Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Would you be interested in a section for trikes & sidecars?

Make it a stand alone section.  
  0 (0%)
Add it to the modification area  
  1 (100%)

Total votes: 1
« Created by: easymoney on: 02/07/24 at 14:54:42 »

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 ... 176
Send Topic Print
Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS) (Read 41165 times)
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTION
Reply #2130 - 12/01/16 at 18:24:18

twhitus, Welcome to our nightmare! I too am in Fla., along with several other members. What county are you in?

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #2131 - 12/03/16 at 03:11:12

i live in pinellas county, so far i like the weather here for riding. but i had to add the windshield due to the constant sand blasting from car tires kicking it up in the air.  
the traffic on the other hand can be a bit, um, bonkers.

IP Logged
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Reply #2132 - 12/08/16 at 05:52:42

Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself. Only passed my motorcycle test around 6 weeks ago and 4 weeks ago I bought my 1999 Savage. I have to admit to not even knowing what a LS650 was until I happened on an advertisement in the local Craigslist and liked what I saw...once I took it for a test drive I was sold and I couldn't be happier....she is a little rough around the edges but I have been giving her some TLC which has been great, not to just improve the bikes looks and performance but also its really helped me learn the engine and bike in general.

Super happy that there is this great community and hope to get to know you and maybe ride together sometime in the near future.

I am located in New York City, NY...if anyone else is close by, gimme a holla!

All the best everyone and ride safe.

JD

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2133 - 12/09/16 at 11:05:25

Hello from Philly!
I'm very pleased to meet you all.

Ok so, history...

Age 10 - 25 Dirt bikes and ATC's (80cc - 650cc) mostly hare scrambles.
25 - 40 Various cages
40 - 43 Diamondback Hybrid bicycle
43 - 44 2007 S40 "Thumpy"

So I got Thumpy used for $1900 because all I found were reviews saying it is a good beginner bike. I disagree! The S40 is scary and wobbly at low speeds and bucky on rough highways. At least for somebody who spent the last 3 years riding a bicycle in city traffic anyways.
But I'm all dialed in now and cannot begin to describe how much I appreciate everything about my little Thumpy. Suzuki did something right with this design. It's timeless and functional and a heck of alot of fun. It's also fun watching people try to figure out what kind of bike it is and that happens almost every time I take it out.

Currently I'm in the process of dialing in Thumpy to my liking now. 1st thing to go was that massively ugly geek box on the rear fender. Frankly that thing almost made me not buy the bike. But it is gone now and Thumpy is completely adorable without it. What were they thinking when they came up with that giant eyesore of a brake light?

I've fixed problems I have inherited form the previous owner - broken turn signals and rusted out badly repacked muffler. Found a pair of Dynas and put one on. Pure happiness. No more sounding like a VW bug!
And I got caught up with the scheduled maintenance the previous owner seems to have totally ignored...

So now I focus on gripes.
Poor headlight output - Ordered a new one, it's in the mail now
Poor passing power - ordered big bore and cam, in the mail now
skidding/not stopping when cut off by cagers - planning to order Ryca big blrake kit
Getting my behind beat on the lunar surface highways around Philly - Bought some 6 month old used Progressive 412s from a craigslist ad - In the process of modifying and installing them now. They came off of a HD roadglide so plenty of fun and blisters making them fit. they had steel jacketed bushings that were a complete and utter PITA to remove. But they are off now and I just got new Bushings from Dime City in the mail yesterday - Yay!

So here's Thumpy in Fall Fashion mode.

thumpy-small-1.jpg

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2134 - 12/09/16 at 12:39:41

Mike,

Welcome aboard. I too am from Pennsylvania, but now live in North Texas, we moved here from Lititz.

I worked in Philly back in the 60's, the summer of 1960 I worked at Pat's Steaks and after I graduated I worked at Zable Brothers at 5th. & Columbia.

How about some pics of the geek box being incised?

Here is a pic of my S40.

