Send Topic Print
Shadow vs Savage (Read 59 times)
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Re: Shadow vs Savage
Reply #15 - 08/21/07 at 08:58:47

One thing that you might want to do is keep an eye on the used market.   I have had this same debate for a long time.   I am just over the lip of 300 (not for long) and the wife wants to ride with me.   The Savage isn't going to do that.  I was looking at an ACE the other day and that would have done it.  Shadows are nice but you also need to take into account the shorter wheel base of the Savage and tighter turn radius of the Savage.  These little thumpers are GREAT to learn on and inspire FAR more confidence than a 250cc.  Either bike is a good choice but each one has it's faults and high points.

With that said I like the new 07 Shadow VT750C2:

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #16 - 08/21/07 at 09:35:02

Pizza_King wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I doubt she will ride that often. I imagine some on weekends but for the most part it will be just me commuting to work, cruising around, with the occaisional trip out of town most likely with her.

I'm young and in college, I'm 5'8'' on a good day and weigh around 200. I live in a small town with a population of around 8k. I only want the bike to ride to work, school, cruise, and some small trips no more than an hour away at this point. Savage has my eye b/c of cost. I'm new I didn't want to get in over my head.

I think the prescription for you is a cheap used Savage/S40 until you have some saddle time and feel for the road you ride on M/C. You then can decide to upgrade to bigger/heavier bike.

I want bigger bike now but I would never get rid of my Savage. It's will be my fun-riding/back-up bike when I have bigger bike for long distance riding.

Good luck in your decision.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 08/21/07 at 11:16:50

I think the Savage would suit your needs fine.
 It's superior in every way to the vlx 600 Shadow, cheaper, lighter, better handling, more comfortable, faster, easier to maintain.  The vlx has water cooling, and a v-twin "potato-potato-potato" exhaust sound, that's about it.  Neither of these are advantages, to me, but they might be to some people.
 A 750 Shadow is better on the highway, more power at 70mph+, but the passenger pillion is no better than the Savage.
 You might consider a Yamaha 650 v-star for two up, but it's slower and heavier than the Savage.
 I'd go with the Savage, and put a sheepskin pad on the pillion for wifey's comfort.
 Actually, almost all bike's passenger seats are terrible, excepting luxury tourers..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pizza_King
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/21/07 at 12:17:40

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I think I'm going to stick with the savage or S40, whatevers around come Christmas time. I plan to pay cash for what I get that way insurance will be cheap.

Thanks again guys!

Kyle

IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 08/21/07 at 17:28:46

Pizza_King - your last posting is the best decision.
You can talk until you are blue in the face but in the end it will be your decision and yours alone.
One up, two up - I have ridden both ways successfully and happily.
Light and delightful to ride - absolutely
A fun ride - yes
Four speed ( mine is that or at least it was until I changed the engine) vs five speed - well the numbers on the 5 speed suggest it is a few hundred rpm lower at highway speed but that is not significant.
Get a scoot - ride it and love it
You and your partner will have a blast with any motorcycle - but I totally support your idea of going with an S40 Savage!
Enjoy your riding
Polar Pilot

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:31:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shadow vs Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.