Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To Hardtail or not (Read 42 times)
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
To Hardtail or not
08/13/07 at 16:29:40

I would like to know everyones opinion about building a custom Hardtail or leaving the bike swingarm. Here are a couple pics of what im thinking. Just something similar to these.

Swingarm:

Hardtail:

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: To Hardtail or not
Reply #1 - 08/13/07 at 19:04:52

i have both a hardtail bike and a swingarm savage. it is really up to you and your style of riding. if you like to ride all day the rigid might not be for you. but they look alot better imo. i'm keepin the savage a swingarm, so maybe one day my ol will want a ride. i can dream can't i?

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #2 - 08/14/07 at 17:48:52

Might go that route myself, I can't really get what I put into my bike out of it to sell so I'm just going to keep it, also might give that cut shock thing a shot!

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #3 - 08/14/07 at 18:14:14

I say go for it. Once I realized that the shocks were not  bottoming out Im really happy how they turn out. If you go  as low as I did you might need to run the preload. My main reasoning to do the hardtail is b/c I will never be happy with my bike until it is rigid. I working on measurements now for a 2" stretch in the rear w/ the hardtail struts I have.

IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #4 - 08/15/07 at 04:18:02

I'm a bit leary of the struts after looking at top shock mounts. Don't look like it would take much to snap one off!

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #5 - 08/15/07 at 07:32:13

No what i meant was Im taking measurements with the struts on there for the complete rigid IM not riding it like that its just to get measurements

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 08/15/07 at 10:34:37

« Last Edit: 10/07/08 at 15:39:12 by vroom1776 »  
  IP Logged
jmerry
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/15/07 at 11:50:06

Anyone have any ideas of a supplier for a single seat conversion for the savage?

Thanks!

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #8 - 08/15/07 at 12:46:15

Why not do away with the front suspension and really experience the road? Just curious, what makes a hardtail so fascinating???

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
iRe: To Hardtail or not
Reply #9 - 08/15/07 at 13:42:50

I like the flow of the lines personally. It just has some will more nostalgic with a hardtail too. i guess I just want to. Heres is what i did in paint prog. its no the greatest looking but you get the idea.

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #10 - 08/15/07 at 16:30:26

I agree that the lines are nice.... it would seem you would just get the tar beat out of you if the road was rough at all. Maybe if you are a young pup or are used to this type of suspension (or lack of), it may not be so bad.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/15/07 at 17:00:58

I am with the Prof. The lines of a bike are obvious when I am looking at it. I am not looking at it when I am riding it. It is a tool for hauling me from where I am to where I want to be & I want it to do it in a ceratin manner. I want it fun, comfortable, practical & I want it to be as responsive & able to haul thru corners as possible. Hitting a slope mid corner, like entering a driveway/parking lot tosses a big enough kink in the ride with a working suspension. Pulling the shocks out of the picture would force me to ride like an old woman I would think. I think it rides rough enough already.You asked for opinions. I dissent.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 08/15/07 at 19:41:18

I don't think a hardtail is as functional;however, they do have nice lines.  As I view the bike as a transportation and not as a work of art, I will suggest not to  hardtail.
My impression, however; is that that's what you really want to do so by all means, go for it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: To Hardtail or not!
Reply #13 - 08/15/07 at 20:21:14

Whenever I think hardtail I just think. Ouch!  My butt gets enough kickin' already.
But I also like the look of 2 meaty shocks back there.  Makes the tire look more substantial from the back to me.
I like the overall look of all the bikes you've pictured here though.  Look forward to seeing what you come up with.  Good luck!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #14 - 08/15/07 at 20:31:22

I have decide I am definitely  going to hardtail the frame  I  will start sometime this winter after I get my new welder. I plan mounting a new tank, ribbed fender, and maybe do some mid controls instead of our in-between controls we have. But it will finished hopefully by Feb. or Mar.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:17:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To Hardtail or not

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.