Kenny G

IMG_0456.JPG
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2135 - 12/09/16 at 13:35:15

Hi Kenny

Do you miss the Pat's Cheese Steaks? Don't worry they aren't the same nowadays. In general restaurant food of all kinds seems to be declining in quality pretty bad in this town.
I bet you don't miss the winters!  Cheesy

Your S40 looks great Kenny! Thanks for the warm welcome. I posted about the geek box for you in the appropriate section.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #2136 - 12/09/16 at 13:56:21

Mike,

I don't miss Pennsylvania winters, but today it is in the teens here in North Texas. I am able to ride here about 49 or 50 weeks out of the year.

The closet thing here to a Philly Cheese Steak is made by me, including slicing up the meat and making the rolls. Texas doesn't like hard rolls.

What I would give for a trip to 9th. Street, I can't think of the name of the bakery, it's about a block from Fiorelli Brothers or Bruno's Cheese Store.

Kenny G

Kens_Steak_Sandwhich_001.JPG
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2137 - 12/10/16 at 20:28:03

Looks yummy!
The Italian Market area still has some very nice eateries, produce, meat and seafood shops.
And Port Richmond still has some really awesome Polish food.

Went out to run my errands today and couldn't feel my face when I got back. I wouldn't miss these winters either if I moved someplace warmer with a longer riding season.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #2138 - 12/10/16 at 20:51:06

Mike,

Thanks.

I haven't been to the Italian Market in 10 years, but it was leaning towards the Vietnamese when I was there.

I loved that Polish food from Port Richmond.

And the pork sandwiches from the Reading Terminal.

It is supposed to be 70 degrees here tomorrow so I will be riding in the morning.

Kenny G

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2139 - 12/11/16 at 08:04:28

I must say I'm very jealous. 70? Really?
It's supposed to go up to the 50's here on Tuesday but it's also going to rain the entire day  Angry

Reading Terminal still has the pork sandwich shop! Expensive but darn good.
The Vietnamese only spread to about 3 blocks along Washington Ave. I think nowadays they are competing for property with the Lebanese. The Lebanese community that sprang up is quite lively with some very entertaining and colorful street parties complete with tasty food, dancing and live music. Nothing against the Vietnamese but the Lebanese sure know how to have a good time  Grin
The Vietnamese put in a few very high class clubs though that I hear are very nice but I can't afford the cover charge...
The block parties only cost $5

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
G'day from Australia
Reply #2140 - 12/16/16 at 03:45:26

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and new to riding. My girlfriend was riding before I met her and ... well  ... now I ride too.  Cool

I live in a place called Phillip Island in southeast Australia. The Island is known mostly for Penguins and the MotoGP track. I'm not a MotoGP kinda guy but it is fun to watch the race on the telly while listening to it live out the back door. It's also fun to see all the bike convoys that come down to the Island when it's on. We have beautiful coast roads and twistys through the hills nearby, but to get to them we have to run the gauntlet along the Bass Highway for about 20 minutes. The Bass Highway just about always has amazing crosswinds and/or headwinds.

I rode trail bikes as a kid but hadn't ridden for over 30 years. I got my learners permit three months ago and my provisional licence a week ago. I've done over 3500 kms (2200 miles in that time). Lovin' it.

At first I bought a 2010 Ninja 250R with, 600 kms on it, from a friend of a friend "to get the party started", as an elderly biker friend put it. It is a beautiful machine and the Yoshi slip on exhaust sounds amazing. It was fun to ride but alas, once I knew what I was doing, I realised it was the exact opposite of what I wanted in just about every way!

So my girlfriend 'inherited' the Ninja and will sell her older ZZR 250.

I did a lot of research into what kind of cruiser I wanted and initially settled on the V Star 650 (in theory). Then I sat on one - back to the drawing board. A salesman at the bike shop introduced me to the Boulevard S40. Then I sat on one - Bingo!

This site was a valuable resource while I was researching bikes and preparing to buy one.

