Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about first gear (Read 11 times)
xdmkii
Ex Member

Question about first gear
08/15/07 at 10:44:41

Hi all. I just got a new LS650 last week and I had a question for other Savage owners. When I slow down to stop, I disengage the clutch and start shifting down through the gears. I've noticed that if I still have a bit of speed (above 20mph), the bike does not like to go into first. It's fine at under 10mph. Maybe this is just a safety feature? I see no mention of it in the manual.

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Re: Question about first gear
Reply #1 - 08/15/07 at 10:53:04

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:19:40 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 08/15/07 at 11:21:25

xdmkii wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Hi all. I just got a new LS650 last week and I had a question for other Savage owners. When I slow down to stop, I disengage the clutch and start shifting down through the gears. I've noticed that if I still have a bit of speed (above 20mph), the bike does not like to go into first. It's fine at under 10mph. Maybe this is just a safety feature? I see no mention of it in the manual.

But it's mentioned in quite a few other threads.  Best practice is to downshift while moving.  If you are stopped, feather the clutch to allow the current gear to engage and then reattempt to shift.  Do not try to force it.  You will bend a linkage rod and make it even more difficult to shift.  The rod is about $5 and easy to change but why bother if you don't have to?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
xdmkii
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/15/07 at 13:03:33

Thanks for the information. I'm still fairly new to riding and I would never force anything mechanical. Whenever I would get resistance, I would slow down more and try again. I'll try feathering next time I'm stopped. I just wanted to make sure this was normal behavior for this bike.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #4 - 08/15/07 at 17:55:02

???  Lets see if I can make this make sense.   When shifting up when I am just doing some easy cruising, I shift at 15, 25, 35, 45.  When shifting down, I do it around 40, 30, 20 and 10.  When I do this I find I still have enough to get me out of trouble if I need to accelerate, and at the same time not putting any stress on the engine, clutch, tranny or belt.  It seems to shift and handle these speeds very smoothly.
What do you experts think?? ???

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/16/07 at 05:24:27

I haven't paid that much attention to the speeds at which I shift, especially in the lower gears.  However, I'm pretty sure I typically upshift into 4th between 40 and 45 and into 5th between 50 and 60.  I downshift into 4th between 55 and 50 and into 3rd around 40.  At least that seems right to me.  I'll have to pay more attention to verify.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 08/16/07 at 07:20:00

I noticed that "Double clutching" is sometimes needed.  If you don't know what double clutching is, ask an old timer (dad grandfather etc etc)

Here's a picture of the tranny.  Notice what is missing, synchronizers and spiral gear faces for quite & smooth operation.  But, it is a pretty robust tranny.....Picture is a tranny with 10K miles....

For bigger Picture
see: http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/Tranny.JPG

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 08/16/07 at 07:39:10

Also, with a tach on the bike,  I notice that you have to shift at 2K rpm because it lugs just a little too much.  At 3K rpm you do have some torque.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:21:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about first gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.