SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
need choke instructions
08/23/07 at 00:15:04

Aloha,
I ran a search on choke problems, and I found one that sounded like my problem, but I lost it and can't seem to find it again. I'm not quit sure how to phrase my search to find what I need.
I can only ride my bike with the choke either all the way, or half pulled out. Even after an hour of riding (which in my eyes should have warmed it up enough) I still have to keep it pulled out. The one quote I found said something about filing of a little of the carb needle? It would be great if anyone could direct me to the topic that has the complete directions.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: need choke instructions
Reply #1 - 08/23/07 at 06:19:23

You can check out the carb adjustment threads in the Tech section.  Or do a search on the word "choke".

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 08/23/07 at 09:41:50

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
You can check out the carb adjustment threads in the Tech section.  Or do a search on the word "choke".

You could also search on "enrich" or "richen" since it's truly an enrichener rather than a choke.  Both make the mixture richer.  The difference is that a choke reduces the air and an enrichener adds fuel.  Anyway, my point is that some posts may use the more accurate terminology.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 08/23/07 at 11:37:24

I did a search on choke, that's how I found the post about filing the needle off a bit. It hadn't entered my mind to search for carb. I guess that's my problem with the search; not knowing the correct terminology.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 08/23/07 at 12:17:14

Before You start messing with different things, did You try to adjust the idle RPMs? Does Your bike run good once You take off and You push the choke IN ?
If everything is peachy exept the bike dieing when You let off the gas, You might have to raise the idle a little bit.
Otherwise You either have to adjust the idle mix. screw /the little brass screw in the right front side of the carb/, or if this doesn't help, You might have a plugged idle jet.
The spacer and the needle control the mixture above idle speed, so this is not what You should have to touch.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/23/07 at 12:59:46

Yeah, I think just reading the stuff in the Carbs section of the Tech Ref TOC and then using Lancer's Straight & Simple Carb Tuning would be a great place to start... before thinking about cracking the carb.  Then, if you decide to, I believe it's the white spacer you'd want to shave/file down - not the needle.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #6 - 08/23/07 at 18:15:35

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Before You start messing with different things, did You try to adjust the idle RPMs? Does Your bike run good once You take off and You push the choke IN ?
If everything is peachy exept the bike dieing when You let off the gas, You might have to raise the idle a little bit.
Otherwise You either have to adjust the idle mix. screw /the little brass screw in the right front side of the carb/, or if this doesn't help, You might have a plugged idle jet.
The spacer and the needle control the mixture above idle speed, so this is not what You should have to touch.

Actually it's the other way around. It idles just fine (I did adjust the little screw for a smoother idle), but it doesn't want to ride without the choke being pulled out some.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/23/07 at 23:20:05

I hope you dont start filing on things before a lot of study goes into it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 08/24/07 at 01:54:32

Don't start filing on the needle or jets, that will throw off the adjustments when you do find the source of the problem.
It sounds to me like you have a clog in a passage somewhere.  I would suggest pulling the carb off and taking it apart, soak it, then brush and blow out every little hole you can find.  That is the only way to know for sure that all passageways are clean and clear.
A few hours work are well worth it.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #9 - 08/24/07 at 07:34:42

Hey aloha girl,
Lancer is correct- You will have to dig in the carb and diagnose before doing anything elce. The thing is that even without any mod, the Savage is running OK. You should not have to do any mods to make it run. Everything said and done here is to give it something more than the adequate running. If You have to push or pull to make it running adquate- You are having a problem. Knowing that the needle is in the lowest position from the factory and You can not mess-up  without changing it, I'd say-it is not the needle.
If somebody has been in the carburetor before and he or she has not replaced stock parts, the only thing that comes to my mind is a problem with the slider diaphragm. You might have it pinched, or punctured, or You might have kinked spring.
  Did You buy the bike this way or ot happened one day when You went to start it, or it was happening gradually?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #10 - 08/24/07 at 11:40:22

Hey aloha girl,
Lancer is correct- You will have to dig in the carb and diagnose before doing anything elce. The thing is that even without any mod, the Savage is running OK. You should not have to do any mods to make it run. Everything said and done here is to give it something more than the adequate running. If You have to push or pull to make it running adquate- You are having a problem. Knowing that the needle is in the lowest position from the factory and You can not mess-up  without changing it, I'd say-it is not the needle.
If somebody has been in the carburetor before and he or she has not replaced stock parts, the only thing that comes to my mind is a problem with the slider diaphragm. You might have it pinched, or punctured, or You might have kinked spring.
  Did You buy the bike this way or ot happened one day when You went to start it, or it was happening gradually?

I bought the bike this way. The previous owner told me it ran cold, that it needed to have the choke out for quit a while until it warmed up enough to push the choke back in.
It just doesn't seem to get warmed up enough to do it. Even with 90 degree weather out here.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #11 - 08/24/07 at 22:05:05

It seems, that somebody has been messing with the bike before You bought it.
There are couple of possible reasons to have Your problem,
but the most likely ones are : wrong or partually plugged pilot jet, and problem with the slider diaphragm.
You don't have to remove the carburetor. You can access the float bowl and the jets from bellow and You can remove the top cover and check the slider, the diaphragm, and the needle just by removing the seat and losening the 2 carb clamps..

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #12 - 08/24/07 at 22:31:45

It seems, that somebody has been messing with the bike before You bought it.
There are couple of possible reasons to have Your problem,
but the most likely ones are : wrong or partually plugged pilot jet, and problem with the slider diaphragm.
You don't have to remove the carburetor. You can access the float bowl and the jets from bellow and You can remove the top cover and check the slider, the diaphragm, and the needle just by removing the seat and losening the 2 carb clamps..

Is the float bowl attached to the carburator?
I'll go punch float bowl into the search.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #13 - 08/24/07 at 22:40:34

No luck on the search. I'll check the Clymers manual.
Thanks for the help!

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #14 - 08/25/07 at 13:10:31

Is it the stock exhaust?if not you may have to rejet for exhaust. Undecided

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one