9 inch Z bars (Read 60 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
9 inch Z bars
08/19/07 at 15:52:03

I found a set on 9inch Z bars for sale for $30.  Will they go straight on my '87 with buckhorns on it now or will i need longer cables and will i need new risers?.  thanks in advance

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: 9 inch Z bars
Reply #1 - 08/19/07 at 21:15:25

Hey, bought a set of those old bars from zimlady huh? I've got the 3" and 6" from her. I prefer the 6" because they're wider than the 3" or 9," though I wish I'd got a pair of 9" from her while I was at it. I can't seem to get enough handlebars.

To answer your question: I think the brake hose, cables and wires will probably fit okay with the 9" bars. Even though they might be a bit taller; they pull back less, so the difference may work out alright.

A couple of warning/tips for you from someone who has done a lot of handlebar swapping: Cover your tank with at least one big soft towel, two is better. Before you put the bars into the risers; go ahead and slip the levers/controls and grips onto the bars on both ends; then get the bars half tight in the risers; then set the bars into the risers and start to adjust and tighten everything. Now with everything only half tightened (the official prototyping term is "bubble-gummed") together, do your final sitting on the bike and get everything where you think you want it, the finally torque it down. If you follow these steps, instead of haphazardly jumping from one task to another, you can change bars in 10 minutes instead of 20! (Providing you don't have trouble with the end caps or getting a stubborn grip off the bars.

I like the old 70s Z-Bar look. Here's my 99 with a couple of different configurations:

The top picture are zimlady's 6" bars on low risers, and the top picture are zimlady's 3" bars on about 8" risers. Your 9" Z-bars on short buckhorn risers should be slightly shorter than the bottom ones.

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #2 - 08/19/07 at 22:00:35

they are the ones I was looking at and thanks for the tips.  Do you think it rides any better with the Z's?

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 08/20/07 at 02:02:27

Yeah, I think in lots of ways the Z-bars are an improvement over the buckhorns, or the tall risers and wide bars I have on the 99 now:

The fact that they're not pulled/turned back at as much angle as the buckhorns is more comfortable. And since you can tilt them forward and backward, it gives a degree of adjustment that isn't available with my current tall risers. Those bars are where they are, and I'm stuck with them. I'm getting yet one more set of bars to add to my collection: short 10"-12" apehangers. I'd sworn that I'd never use them, but with my extended front forks, a set of short apehangers that I can adjust back and forth may be perfect.

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #4 - 08/20/07 at 09:10:52

I've got 10" z-bars on mine and they fit on just fine. Plenty of room for cables

WWW   IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #5 - 08/20/07 at 13:58:16

Thanks Chaps I ordered them from Zimlady today

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #6 - 08/20/07 at 14:20:13

You'll luv the Z-bars and those Zimalady ones are excellent quality. I have the 6" on my ride.
Post some pics when you get em mounted.

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #7 - 08/20/07 at 18:10:19

Wiil do

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:26:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 9 inch Z bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.