Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shadow vs Savage (Read 59 times)
Pizza_King
Ex Member

Shadow vs Savage
08/20/07 at 18:41:37

Anyone owned both and care to compare? I'm taking the motorcycle safety course in October and probably will try to purchase a bike in December or January. I figured if I went savage I'd save money in the rare case I decide biking isn't my thing.

Compare things such as.... Size,  drivability, reliability, Comfort,  Etc...

Thanks all,

Kyle

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Re: Shadow vs Savage
Reply #1 - 08/20/07 at 19:37:40

Kyle... which Shadow are you looking at (displacement)?

IP Logged
Pizza_King
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/20/07 at 19:47:02

Since I'm a beginner no more than a 750.

IP Logged
wrongwayair

central Il
Reply #3 - 08/20/07 at 20:14:24

ok, I haven't actually ridden them but before I happened across the Savage I was ready to sign the papers on the Shadow VLX (600) for no better reason than it just felt right.  Nice low seat, well balanced & looked good too.  The 750 however, i've sat on a few of these & they seem top heavy & from my perspective just too wide.  Then again, i'm only 5'6".  The riding part, i'm sure there are others here that can help you with that.  Good Luck!

Indecision may or may not be my problem .... Jimmy Buffett
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #4 - 08/20/07 at 22:39:18

What I would do is go to the different dealers, sit on one you may like, bring it up off the kick stand and rock it gently a little from side to side.  This will help you get a feel of the balance.  What I did for the handle bars is, I sat on the bike with my eyes closed, hands on my knees and lifted my arms up and out in a natural position and see if my hands fell on the grips.  If you are riding with your arms and hands not in a natural position for you, you will be uncomfortable.
And last and most important is, what do you want the bike for.  If you want a commuter bike, the chances are the S40 will be for you.  If you want to cruise the highways a lot, you may want something bigger.  I ride my 06 S40 on the highways (60-65) sometimes for 400 miles in a day, and it takes it quite well.  I am 5'10" 200 pounds (a lot more in the winter with leathers on).
I hope this helps

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #5 - 08/21/07 at 04:40:32

First40 is right.  Go look and put your butt in the seats of several diffrent bikes.  I use my S40 for commuting in fairly heavy stop and go traffic.  With it being so light it is easy to balance and when I have to "walk" for a while I couldn't imagine doing that with a 800 lb bike.

But if I was going to do a lot of highway riding I'd feel a wee bit more comfortable on a bigger bike.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 08/21/07 at 05:03:53

I've had my eye on a Honda Shadow Aero for a while now.  I really dig the styling (the Indian look-alike fenders get me every time...)

But after riding a shadow, I am hesitant to give up my thumper.

The Savage produces about 31hp stock and weighs in at 352lbs.  The Shadow (even the base model spirit 750) produces just 45hp and it's dry weight is 496lbs.

Off the line, the Savage/S-40 is SOO much faster than the larger Shadow.  Around town, that weight difference can spell the difference between a comfortable commute and a tiring one.  

The Shadow did very well on the road, with a smooth comfortable ride.  But starting on a hill, negotiating stop and go traffic,  or making a slow speed turn, the extra weight became a handicap.  I really had to concentrate and make an effort to get it to turn.

What got me was the fuel economy.  The Savage/S-40 will deliver 60+ mpg any day of the week (I've gotten as high as 74mpg) while the Shadow comes in around 45mpg.  Essentially, they'll both go about 120 miles to a tank.  You'll just spend more filing the Shadow. (3.9 gallons vs. 2.5 gallons)

But the bottom line is, what do you plan to do with the bike?  Are you planning alot of solo riding and commutes to work/school/library/postoffice etc?  Then the Savage/S-40 is the best bike for the job.  Or are you planning long distance interstate rides or carrying an adult passenger in pillion?  In that case, the Shadow would be the better bike to consider.

