Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Would you be interested in a section for trikes & sidecars?

Make it a stand alone section.  
  0 (0%)
Add it to the modification area  
  1 (100%)

Total votes: 1
« Created by: easymoney on: 02/07/24 at 14:54:42 »

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 ... 176
Send Topic Print
Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS) (Read 41165 times)
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTION
Reply #2475 - 12/02/20 at 10:50:00

Hello all, I am Steve from northern Nevada.  I sort of "fell into" owning an '86 Savage that I bought for some suspension parts.  The PO had a front end off of a '05 Honda CBR600RR on it, and some reservoir rear shocks.  He was going to turn it into a street tracker for his wife, but ended up with too many projects.  I wanted the modern front end and rear shocks for a resto mod Kawasaki I am currently building, so I picked up the non-running Savage for a very cheap price.  I got the stock front end with it, so it is still a roller.  Wiring is a bit butchered, but the motor spins and has compression.  My plan is to turn it into a tracker or a scrambler themed bike.  This pic is how it currently sits.

129301224_10216389007932819_2264082390893852843_o.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Jim Rogers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2476 - 12/31/20 at 16:55:33

Picked up my first S40 last Saturday-- a 2006 with 7K miles, near pristine, and lots of extras. Only paid $1,750, so very happy!

Looking forward to participating in this forum!

IP Logged
Jim Rogers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2477 - 12/31/20 at 16:58:47

Now that I can post a link, here's the picture.

Unfortunately, as you can see, the weather is such that I won't be riding it for awhile...  Sad

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2478 - 12/31/20 at 18:48:04

Looks good. Enjoy the new machine.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2479 - 01/01/21 at 14:30:47

TheSneeze wrote on 12/02/20 at 10:50:00:
Hello all, I am Steve from northern Nevada.  I sort of "fell into" owning an '86 Savage that I bought for some suspension parts.  The PO had a front end off of a '05 Honda CBR600RR on it, and some reservoir rear shocks.  He was going to turn it into a street tracker for his wife, but ended up with too many projects.  I wanted the modern front end and rear shocks for a resto mod Kawasaki I am currently building, so I picked up the non-running Savage for a very cheap price.  I got the stock front end with it, so it is still a roller.  Wiring is a bit butchered, but the motor spins and has compression.  My plan is to turn it into a tracker or a scrambler themed bike.  This pic is how it currently sits.

It has POTENTIAL !   Cool

« Last Edit: 01/07/21 at 04:25:06 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Roadster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Florida
Reply #2480 - 01/03/21 at 14:05:41

SmileyHello Savage fans!
I am JJ, I have been admiring this web site for some two years now from the shades. Some wonderful people are here and they have excellent knowledge and a benevolent general attitude.
I have worked with marine electronics and electrics on high seas since 1980. Quite a difference on my field since 40 years - the only tubes (valves for the Norteamericanos) are the magnetrons in radar and those are on the way of the dodo in some years. I have some years left I hope. Savage is the embodiment of the technology of the ‘80s and I feel right at home.

I have had bikes since the early ‘70s, from moped to Zundapp DB200, Jawa250, Honda CL72, CX500C, MZ TS125, Suzuki GT750J, Kawasaki Samurai, BMWR1100R. Everything that rotates interests the fool. But the older I got, the less I drove. My last bike, the Beemer I had for 17 years with 6000 miles on the clock when I gave it to my son-in-law. That was 2017.

Enter the COVID-19 virus.

