Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2001 Savage won't start after changing clutch cabl (Read 6 times)
Barb_Indiana
Ex Member

2001 Savage won't start after changing clutch cabl
08/19/07 at 15:16:28

I do NOT repair motorcycles, but felt that my husband and I could tackle the replacement of the clutch cable that snapped the other day.  I bought the part online and we took off seat and tank.  Cable went on without a hitch.  Put tank back on and set seat on - took a short ride (1/2 block) to ensure the spedo cable worked before bolting seat on.  Bolted seat on.  After that, bike started and would idle, but would not stay started.  Died anytime I gave it the tinyest bit of gas.  Could restart, but would not stay started for very long.  Decided to let it sit awhile, assuming we flooded it. Tried about a 1/2 hour later and it would not start at all.  Finally ran battery down.  (that was all  yesterday).  This morning tried to start but wouldn't - ran battery down trying.  Charged battery.  Still won't start at all.  
I have checked the two hoses that I disconnected to take the tank off - they are both OK.
The owners manual (and this site) suggest a "fuel system check" where I loosen the drain screw under the carburetor, blah, blah... I found that fuel IS reaching the carburetor.
Took the tank back off to check the spark plug.  Husband said that the spark plug cap was not pushed down firmly - that it must have gotten tugged loose when we had the tank off the first time (hmmm?)  Anyway, we took the spark plug out and it didn't look bad - I wiped it off a bit.  Put it all back together... (now I wish we had done the spark plug firing check that I read about online).  Anyway - put it all back together and it won't start.
I have avoided calling anything a "thingy" and hope I have described my problem and unsuccessful resolutions so far - but in reality, I have no business working on my bike.  BUT I think it is FUN. Cheesy
I certainly will take the bike to the shop if there isn't anything else anyone thinks I can try on my own.
2001 Savage - I bought in 2002 with 600 miles.  Currently 12K miles.
Thanks
Barb

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Re: 2001 Savage won't start after changing clutch
Reply #1 - 08/19/07 at 18:15:12

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:15:07 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 08/19/07 at 20:34:00

Not sure, but sounds like my oops the other day.  

Check the High voltage coil connections (the slide on connectors).  I was playing with jets and lifting the tank checking sparkplug over and over again.  Some where I had bumped mine and it did as you said.

You can take a flashlight and look since it's visible from the front of the tank.  It's on the left (shifter) side.  It's worth the fifteen seconds it takes to check.

Remember the clutch cable runs right next to the coil.........

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 08/20/07 at 05:43:10

Also be sure the fuel line and vacuum line are not reversed.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 08/20/07 at 06:55:56

What does it "won't stay started mean"?  It is idling in neutral and then dies without any action at all from you?  If so, it sounds like a fuel issue.

You do have plenty of gas in the tank, right?

Put the petc0ck in On or Res, and start the bike.  If it idles and then stops, get a rag or small jar and loosen the Phillips screw on the bottom of the carb.  That will drain the carb and tell if there is any gas in the carb bowl.  Normally you'll get about a 1/4 cup of gas outta there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:20:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2001 Savage won't start after changing clutch cabl

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.