leaking fork seal (Read 46 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
leaking fork seal
08/19/07 at 18:55:08

I found this reference in the tech section, but can not ask questions there, so I copied it over here.

Quote:
If You play Your cards right it is a piece of cake.

You will need a piece of PVC pipe with an inner diameter 38mm to drive the new fork seal. You can get it in the plumbing section of almost every ACE or Home Depot
Put a jack under the bike and remove the fr. wheel and fr. fender. Unscrew the top fork caps. Remove one of the forks.Put the cap back and tighten it lightly. Turn the fork upside down and put it into a vise.DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TUBE. Squeeze where the axle goes. Take a long allen socket. Install it in the allen bolt that will be facing up and wack it nice about 10 times/this will loosen the tight threads. If You have an impact driver , use it to take the darn bolt out. Pull the fork from the vise and let it drain in a pan. Pull the dust seal up, using a small screwdriver. Using the same tool pop out the retaining clip that is under the dust seal and holds the fork seal. Grab the Alum. part with one hand and the chrome tube in the other and slide them in opposite direction as many times as it takes to take the assy apart. Slide the old seal out. Install the assy back. Using the PVC pipe install the big washer that is under the seal. After the metal washer is installed all the way in, install the new seal the same way /MAKE SURE THE LETTERS AND NUMBERS ARE FACING UP/. Install the retaining clip and the dust seal. Turn the fork upside - down and fill 441 ml /14.9 oz/ thru the bolt hole on the bottom. put the allen bolt back in the hole and tighten it good. Repeat the procedure with the other fork. Have fun !

I have oil coming out of the fork seal (I assume that's what that rubber ring is called), does that mean the seal is bad, or could it be doing that for other reasons?
If it is bad I will need to replace it.
You wrote :

You will need a piece of PVC pipe with an inner diameter 38mm to drive the new fork seal

What does drive the new fork seal mean?
You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of doing this would you?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: leaking fork seal
Reply #1 - 08/19/07 at 19:17:23

If oil is coming out up and out of the fork seal and protective boot, you will need to replace it. You handled the speedo rattle and with our advice and encouragement you can DIY also. I've done mine twice now. I've made a special took to hold the inner tube from turning while tightening its retain bolt. I'll check with the PO on some package sizes/prices and maybe modify the tool and then loan it out. (or I'm glad to share the directions for free its easy if you have a welder or a friend who has one)( or a broom handle will sometimes work).  The actual fork seal is retained by a spring ring and friction fit. That is why the 38 mm tubing to drive it in place. I've also managed w/o it by carefully using a correct size punch and keeping it straight and lightly lubricated. It is alos important to make sure the upper fork leg is free from and scrathes, burrs, or other defects which will damage the new seal. I've run boots on mine to keep the dead bug carcasses from tearing up the seals. First set was replaced due to the bug bodies, I believe the second set were made to leak by using the fork brace which kept the forks from flexing and allow the seals to not seal all the way around. Not the fork brace problem, installation too late in their life. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #2 - 08/20/07 at 11:41:34

Is it dangerous for me to ride it as is?
I won't be able to do anything about it yet.
Both for financial and courage reasons!
I prefer to go over stuff in my head first and let things stew for a while. It gives me insight and time to ask questions before starting.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 08/20/07 at 17:24:59

Mostly messy as the oil get blown back on the bike and your pants leg. It probably won't change he handling enough so you notice. Ride and think then you can do it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 06/29/08 at 19:51:35

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I've got a safety tip to add:

A leaky fork seal can foul the brake pads, as fork oil can dribble down to the front brake caliper.  If this happens, you'll find yourself with no front brakes.

And, after the pads are oil-fouled, I'd not feel comfortable with them unless I replaced them altogether.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:28:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › leaking fork seal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.