Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 ... 177
Send Topic Print
Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS) (Read 41320 times)
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Re: Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTION
Reply #1515 - 10/21/12 at 19:37:08

Hello all! I've been floating around for a couple weeks and have made a few posts. I live in San Antonio, Texas- active duty Army. My 2009 S40 looks just about exactly like J C's^^^^, except I have saddlebags and a Jardine muffler.  I picked it up on a trade for my '03 Triumph Speed Triple. It may seem like kind of a drastic switch, but that was my second Triple after totalling the first one while being a royal jackass. It took two surgeries and three pins to put my left hand back together. My wife hated the replacement Triple. No fun owning a bike if you're constantly afraid your wife is going to kick it over in the driveway.  Roll EyesI surprised her with the trade. She wanted something she could ride comfortably (she is five foot even) and has always preferred cruisers. It was definitely a marriage motivated decision. Funny thing is I really ended up liking the bike and have gotten knee deep into reworking the carb. I was supposed to hand it off to my wife after a few months and buy a Monster, but I think I'm going to play around with this one for a while- until my wife takes it over anyway!
  I really appreciate all the info and friendly advice on this forum. It is a real bonus to be able to avoid trial and error mistakes because someone else is willing to tell you yes/no in advance! Grin

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #1516 - 10/22/12 at 20:20:28

Hi All, I'm Ken and I just got my Savage a month ago.  It's a 1997 that was neglected a bit.  It shows less than 3k on the clock though...got a great deal on it I just couldn't refuse.  It's not my first bike but it's my only thumper, my other four are v-twins.  It doesn't quite fit in yet style wise, but soon enough... Wink  I have it all apart on my bench now cleaning all the oxidation off, deciding what I'm gonna keep, what to toss, and what to sell

IMG_0762_1.JPG

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #1517 - 11/06/12 at 06:01:17

I joined the forum a few weeks back when I bought my first motorcycle, a 95 Savage.  I live in the St Louis metro area.  I am not new to automotive handiwork and relied on other forums for those as well.  After browsing here I immediately recognized all 3 of the main issues with this bike were being realized.  But funny thing was I new all 3 based on the rattling of the chain (cam tensioner), oil drips by header, and small drip of fuel from petcock.  I was able to knock the price down a lot and although at the time didn't know how hard or easy it would be to address.  I have the bike torn down now and addressing all 3 things so its ready in the spring for a fresh emergence.

IP Logged
jamforthelamb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #1518 - 11/13/12 at 19:57:28

Hello,

New member here with two suzukis in the family. My dad's 2009 and my 1987. Was already using this forum as resource for my dad's '09 (yep, petcock was bad), but signed up as I intend to do a lot more to my '87, and hope to share/get help/etc.

Look forward to chatting with you all.  Wink

Mine: 1987 Savage. Raptor Petcock, Drilled Exhaust.
Dads: 2009 Boulevard. Raptor Petcock.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #1519 - 11/13/12 at 20:18:00

Welcome aboard,  good to have you in our little family.  Your sure to find lots of useful information here.  If it's performance mods your looking for Lancer is the Man you want to speak to as he's got all the goodies for getting the most outta our Big single.  Verslagen1 has come up with a modified timing chain tensioner that lets you extend the life of your timing chain two fold and at the same time with the mod it doesn't allow it to come apart and grenade your engine.

Beware of Bill though if he comes back as he's known to give false and miss-leading information to new users to the forums.  Currently he's banned from the Rubber side down section of the forums which is where most of your tech and questions will be asked.  The tech section make sure you read the sticky post at the top for the rules.  That one is not a discussion area,  it is only for tried and true things and how to's.  The Cafe Section is kind of a chat area for lots of things but good manners must be observed in there at all times.   The (Tall Table) Section is kinda of a no holds bared area that's not really moderated for the most part as some of the subjects can really get people going there.  

I hope you enjoy the site and info as much as I do and learn as much as me and many folks have here, thanks to lots of knowledgeable people that have been here along time.

If I have on word of advise above all for your adventures in the Savage/S40 that would be to use the right oil in it.  If you don't your gonna have all sorts of issues ranging from pre-mature wear on your engine to clutch slippage.

