Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 177
Send Topic Print
Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS) (Read 41320 times)
Judit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pécs, Hungary
Re: Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTION
Reply #1050 - 04/05/10 at 12:13:48

Hi!
Another female  Wink, I'm Judit from Hungary, 25 years old, fish breeder and student.  I got my Savage for two weeks I love it  Wink My baby's from Germany and 13 years old. I have a friend in my town he has Savage too. Riding together...  Can you imagine that feeling?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
strebalicious
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #1051 - 04/06/10 at 03:07:23

Hello.  New guy here.  Just got my Savage.  A 1996 LS400.  Yup, a 400.  See, I'm in the Navy and stationed in Japan.  As this is my first motorcycle, the Navy says the biggest bike I can get is a 400cc.

I'll just post the pics the seller posted until I can take some of my own.
http://s865.photobucket.com/albums/ab218/rom_selecta/Suzuki%20Savage%20LS400/

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet.  All the paperwork I have to do over here is a pain.  The biggest pain is that the bike has to be taken off-base for an inspection, but because of the rules, I can only ride on-base for the first 30 days.  So I got someone to do it for me, but he can't get to it until Thursday.  Such is life.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #1052 - 04/06/10 at 04:09:29

Judit wrote on 04/05/10 at 12:13:48:
Hi!
Another female  Wink, I'm Judit from Hungary, 25 years old, fish breeder and student.  I got my Savage for two weeks I love it  Wink My baby's from Germany and 13 years old. I have a friend in my town he has Savage too. Riding together...  Can you imagine that feeling?  Roll Eyes

Judit, welcome. Cool stuff, fish breeding, huhh? What are you raising?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #1053 - 04/06/10 at 17:29:20

Hi,

I'm new to riding.  I got my Suzuki S40 (2007) with 800 miles on it.  Nice pearl white.  Stock with badge removed.  

I passed by MSF, and since I've been riding everyday to work and for fun.  I've been riding for 1 month now.  I ride in San Franciso, so traffic can get pretty hairy.  Also, lots of hills.  

So far my experience (probably typical to most riders):

1.  Scary at first going over 30mi/hour.  Exhilarating after few times.
2.  Having scooter pass me.  Hmmm... showoff.
3.  Learning to start and stop on hills.  And getting good at it.  Scary at first when the bike rolled back the first time.  I'm sure it was only a foot or so... but felt like alot.
4.  Getting good at stopping using breaks and engine.
5.  Got cut off twice by car.  Did not get surprised as I was anticipating it.
6.  Went to fast around a corner and had to emergency break (kinda), because car stopped.  Scary.
7.  Ran out of gas twice and had to go to reserve.  I am only getting 80miles on a tank.  Is this normal?
8.  Layed the bike down in a parking lot.  Dang-it I thought I had my kickstand down.  I was just getting confident.  I guess that will teach me.  Broke my left taillight.  Crazy glued for now, but will likely have to replace soon.
9.  Looking at new Jardine slip-on, carb rejetting, oil change.  Likely learn to DIY.  Getting courage building up (as I look at the forum here and read about everyones posts)... aslo it is so expensive at shop.

Glad to be joining the riders. Wink

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #1054 - 04/06/10 at 18:14:25

With all the hills in San Francisco and stop and go traffic 80mpg is probably about right. It may get better as you continue to learn the idiosyncrasies of the bike and learn just how much throttle you need to get moving.

Every one of us has done "I thought the stand was down." routine. So no need to be embarrassed about that one.

Careful with the modifications, they can get addictive.  Grin

And welcome to the forum.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #1055 - 04/06/10 at 23:09:03

Thanks.  I noticed that several folks are lookin to buy rear left signal... maybe they dropped their bike as well.

I guess 80miles is what i need to live with for now.

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 04/06/10 at 18:14:25:
With all the hills in San Francisco and stop and go traffic 80mpg is probably about right. It may get better as you continue to learn the idiosyncrasies of the bike and learn just how much throttle you need to get moving.

Every one of us has done "I thought the stand was down." routine. So no need to be embarrassed about that one.

Careful with the modifications, they can get addictive.  Grin

And welcome to the forum.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Judit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pécs, Hungary
Reply #1056 - 04/07/10 at 12:40:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/06/10 at 04:09:29:
Judit wrote on 04/05/10 at 12:13:48:
Hi!

Judit, welcome. Cool stuff, fish breeding, huhh? What are you raising?

Zebrafish Smiley

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #1057 - 04/08/10 at 18:31:04

Hey yall.. New dude here.. Just finalized a nice deal on an stock 86 Savage. I go pick it up Saturday. I looked at these bikes a few years ago but couldn't make it happen then. I love the simplicity of them.  What should I be looking out for with this 86? It's got 17k on the clock, so she's broke-in good but not broken... yet. LoL. Thinking about maybe going the bobber route with this one. I dunno yet...
Anyways, I'm in south central Ky, being a telecom technician pays my bils, newly divorced (the reason I had to get rid of my last scoot), single dad, and soooo looking forward to riding again!!
Nice to meet ya!