I have searched for a TLC -level Savage since March when I stopped working due to virus and the risks it poses. In August I found one some miles away and drove her home as my emotional support animal to weather out the virus. Matching the budget pricing, she has had a rough life already. She was marinated in Atlantic salt sprays for years under a palm tree if at that and she was finally resurrected on the last moment to commuter duty with her oxidized aluminum painted over with matte black rattle-can and rusted chrome bling ground dim with sand paper. But the PO claimed that her 3000 miles shown was real and engine started and run happily. It stopped with after-fire so I knew it was not really molested. Sure enough, I drove home with a smile. The cam chain plunger was 13.4mm out so the 3000 miles is quite believable. Original tires she had too, all rounded up from the sun exposure. Oil test drop on business card came out clear and oil did smell and look and feel ok. Poof. First part of budget- check.
I have preference over roadster -type of a steed and from these pages I learned about the potential of Savage for such a conversion. So I got to work with masseuse tools enforced with angle grinder and battery drill and hack saw and metric tap kit and my stainless bolt and nut marine installation stash. In November I invested into a Harbor Freight drill press and screw bench for it as I noticed that none of my newly-drilled holes were so straight.
I invested about a 1000 bucks on eBay and ordered some bright work and wheels with usable tires and a triple-tree lower part and 25tooth front pulley and a spare pulley bushing and GT750 rear light and GS750 rear fender (my friend builds my old GT up in Finland as he retires in February - this GT rear is a tribute) and GS650 center stand and Intruder 800 footrest support and GT750 gear pedal Intruder 1400 rear brake pedal and links and Kawasaki 400 instruments and long engine bolts and other leftover stuff from SV650 stripping and rust encapsulating rattle can of matte black paint. I also ordered a ultra-cheap (and thin) Chinese tank for GN125 and two ultra-cheap RFY 350mm shocks to raise the rear (very good shocks even without fill-up and higher gas pressure IMO) intended for small ATVs. This is a budget build taking advantage from the two-meter social distance requirement which allows some gross imperfections on a 2004-model with ex-beach boy background. I rigged an electrolytic rust converter bath from a 6V battery charger and started converting rust back to iron, I cut the lower triple-tree shaft off and drilled the stub off using the Harbor Freight step-drill which had the exact size. Now I can let the fork drop down 50mm to make the steering less radical. I reinforced the upper triple-tree to take the original handler and I rigged the mid-controls to work in unison with the original gearshift and brake pedals. I re-purposed a tile cutter electric motor to turn a Harbor Freight rag disk to polish the oxidized aluminum parts - fork legs, engine sides, triple-trees, what ever there was. A lot of wire-brush - 120 -320 - 600. - 1000 sequences preceding the enjoyment of seeing the aluminum shine. Lint now covers many a surface on my garage. Along the project, I took some pics, mostly after but I will publish some. As many of my processes are quite non-professional and will certainly need ‘don’t try this at home’ parameter set, I will be suitably light in many details as many of my mods are directly dealing with brakes, gears, instrumentation and frame geometry, all affecting the unit in traffic situations. As she left factory this motorcycle of mine is not. But the daily tinkering has kept me sane. Or has it?

Verslagen, Gary from NJ, SavageBob, Oldfeller, Super-Bike Mike and many other talents both in technology and altruism are like characters on This Old House but infinitely more accessible and free from any commercial links and aspirations. I have daily referred to the parts list, service manual and Motorcycle Handyman CD made available on this site for no cost. This website is a wonderful and remarkable resource Thank you for letting me participate.

Suzuki Savage on its various appearances has not been a perfect product from the Factory. Carburator and emissions on a single cylinder air-cooled engine are not really compatible without compromises in drivability. The expansion of the high cylinder really calls for a better design of cam chain tensioning system. The front brake has been weak from the beginning, the economy has won over usability. But all this just seems to increase the charm of this motorcycle. It is just simple enough that fixing these items seems to be possible to a mere mortal, adding sense of ownership and encouraging tinkering. No computerization to dazzle the uninitiated, no data bus, only three diodes in starter logic and a manual choke will please the owner from the onset. I have had old English Fords (Anglias and Cortinas) and there is a very similar often deceptive I admit, aura of general simplicity with the Savage: I can fix this, I can repair this, I can modify this. For someone like me who cannot leave something well enough alone, the pull of Savage has been impossible to resist. This site adds gasoline to the flames.
I hope you all members feel properly thanked because this praise of what this website represents is all true.
Stay healthy and keep the shiny side up!

53AE3D3B-1FE8-4AC0-856F-74CCC4669F2E.jpeg

Roadster with center controls and -stand. Originals retained for Easy Rider -work. GT750 rear. Kawa EN500 pulley. Kawa 400 clocks. Key up. Exhaust pipe opened to 35mm. Front down 50mm, rear up. FUN!
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2481 - 01/03/21 at 16:12:02

Good looking Savage JJ (Roadster). Very tasteful and purposeful mods.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Kelly K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bloomfield, NJ
Reply #2482 - 01/05/21 at 15:40:54

Hi all!
I’m a new owner of a 2013 Boulevard, recently took a riding course and got my license. I live in NJ. Been reading the posts and find them helpful. Still a bit scared to do my own maintenance, but there’s always room for growth.
Looking forward to riding and learning.

Kelly K
2013 Boulevard S40
NJ
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #2483 - 01/05/21 at 16:05:37

Kbomb,

Always nice to welcome another Jerseyite to the Savage world. Glad to hear you took a riding course. The roads and drivers in Jersey keep you on your toes.

IP Logged
Jim Rogers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2484 - 01/05/21 at 16:44:35

(Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it's not a question and I'm still in the introduction phase of my membership here, so I'll post it in this thread.)

I bought my S40 10 days ago. I didn't really get to test drive it and had to trailer it home due to snow (see my post #2477 above for the evidence!).

