Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2001 Savage won't start- Need help ! (Read 4 times)
fayddy
Ex Member

2001 Savage won't start- Need help !
08/11/07 at 23:57:45

I graduated from two stroke engine like moped and scooter. I think I am ready for a bigger motor. So I got me my 1st bigger motor project a 2001 Suzuki Savage. According to the previous owner it was running 2 years ago until he slams to a car and bends the left fork. It was stored and never driven ever again. I am still waiting for a right fork at a good price.

The first thing I did was changed the oil and filter. Then charged the battery and clean the carburetor. I checked the compression, changed air filter, cleaned the spark plug and adjusted the clearance then tested for a spark which turns out ok. Clean and checked petc0ck drained the old gasoline on the tank and fill up with a fresh gasoline.

Set the petc0ck to pri and pulled choke all the way, it cranks but wont start. I checked the carburetor drain just to make sure gas goes to the carburetor. Everything looks good but it won’t run.

Any suggestion?

IP Logged
Lenny
Ex Member

Re: 2001 Savage won't start- Need help !
Reply #1 - 08/12/07 at 11:26:53

Roll EyesHi, This is my first time using this site. just joined!Believe I can help!My experience with an'81 400 single kick start Suzuki GN400,was the same after not riding it for 10 years.After tearing the carb apart 3 times, It still would not start-Finally ,under a strong light I checked the idle pick up tube which goes from the bottom of the float chamber to the venturi.The hole in the tube was clear. however, there are several very SMALL holes in the sides of the tube,which I had not noticed.--These holes are extremely small ,and they were clogged with lead from the high test gas which had been left in the bowl all that time.You will need to remove a very fine piece of wire from a wire brush and push  it     from one side of he hole through the tube to the opposite side.Once this has been done ,fuel will then be free to flow under suction from the venturi and enable the idle and choke circuits to function.After this was done the bike started on the second kick!!!If memory serves me ,I believe there were 3 holes in the pick up tube.You will have to look very closely to find them.Hope this helps.  Good Luck, Lenny.Rockwall, Texas.

IP Logged
fayddy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/14/07 at 00:16:00

Thank you so much for your reply. I re clean the carb for the 2nd time and it works fine now.

Thanks

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 08/14/07 at 02:45:17

Also try starting without choke, or just one click.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2001 Savage won't start- Need help !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.