Again Welcome aboard and read through the Tech section and you will learn lots of interesting things that can help you out long before you will have to post a single thread in the Rubber Side Down area.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #1520 - 11/13/12 at 20:43:53

Hello, I'm R.F. Warren

I don't think I ever did my post here come to think of it.   I live in the Tiny town in North East TX of Yantis.  Until buying my 96' Savage it has been over 15 years since I have ridden a Motorcycle.  I've had the itch to get back into it for years, just never had the money or chance to get back into it till recently.  I found a nice deal on mine for $1500 for one that was in good shape with about 7200 miles on the clock.  Only thing I changed at first was the front brakes and tires, and she was good to go.  Most of you have see the pics already as I have progressed in making the Savage more me, and it's always changing as I get the money to do more and more to it.  I'm not to happy with the Emgo long reverse cone muffler I have on it right now so that will soon be changed the next time I'm down in Tyler so I can drop by the Harley shop to see what they have on some Dyna take offs.  I will also soon be ordering a Stage 1 cam from Lancer then a Mikuni VM36 carb and following that a custom header build at Lancer's suggestion before I do the Overbore kit of his.

As for me I'm disabled so I'm on a limited budget so things have to happen in slow motion to get things done, but they do get done as quickly as I can scrape the  cash together.  For extra money I dabble in custom etching 1 or 2 layer circuit boards as well as some web page building.  I used to do some on-line game programming for text based RPG's but the market just kinda fell out on those type of games, plus the partner I had just kinda kicked me out of it, and since we had no written contract I was pretty much SOL  Angry

I also freelance in computer repair and custom computer rebuilding but only by word of mouth for doing that, so there is not really much coming in from that avenue.

Before I was disabled I was an OTR truck driver for about 6 years and before that I was a field engineer for General Dynamics in the Telecom and networking division mainly working on military infrastructure build outs, and upgrading their older networks to newer and better hardware with fiber optic up-links into the internet backbone plus some closed circuit links for secure cross country links between bases and essential government agencies.

For my hobbies mainly I'm a big computer nerd, I dabble in electronics and of course motorcycles and I also love working on performance light trucks, R/C Heli's and R/C Trucks.   Naturally it seems all my hobbies are expensive and with me on a fixed income I can't do much with my hobbies with my limited income, and often times when something breaks it takes awhile before I can get it fixed before I can start messing with it again.

Well I guess I've spilled all there I can think about myself atm, I've never been really good at writing about myself, but I think this about sums it up.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Roberto1444
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #1521 - 11/20/12 at 17:32:01

Hi, my name is Roberto Lanari, from Rio, Brazil. First I'd like to thank everybody here for this amazing forum. Special thanks to mr. Serowbot who has shown me the gates into SuzukiSavage.com. And my preventive apologies for my missteps dealing with this second language of mine.

As for the Savage, a preamble. When I was a 15yo kid I was exposed to the wonders of the british thumpers and twins of the '50s/'60s. The next year I got my first bike. Since then I owned, among a few others, an Yamaha TX650 and that was a kind of praise to those romantic times of motorcycling. So the bzzz of modern multicylinders doesn't appeal to me, at least not to my guts.

Recently I read a NYT article on the Ryca, discovered the Savage and bought one. Here I'll confess that I don't particularly like its low riding/high handling posture, but I understood, especially thanks to the proposals (or visions) of Serowbot and Lancer for this rather plastic motorcycle, that this feature is open to negotiations.

My bike, as certainly those of a multitude of other bikers that come here in search of information and fellowship/enthusiasm, is being shaped by the experience amassed in SuzukiSavage.com. This forum's role is more than that of sharing static info, it's an excellent example of the wiki or make.com idea. The contributions of people like Irondad and Spamy are ready for dissemination - the way Verslagen did, or just by providing good pdf drawings. I would gladly buy plans from these guys.

That's it. Am I too enthusiastic? But that's what this thumper does to this old newbye  Cool.

Nice, nice, very nice. So many different people in the same device. (Kurt Vonnegut)
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #1522 - 11/20/12 at 17:39:56

Welcome Roberto. Your English is excellent. I do not know any Portuguese but let's solve that problem right now. What is the word for "motorcycle" in Portuguese?