I love my Savage.  It is small, lightweight, powerful, delivers stellar fuel economy and is fun to ride around town or even on the express way.  (over 70mph it gets a bit uncomfortable but that's to be expected from a huge single cylinder spinning at 5000+ rpm..)

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #7 - 08/21/07 at 05:12:23

I have both a 750 ACE and a S40, the ace is better on the road with 2 up, alot more comfort and smoother ride. weighs alittle more and you know it . My s40 is lighter but I only ride 1 up on it.s40 is faster from a standing start by far but the honda is like sitting on a lazyboy recliner on the road.It depends what your use of the bike will be.

IP Logged
Pizza_King
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/21/07 at 05:37:08

I plan to ride it around town and maybe on short distant trips until I get some experience under my belt. I'm sure my better half will ride with me some of the time depending on how well she likes it. But, I'm almost certain she will never want to get off the bike. Hope this helps.

Kyle

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 08/21/07 at 05:50:59

As others have noted, the two bikes are different and each is better in different situations.

You don't go into a hardware store and ask which is the better hammer, this 16 oz framing hammer or this 3 lb maul?  You tell the man what you will be using the hammer for and get the correct tool for the job.

Motorcycles are the same.  You need to select the correct tool for the job.  

How old are you, how large (or small), where do you live (urban/suburban/rural),  how's your driving record (accidents/tickets)?  Where will you be riding (check all that apply):

urban, local, up to 30 mph
urban, up to 45 mph
urban + some freeway
dirt, roads, >30 mph
dirt, trails, <30 mph
dirt, tracks, <10 mph
country lanes, 35-60 mph
highways, 50-70 mph
interstates, 70-90 mph

How much time will be spent riding?  If you have dirt available to you dirt riding is some of the best fun you can have with clothes on -- and excelent for developing riding skills.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 08/21/07 at 05:59:51

Pizza_King wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
...I'm sure my better half will ride with me some of the time depending on how well she likes it. But, I'm almost certain she will never want to get off the bike. . .
Will that be a his and hers?  Riding double is not the Savage's forte.  On the other hand taking two m/c on a trip cuts the fuel mileage in half -- but adds tremendous safety benefits.  Two bikes means that if one drops the other will be able to care for injuries, call for help, etc; if one bike breaks both can hop on the other and get parts, whatever.

WWW   IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #11 - 08/21/07 at 06:09:48

I had a Honda 600VLX and between it and the S-40, the Suzuki is by far the most fun to ride. I don't know if I just got a bad 600 or what but it was slow to warm up and just very touchy when taking off. The fact that it was a 4-speed transmission probably didn't help. I liked the way the Honda looked and it sat fairly low. I would give the 600 the preference on quality of finish but overall, my vote goes to the S40 (plus it is considerably less $$).

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #12 - 08/21/07 at 06:36:29

Unless you are both feather weights I wouldn't ride double on an S40.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 08/21/07 at 07:01:16

forrest wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Unless you are both feather weights I wouldn't ride double on an S40.
wifeys' and me combined over 300# never a problem after i stiffened up the shocks(up to 4 out of 5).
we did go down in my mil drive,almost stopped,6" of gravel (wifey landed on her feet on the lawn)dont go up that drive any more even solo..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pizza_King
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/21/07 at 08:46:21

I doubt she will ride that often. I imagine some on weekends but for the most part it will be just me commuting to work, cruising around, with the occaisional trip out of town most likely with her.

I'm young and in college, I'm 5'8'' on a good day and weigh around 200. No accidents as of yet knock on wood just a speeding ticket in a 4x4 I use to own that had 40 inch tires and speedo was off 20mph. I DD a 6 speed trans am with the LS1 motor and haven't had any problems as of yet knock on wood again. I live in a small town with a population of around 8k. I only want the bike to ride to work, school, cruise, and some small trips no more than an hour away at this point. Savage has my eye b/c of cost. Going with a shadow will cost me atleast double the savage and since I'm new I didn't want to get in over my head.

Can I still consider a Savage or do I need to lean towards a shadow?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:21:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shadow vs Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.