Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A picture is worth a thousand words... (Read 21 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
A picture is worth a thousand words...
08/22/07 at 19:44:08

But alas,  I cannot upload a picture to show my half arsed idea that actually paid off.....

Anyway, what I'm talking about is a touring bag support that I came up with while standing in the aisles of my local Home depot.

On my bike, my bag support brackets are weird.  On the right side (non-drive side), the bracket extends down another 6" and adequaletly supports the bag (it keeps its shape and remains square to the frame) while the left side left a bit to be desired.

Unlike the right side bracket, the left side bracket extended just 3" below the mounting and out about 1 1/4".  The bottom of the bag was left to rest on the belt guard.  Not really a problem, but it was asymmetrical (not square on both sides) and the bag was beginning to wear where it contacted the belt guard.

Enter my brilliant idea.

In the hardware section of your local Home Depot, you will find an 8" stainless steel drawer pull.  It is exactly the right size for the touring bags.

I took off my belt guard and marked approximately where the bag hit on the guard.  (not too hard considering the wear..)  I marked the length of the drawer pull and then drilled the holes.

I assembled it using thread locker (having a screw back out into the drive belt is NOT a good idea,..)  then re-assembled the bike.

The touring bag now rides on the drawer pull instead of the belt guard and (most important to me) it is symmetrical with the right side bag.

I wish I could upload a picture to show you guys what I mean, but I don't have a photo-bucket to upload stuff to.  You just have to take my word.  It's super cool, and works really well....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: A picture is worth a thousand words...
Reply #1 - 08/22/07 at 21:20:01

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
But alas,  I cannot upload a picture to show my half arsed idea that actually paid off.....

Anyway, what I'm talking about is a touring bag support that I came up with while standing in the aisles of my local Home depot.

On my bike, my bag support brackets are weird.  On the right side (non-drive side), the bracket extends down another 6" and adequaletly supports the bag (it keeps its shape and remains square to the frame) while the left side left a bit to be desired.

Unlike the right side bracket, the left side bracket extended just 3" below the mounting and out about 1 1/4".  The bottom of the bag was left to rest on the belt guard.  Not really a problem, but it was asymmetrical (not square on both sides) and the bag was beginning to wear where it contacted the belt guard.

Enter my brilliant idea.

In the hardware section of your local Home Depot, you will find an 8" stainless steel drawer pull.  It is exactly the right size for the touring bags.

I took off my belt guard and marked approximately where the bag hit on the guard.  (not too hard considering the wear..)  I marked the length of the drawer pull and then drilled the holes.

I assembled it using thread locker (having a screw back out into the drive belt is NOT a good idea,..)  then re-assembled the bike.

The touring bag now rides on the drawer pull instead of the belt guard and (most important to me) it is symmetrical with the right side bag.

I wish I could upload a picture to show you guys what I mean, but I don't have a photo-bucket to upload stuff to.  You just have to take my word.  It's super cool, and works really well....

Stainless?  Why didn't you get "brilliant" or brushed brass in color?

So.  What you are saying is that you drilled your belt guard and mounted a drawer pull on it?  The same belt guard that goes up and down with the swingarm?  So now you have one bouncing bag and the other doesn't?

I know.  I know.  At least it isn't rubbing the guard now.  You only have to worry about a hole in the bag.

Threadlocker is good too.  That'll help when you need to throw the bike in a pickup truck.

Rather than just getting a cheap bag support off eBay?  I have to admit.  That's pretty half arsed, alright.

Photobucket is free and you can upload anytime, but I don't think it is necessary now.  We got it.

Let me know when you want a new belt guard to sell your bike.  Check my topic in the Marketplace.

Yep.  The left one certainly does hang different than the right Tongue

"Here's your sign!"

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #2 - 08/24/07 at 11:34:13

Well, that was harsh.....

In a nut shell, I've looked for a better soft side touring bag support for a month with no luck.

Your description of what is happening with the swing arm, explains why the factory brace doesn't extend down any lower.  Given enough travel, it could contact the belt guard as the swing-arm travels up and down.

So I have two options.  One, continue to allow the bag to droop and rest on the belt guard (and wear as the swing arm moves up or down) or to put a second brace at the bottom of the bag to help keep it away from the belt guard and keep the bag square as I ride.  the pull I selected is the same length as the bottom of the touring bag and off sets it approximately 1" from the belt guard.  

So.. Since I can't get a better bag support, what else could I do?  (Besides take the bags off)

Your sarchasm also led me to take securing the screw heads one step further.  I tack welded the flush mount screw heads to the inside of the belt guard.  Now if they want to try to unscrew, they're going to have to break the weld then break the thread locker before it even begins to think about loosening up.....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 08/24/07 at 13:43:36

I think I need a picture for this one. Undecided

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:29:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A picture is worth a thousand words...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.