Carburetor Problem (Read 6 times)
Cincy
YaBB Newbies

I love my Suzuki
Savage!

Cincinnati, OH
Carburetor Problem
08/17/07 at 10:23:37

I have an odd intermittant problem on my 1996 (12,000 miles).  Sometimes when I am cruising at highway speeds of 60 or higher my motor will cut out as if it is out of gas.  If I move the fuel valve lever to the prime position the bike will recover and run fine.  (I know not to leave it in this position after the engine is off as gas will continue to flow into the carb).  After reading some other postings here I thought there might be something in the gas tank so I removed and cleaned it and added an external filter between the gas tank and the carb.  No change.  It really isn't a huge problem but it is annoying.  Any insight into the nature of the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Carburetor Problem
Reply #1 - 08/17/07 at 10:28:37

sounds like the infamous diaphram in the petc0ck or the vac line running to it - might want to change the vac line just because it's a really cheap thing to do first, also you can take the petc0ck apart and clean/inspect it.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 08/17/07 at 10:30:14

This is not unheard of and it's often the sidestand interlock.  It will kill the engine if the bike is in gear and it thinks the sidestand is down.  If it's just slightly loose and jiggles, it can cause the engine to stutter.  The same can be said for a loose connector... or the stuff Reelthing mentioned above.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 08/17/07 at 10:32:07

Since you already cleaned out the pet0ck and filter...

The vacuum hose from the right side of the carb to the back tube of the petc0ck has to be air tight at both ends and without holes, if it looses vacuum (especially at speed) then the vacuum pressure won't be enough to pull the membrane far enough, the petc0ck wont let enough gas past to feed the engine.

Take the tube off, inspect it for leaks, if it has a leak replace it or cut it off if you can.  If there are no leaks, put a little dab of sealant on both plugs and then put the tube back on (make sure the hose clamps are squeezing the hose a little and not just sitting there).  If the clamps aren't holding tight you can substitute some trash bag twist tie wires to hold the tube tight around the plug.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/17/07 at 10:35:12

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Cincy
YaBB Newbies

I love my Suzuki
Savage!

Cincinnati, OH
Reply #5 - 08/17/07 at 10:44:43

Thanks Balderdash!  A vacuum leak sounds very reasonable and I will make the twist tie/sealant repair as you suggested.  Thanks again! Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/17/07 at 11:35:19

I've had the same problem with my '96.
So I've run on 'Res' since I've gotten it and it runs fine that way.  Just have to watch my gas closely.  That's easy to do durring the week.

I'm thinking it may be either a leaky vac line, clogged or varnished over petc0ck screen or the diapham may be hardening.  Replaced the vac line, no fuel in it either, had the petc0ck out and completely apart with no evidence of a problem.  It's also possible when I had it apart that it didn't go back together correctly and the spring is out of place.  Some day I'll take it apart again.

WWW   IP Logged
Cincy
YaBB Newbies

I love my Suzuki
Savage!

Cincinnati, OH
Reply #7 - 08/20/07 at 14:09:39

I found that there was no clamp next to the fuel valve so all I had to do was fit the hose tighter and install twist-tie clamps and the problem seems to be corrected.  When I described this problem to my stealership over a year ago, you would have thought that they could have had a clue to the problem.  Instead, they diagnosed an electrical problem and needlessly replaced my starter switch for $200.

Thanks again for a great and easy fix!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 08/20/07 at 15:27:57

Cincy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
 When I described this problem to my stealership over a year ago, you would have thought that they could have had a clue to the problem.  Instead, they diagnosed an electrical problem and needlessly replaced my starter switch for $200.

Thanks again for a great and easy fix!

they look something like this:

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:20:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.