Because I bought it just across the border in another state, my DMV requires an inspection. I wanted to avoid having to get a trailer again, and today it happened to get up to 40 degrees. Another moderate snow predicted for tomorrow, so I figured this was my chance-- my first time riding an S40!

The ride was only 14 miles (round trip), but I'll have to say that so far this bike is already exceeding my expectations. Power is good and I like the seating position. I'm 6'1" and have a 34" inseam and I don't feel cramped at all. Very natural and comfortable.

What really surprises me is how good it sounds. It has the stock exhaust, and I think the tone is deep and very pleasing. It sounds way better than my KLR650 (another 650 single). I was planning on doing the Harley exhaust conversion that I've read about here, but now I'm thinking I might stick with stock.

It was a quick and really wet ride, but I got it inspected and rinsed it down well to get rid of any salt before tucking it away for the rest of the winter.

But that little taste of riding it has mean even more anxious for spring to come!

IP Logged
Mazdog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2485 - 01/07/21 at 01:29:01

Hello. Mazdog here. I'm 38, from Central Wisconsin, and I've been a lurker here for a few years and I love all the information I've been able to use from this forum. I've been into motorcycles since before I had a drivers license and have always been drawn to the simplicity of the S40. Over the last couple years I've had two of them and loved every minute!

Current Bikes:
  - '96 Suzuki Savage
  - '79 Yamaha XS11 (Cafe style)
  - '86 BMW K75
  - '78 Honda XR250L
  - '08 Yamaha C3 (Not a bike, I know)

IP Logged
Charming Snake
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2486 - 01/08/21 at 11:05:44

Hey guys my name is Josh J. I live in Charlotte, NC if any of you guys are down to ride.  I have a 1981 GS450 that I am currently slowly turning into a chopper. Great sight for good information!

suzukidookie.jpg
  IP Logged
CHMcGregor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2487 - 01/12/21 at 05:01:58

Hi folks, Charles here, I belong to the City Of Charles Sturt in the State of South Australia, Australia, I've been riding Mountain bikes my whole life and electric Mountain bikes for the last 6 years, never really needed a license because I've lived close to town my whole adult life, but at 48 I decided it was time to get my first gas powered vehicle and a 2015 S40 with just over 100 kilometers on the clock was love at first sight. I come from the No F%$#ng Idea School of mechanics and first try I broke the part attached to the block that holds the clutch cable in place, virtually writing off a brand new bike with one twist of the spanner (steel cables ties came from Devine inspiration from God) so I have great anxiety attached to working on it now, worried I might crack the head polishing the tank, so quite glad this resource exists. As I said, I know nothing about mechanics, so bare with me if I ask the stupids.
Don't have a photo of me on my bike, and that's a little hard to execute on my lonesome, so I made y'all a pretty collage of my bike, my scone and my very involved, pimp my ride, bicycle bell on the handlebars custom modification (don't get jealous ding! ding!).

Collage_2021-01-12_23_14_35_001.jpg

It will probably die before 5000 on the clock
  IP Logged
Tom W
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2488 - 01/19/21 at 13:26:36

Hi everyone. Tom here from Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. I am not a cruiser fan but I noticed the S40 years ago and figured it had potential to be a nice bike with a few mods. Just a basic old school bike with a beautiful engine and chrome wheels. I usually hate it when someone takes a beautiful machine and turns it into something not so much but in my opinion the S40 needed something.
I was inspired when I saw what RYCA did with the cafe racer although I just wanted something comfortable for an old tall guy with aches and pains.
Two months ago I bought a 2010 with 25,000 kilometers. Here is a list of modifications:
13" Progressive shocks (a bit stiff for a small bike)
Removed belt guard
Removed rear foot pegs
Dyna muffler
Extended the side stand
Removed chrome handles from fender
Mounted blinkers on fender
Raised back of tank 3/4"
Installed Raptor 660 petcock
Raised front of seat 1"
Added a inch of padding to front of seat
Reshaped back of seat
Reupholstered seat
Lengthened cam chain adjuster
Reduced white spacer in carb.
What a difference! It is so comfortable now. I would have kept the original muffler but couldn't stand the whistling sound. Thanks for all the great advice.

20210112_154236_HDR20.jpg
  IP Logged
Roadster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Florida
Reply #2489 - 01/29/21 at 20:09:27

Hi Savage fans!

Addin' a photo of mi Roadster

Cheers!

JJ

Myphoto_2020.JPG

Roadster with center controls and -stand. Originals retained for Easy Rider -work. GT750 rear. Kawa EN500 pulley. Kawa 400 clocks. Key up. Exhaust pipe opened to 35mm. Front down 50mm, rear up. FUN!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 ... 176
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 07:47:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.