drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Carb Help Please
08/15/07 at 08:54:27

Sitting here on a rainy day rebuilding the carb. Things were going smoothly until I got to the "slider" thing. Down inside, where the little brass plate screws in over the rod with the little white washer on it. Do the slots in the brass plate cover, or go over the 2 little holes in the bottom? And I notice it's got a small peen in it. Does that signify which side up or down? I put it back in with the peen facing up, and the 2 holes don't quite line up with the slots. It looks like if I flip it over so the peen is facing down, the holes will line up with the slots.
I know......I should pay more attention when taking it apart. Lesson well learned.
Any info on this would be appreciated. I don't want to assemble it wrong and have it not run.
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Carb Help Please
Reply #1 - 08/15/07 at 09:24:00

Does it fit more than one way?

I did the white spacer mod 2 weeks ago and had to rotate plate 180 degrees to get the holes to line up.  But  didn't think about the flipping it over.    

Plate did mount flat against the slide.  With this in mind, you would only have to worry if the peen was up, would it hit anything.

I know you probably can't wait, but I was going to take my carb apart this weekend to put the new Jet's Lancer sent me.  I could look then......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/15/07 at 10:45:16

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:20:39 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 08/15/07 at 11:09:37

A simple search on "carb" and "dimple", turns up everything you've asked about... among them, this entry by Steve530.

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
...The needle has, from the top, the spacer, the e-clip, a washer, and the spring.

The lock plate has a dimple which is installed down, toward the spacer.  It actually sits on the spacer and hold the lock plate off the washer a bit. I have no idea why.  The plate has two holes for the screws and three slots. One is at 2 o'clock, one at 6 o'clock and another at 10 o'clock. The 2 and 10 o'clock slots uncover two holes in the diaphram.  Again I have no idea why they are there.

Finally the upper lip of the diaphram has a small tab that goes into a groove in the carb body.  I assume that this locates the assembly in the correct position.

Steve

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 08/15/07 at 14:18:11

Thank you guys. I got it together, dimple down and the 2 holes line right up. For future reference: buy a small magnetic tip phillips screwdriver. This would have saved me about an hour.  Man, them are some tiny screws way down in there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:33:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Help Please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.