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #1523 - 11/20/12 at 18:04:16

Hi Roberto!...
Welcome... glad you were able to join...
Enjoy,... and ride safe...
Serow... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Roberto1444
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #1524 - 11/20/12 at 18:41:25

Hi, Blinky, and thanks. You say you don't know how to say motorcycle in Portuguese, but you do know that we speak Portuguese here, and that's nice. Not exactly common. You know, we're another flavor in the Latin range, but we're still too much Latinos for the best & the worst. The French say motocyclette and we say motocicleta, same as in Spanish. But we're kind of open to other cultures here, so you may hear the word bike easily around.

And hello, Serowbot. Thanks for inviting and welcoming me! Nice bike, man, and incredible rides along those fan-tas-tic Arizona roads.

Nice, nice, very nice. So many different people in the same device. (Kurt Vonnegut)
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #1525 - 11/27/12 at 05:51:19

gone fishing wrote on 11/26/12 at 18:41:16:
I got out of motorcycles in the 80s to restore British roadsters (Triumphs)

Welcome and good luck with the S40 if you end up buying it. I just started riding in April and this site is a wealth of information and experience.
I tried to restore a TR3A back in 1966. It was a 1958 and my first car. I bought it on my 16th birthday with all the money I had in the world, $450. Overdrive, wire wheels, front disc brakes. It came from the factory painted black but was mostly a nice rust color by the time I bought it.
The S40 and TR3 share one trait, I can look down and see the road roll by under my feet when riding the S40 and could do the same with the Triumph since the floor pans were rotted away.

Anyway, welcome and I hope you get the bike.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #1526 - 11/27/12 at 17:19:20

V-piot... that's my bike exactly... red, 97', w/3k miles... I bought it 6 yeras ago....
before...

after...

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #1527 - 12/06/12 at 11:18:49

Howdee, I just got accepted into the Savage/Boulevard S40 Family. It took a while but I am finally in  Wink. I have a 2005 Boulevard S40 that I've got in NOLA last summer, it only had 200 miles on it. Sadly the previous owner die after he bought it and did not have the time to enjoy this fun machine. The bike sat in a garage for almost 6 years. I have already learned a lot about this bike just by reading your postings. I actually live in Orlando, Florida and I like to take this fun bike for short rides around the country side in Central Florida. I will adventure further but first things first, I will need to tweak it so I can trust it for a longer trip. i.e, need to change the original Petcok to a Raptor (the bike has die on me more than a couple of times). Well, I hope I can share experiences and whatever I learn with this bike.
See ya.

2005_S40_Boulevard.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #1528 - 12/08/12 at 09:26:57

Hi Qwapy,.. nice lookin' bike... quite few Savagers in your area....
Welcome to SS.Com... Wink...

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #1529 - 12/14/12 at 07:46:42

Hello Everyone,

My name is Steve.  I've been riding since I was 9 years old.  Got my first street bike when I was 16 and my motorcycle license then too.  Was told I was the first person to ever pass the motorcycle test on a chopper in this county.  Cheesy  I am in Spartanburg, SC.

I have had a few bikes since then.  I am 48 now.  I've still got my old 1971 Honda CB350 (my first street bike) in the shed. I have a 1976 Goldwing with major carb issues.  Got a 73 Yamaha GT1, a Honda 50 mini trail, a 73 CB350 Four, a chinese 50cc scooter, and probably a couple more that I have forgotten to list.

I just bought a Suzuki Savage LS650 (1987) 2 weeks ago.  It's been a decently cared for machine.  22,983 miles on the clock when I got it home.  Has the speedo rattle problem.  It had a flat tire and would only idle when I got it.  From what I can tell, it has gone through several hands in the last couple months cause nobody could figure why it would idle but not take throttle.

The bike had 2 new tires on it.  The back has very little mileage and the front tire had never touched the road.  The front was flat from a severely pinched tube.  I put in a tube, took the carb apart and cleaned and reassembled correctly, bought a battery and I am now riding when it's not too cold.  Somebody put the spring on the wrong side of the needle when they reassembled the carb.  Guess nobody knew enough to fix it until I got it.  Got a great deal on it becasue of the running issue.  Grin

So far, it seems to be a great bike.  I, like many others here am not im pressed with the Bzzzzz sound from most of the new bikes.  I like the deep throaty sound and the cruiser styling.

I have already found some great info here and will definitely be keeping my eyes open for more.  If there is any way I can help someone, I'll jump right in and do what I can.

Thank you everyone and always be safe.
« Last Edit: 03/03/13 at 08:51:34 by Steve H »  

savage_1_small_001.jpg

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 ... 177
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:26:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.