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #1058 - 04/08/10 at 18:34:02

I'm Steve by the way, so you better wave if you see me out on the road! It wouldn't let me post a pic on my 1st ever post.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #1059 - 04/09/10 at 03:07:39

Howdy Steve, welcome!  You're getting a great ride.

Aside from the usual stuff, oil, tires, battery etc, there's a few I can think of.  I'm sure more smarter people will chime in with more.  Anyway, check the valve clearance, and with that mileage, especially the cam chain tensioner.  Especially the tensioner!  If it becomes overextended due to a worn chain, it dumps parts into everything, and can allow the chain to skip.  Hate to see ya come to grief on that, as a couple folks have.  There's plenty of good how-to's in the Tech section.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #1060 - 04/09/10 at 06:15:01

Thanks John!
I've already raked through this forum and learned quite a bit although I'm not done yet. I'm definitely gonna check the cam chain tensioner, adjust the valves, set the best lean idle on the carb, etc... I plan to get pretty intimate with the old girl over the weekend. I'm not a jump on, give 'er hell and hope for the best kinda guy. In my other life I fool with airkooled VW's a little so this thing should be a snap. I was a little nervous about it being an 86, but it barely changed in +-20 years so it must be a good design. Besides, I couldn't pass up the good deal on this bike. We've already had days in the upper 80's around here this spring and I'm itching to get in the wind.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #1061 - 04/09/10 at 12:13:42

Welcome, welcome, welcome new peeps!  Glad to have you here.  Read, learn, and enjoy!!

Check out and join the Scavenger Hunt in the Cafe section too!  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
stevene
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW FL & SW MI
Reply #1062 - 04/10/10 at 10:25:02

Been lurking long enough, time to say hello.

After a 30 year absence (that's right, I'm an old dude) I got back on two wheels.  I first bought a Kawi 800, and did all the usual rookie customizing (can you spell Kuryakyn?), Mustang seat , found a great dyno tuner in South Bend, IN who re-jetted for Cobra pipes.  See here:

Sold it.

I was turned off by the Harley thing, but fell hard for Indian.  I bought a Spirit (bigger than a Scout, smaller than a Chief) and again went crazy 'personalizing' the bike.  Three months later, the Gilroy California-based company went bust, and I panicked.  See here:

Sold it.

Next, I strangely imagined I would enjoy long-distance touring, so I bought a Triumph Sprint ST.  Hard bags, comfy ergos, but bad idea.  See here:

Sold it.

Then, swept up in the Jesse James/Paulie/Indian Larry/Biker Build Off craze, I thought I ought to build my own hardtail bobber.  I scored a roller from Sucker Punch Sally's, engine & tranny from Rev Tech, and a fistful of catalogs.  Six months later, and about 800% over budget, I got the thing running and titled in Florida (no small accomplishment).  It was a fun ride, but tough on this old man's bad back.  Fortunately, a Triumph dealer wanted it for eye candy in his showroom, so I traded this:

For this:

Talk about going from old school to new school.  The new 1050 Triumph Speed Triples are flat out scary.  I had a blast for two years, but again my mind wandered.  My Michigan Triumph dealer also carried Ducatis, test rides were arranged, then one day brought home this:

The Monster 695, upgraded with Termi pipes, racing ECU, shorty tail, spectacular.

Sold it when we moved into a townhouse with too-cramped garage.  Undecided

(Finally the Savage part).  I discovered Blue Collar Bobbers on the web, and looked into the Savage right here at SuzukiSavage.
Bought a 2005 Boulevard with 4800 miles and the kit components from BCB, and about a month later here she is:

I have nothing but the highest praise for Lance at Blue Collar Bobbers (not to be confused with our Lancer!).  The quality of his workmanship, engineering prowess, prompt shipping, and phone, email and video support are exceptional.  Thanks also to Lancer for his JetSet and advice; bumping up from the stock 52.5 pilot and 145 main to 55 pilot and 150 main did the trick with BCB's four-baffled drag pipe.  While waiting for the painter I also mounted new Dunlops and EBC pads.  I'm not happy with the mirrors ("Baren TT's" on eBay), and awaiting 3" rounds that Lance will be offering shortly.

So, howdy-do fellow Savage-ites!

stevene
Estero, FL & Sawyer, MI

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #1063 - 04/10/10 at 12:14:01

Stevene,
Welcome & from the sounds of your introduction you probably have a good deal of experience around all different types of bikes and styles of riding. Great history and pics of many of your bikes, but we're glad to see you settle in with the S-40 (for the time being-seeing that you've jumped ship so many times I can only wonder what the next bike might be).

Welcome again, and enjoy your "Savage"  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
itsonlyme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #1064 - 04/25/10 at 20:27:50

Hi,
I got my learners permit last summer and I bought my 2001 Savage and joined the forum . I know nothing about the mechanics of bikes but have read tons of topics here but I am learning and feel like I can do anything! Thanks for all the information. You guys are so helpful!
I too  dropped my bike in on a gravel driveway and broke off my right mirror. doh!
I am excited for a summer where I wont be riding soaking wet all the time. It will be a new experience for me!  Smiley
Laura

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 177
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:26:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.