Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
n00bie questions (Read 5 times)
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
n00bie questions
08/15/07 at 17:40:27

hey guys i just got a savage last week on trade for a K5 blazer.

never had a street bike but have ridden several dirtbikes over the years.

first question is about the gas petcock. i recall on my dirtbikes they had a on, off, and reserve position. on this bike i believe it only has primary, on, and reserve. there is no off position. now what is the correct position for when the bike is parked for a few days? on and reserve are pretty simple just wondering is there is an off position?

also i see the S40 mentioned a lot. is this the same as my 650? is it the same bike just a different way of saying the name or is it a completly different bike? on some websites  i notice they list the S40 but no suzuki savage. just wondering if its the same bike and parts should fit either or?

thanks guys. ive been reading as much as i can the last few days.. lots of debate over seats and handlebars but im just trying to figure out the basics here.
good place
_Frank

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: n00bie questions
Reply #1 - 08/15/07 at 19:20:34

Suzuki renamed the Savage, S40 when they created the boulevard line.  Same bike.
 The gas petc0ck has a vacuum piston in it that automatically opens fuel flow when the engine vacuum pulls it.  (Can be real trouble when it malfunctions!).  So, anyway, On and reserve both rely on vacuum, prime position is for times when the float bowl may have evaporated, or for some other reason be empty, it allows gas to flow freely without engine vacuum.

Welcome Newbie!  BTW, the automated site censor will change the spelling of the word petc0ck to petcock to protect our delicate sensibilities from that obscene word.  You'll get used to it.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #2 - 08/16/07 at 10:42:50

thank you. so s40 is the same thing that makes sense Smiley

i cannot wait to go ride i just need to get a helmet.

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 08/16/07 at 10:50:10

Yes, the S40 and the LS650 Savage are practically identical bikes. Just a few cosmetic changes from what I can tell.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/16/07 at 10:54:51

Both are LS650 models.  They just have different marketing names.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 17:13:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › n00bie questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.