5.75" diameter headlight in a plastic housing ("bucket").  Headlight bulbs tend to get hot; with higher powered bulbs getting hotter.  Hot enough to melt plastic.  Solution:  replace 5.75" plastic bucket with a 7" steel bucket.  IMHO, the larger diameter headlight  looks better.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #4 - 08/24/07 at 11:45:34

That's a great idea!
I need a new bucket anyway, because the plastic one has a crack in the top part, exactly there where the rim clamps on to. So I had to tape down the rim to stop it from rattling.
Where did you get your steel bucket??
Was it expensive?

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/24/07 at 15:26:19

That light might be repairable with some epoxy glue. I got my 7" light at JC Whitney but I wouldn't recommend that one. It had a different style mount so I had to experiment with various homemade brackets until something worked. Major hassle. Seems like I remember someone here who got a different 7" light bucket that was no trouble installing. Maybe they'll read this & uh..."enlighten" us. Smiley

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #6 - 08/24/07 at 17:18:14

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
That light might be repairable with some epoxy glue. I got my 7" light at JC Whitney but I wouldn't recommend that one. It had a different style mount so I had to experiment with various homemade brackets until something worked. Major hassle. Seems like I remember someone here who got a different 7" light bucket that was no trouble installing. Maybe they'll read this & uh..."enlighten" us. Smiley

Try this. Hopefully it will work:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #7 - 08/24/07 at 20:23:56

Thanks for this post!
What an awesome light!
I do ride my bike at night going home from a late class, and I can indeed not see much on the road at all! And boy do we ever have potholes!!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 08/24/07 at 23:18:37

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Sluggo, I made sure I did a search before posting this question, but absolutely zilch on hot headlight!

no worries, here's a link to where i've got some stuff. they've got lot's of stuff

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/chopper.htm

scroll though the pages

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 08/25/07 at 00:26:00

Thanks Sluggo.
I'm looking, scrolling though the pages. I did find a headlight, but it's the same size as mine. 5 3/4. I'm trying to find a bit bigger one. I did find this item though:
Is this cool or what?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #10 - 08/25/07 at 00:28:32

And I found the ears that smokey02 used for his huge light:

I think I might look around some more for a bigger headlight,

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #11 - 08/25/07 at 10:51:37

In Az your headlight will give You second degree burn BEFORE You even start the bike Grin

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #12 - 08/25/07 at 11:03:16

I sure hope that means when it is parked outside in the sun, and not in the garage!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:24:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hot Headlight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.