I test rode two second-hand 2014 S40s (there were exactly four for sale in my state on the leading motorcycle sale site, and only eight in the whole country.) The first one had been sitting in the guy's driveway for about a year and had rust in all the chrome parts. It also ran very rough. The second one was in great nic. so I bought that one. I rode pillion on the girlfriend's Ninja for an hour to pick it up, and rode back for an hour on my S40 - pure bliss!!

The rest, if you're interested, are some specifics about plans for the bike. All of them are inspired by this site.

Last weekend I moved the rear turn signals to the licence plate holder, to accommodate some saddle bags. I made a bracket from aluminium and spliced the wires to lengthen them (here's a friendly tip: On the late model S40, the screws that hold the signal housing onto the bike will pinch the wires and short the lights if you screw them in too tight, just sayin' Undecided).

Tonight I ordered some Willie and Max Black Magic Slant Saddlebags and some Suzuki OEM saddlebag support brackets (Another tip: On the late model S40s the centre bolt on the fender rail has been moved to the INSIDE of the fender, so the OEM brackets look like the only one's that will fit.)

A coupe of weeks ago I picked up a pair of  HD Dyna mufflers with the appropriate bolt rails. They came off a new bike. I want to get an adapter made up to account for the kick at the end of the stock muffler. And I've spoken to a mechanic friend about re-jetting it for me when the time comes.

I plan to replace the seat. Honestly, the stock seat looks like it was designed by the guy who designs seats for buses and trains. At this stage I'm leaning toward a Corbin seat.

I was going to add a post to the tech section about the bracket I made up to relocate the turn signals (I took photos along the way) but I'm not sure if it's really going to add much to what is already there. I would welcome opinions on that  Smiley

Anyway, I love the bike, Really appreciate this site. And look forward to more reading and more posting.

Cheers

Kieran

This is me and the bike the day I rode home:

s40-1.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2141 - 12/16/16 at 04:47:49

Welcome to the "club," Kiernan. I joined a year ago & found a lot of great information here about the care & feeding of the S40. Check out the links on the right side of the Home page; they cover many of the issues our bikes have.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2142 - 12/16/16 at 07:18:47

Hi Kieran and welcome.
I'm new here too and I just had to laugh when I read about you changing your turn signal mounting right off the bat since it was the 1st thing I had to do on my bike. Naturally next came the Dyna muffler LOL!
I wonder how many others have gone through the same pattern.

Understandable about the Vstar 650. My other half owns one and I can't stand riding it. She's not real thrilled with it either. Up until highway speeds the S40 can run circles around it. I guess every star should have something orbiting it  Cheesy

I actually think the seats on my commuter train are more comfortable than the S40's seat. Still it's more comfortable than the Vstar's seat. If you get the Corbin I look forward to hearing your opinion on it.

Also should you get tired of looking at the nasty brake light like I did I posted about a good solution for replacing it in the Rubber Side Down section.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2143 - 12/16/16 at 17:01:49

Rodger wrote on 12/16/16 at 04:47:49:
Welcome to the "club," Kiernan. I joined a year ago & found a lot of great information here about the care & feeding of the S40. Check out the links on the right side of the Home page; they cover many of the issues our bikes have.

Thanks Rodger,

I had a quick scan through just now, and I see there is tons of interesting stuff in there. Lots to start working my way through Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2144 - 12/16/16 at 17:08:45

philthymike wrote on 12/16/16 at 07:18:47:
I actually think the seats on my commuter train are more comfortable than the S40's seat. Still it's more comfortable than the Vstar's seat. If you get the Corbin I look forward to hearing your opinion on it.

Also should you get tired of looking at the nasty brake light like I did I posted about a good solution for replacing it in the Rubber Side Down section.

Hi Mike, yeah I've come to understand that the S40 is quicker off the mark and a lot more nimble than the V Star. I'm so glad I went with the S40.

As for the rear brake light, it's funny you mention that. When I stood back to check out the turn signals after I moved them, the first thing I thought was 'now, what can I do about that ridiculous looking red box on top of the rear fender'. I'll look up your post in the tech section.

I'll post about the seat once I get it done. That might be a bit later on though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 ... 176
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:21:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.