Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New to bikes looking for advice (Read 6 times)
Pizza_King
Ex Member

New to bikes looking for advice
08/12/07 at 09:03:31

I have been in search of a new hobby. I love vehicles so I  think I could really get into riding a bike. I'd really like to get a harley but money doesn't grow on trees and since I'm starting out I'd like to go with something less expensive.

I found an '87 savage with 10k miles on. Guy said it runs real good doesn't even have to use choke to get it to start. Looked pretty good to me black tank with maroon flames. The handles were short and flat (excuse my noob terminology). The guy had the price at 1500.

Whats your guys thoughts? Would this make for a good beginner bike? Anything I should look for? Price seem fair?

Thanks,

Kyle

IP Logged
Pizza_King
Ex Member

Re: New to bikes looking for advice
Reply #1 - 08/12/07 at 09:56:05

SuzukiCycles.org Link

Handle bars look like this one. I like the look of the other ones better. Any differenc ein driving between the two styles?

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #2 - 08/12/07 at 10:33:36

buy it and never look back. biking runs through my veins not blood. so buy it ride it love it you will never be the same 8)

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Pizza_King
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/12/07 at 10:56:36

What should I pay for it? After looking it looks like newer ones can be found for the same price.  But, I don't know how hard it is to find bikes in Kansas.

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #4 - 08/12/07 at 14:45:16

I got my 1100 v-starr brand new in dec. for 8500 out the door timing is everthing just like buying a car. my savage is an 87 i got for a birthday present and have slowly bringing back to life. that is why i bought the v-starr for something to ride now with no worries. last weekend took off for a 7 hr ride. all in with what you want to spend Grin

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Reply #5 - 08/12/07 at 15:46:16

I just bought an 87' with 17k miles on it for $1,000 but it came with two helmets, a new bike jack, and $200 worth of new parts (receipt included). I saw that there were a lot of newer bikes out there for around 2k but I had to look at it this way...... I don't want to spend 2k. So far I've replaced the tires, belt, brakes, and new fork seals (some of which I've done myself) and it's been fun. I figured that even IF I did pay a couple hundred too much I'm only working with a grand anyways so there's only so much I can lose. I can put down a couple hundred for dinner and a movie. I mean I'm not out spending 20k on a Harley. On the same note you do want to make sure nothing is horribly wrong with it. Just my own personal opinion.

IP Logged
wrongwayair

central Il
Reply #6 - 08/12/07 at 17:54:31

I'm sure most of the guys here will give you far better advice than I can.  I stumbled across mine by pure luck, so far it's been good to me.  But it's a 2002 that had 11,000 miles on it & I bought it for $2200.00 the end of May.

Indecision may or may not be my problem .... Jimmy Buffett
  IP Logged
Pizza_King
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/12/07 at 19:42:27

I'm not looking to spend much yet since it will be my first bike. I'm hoping this will turn into an enjoyable hobby but since I can predeict the future I'd hate to get too much invested before I know.  I wouldn't know who to have look it over and since I've never rode one it will be an experience all in itself. So, I'm not sure how to even test drive one. I've road manual 4 wheelers and 3 wheelers and I drive a 6 speed trans am everyday so I'm confident I can pick it up fast.

It seems everyone is saying 1500 is too much for the bike. The guy said he may com down some but not much. I'd hate to overpay for it. What should I offer?

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 08/12/07 at 21:04:21

Hey neighbor,

I'm down here in OK, and the $1500 is very much top dollar in our part of the country for an 87 model. The only way I would consider paying that much, was if it was in near mint condition, and just had lots of maintenance money spent on it. New tires, all service up to date with receipts etc...

At 20 years old, and 10k miles, it is just about time for it to need a lot of stuff, if it hasn't already been done, you don't want to spend top dollar; then have to shell out hundreds to have a lot of maintenance work done on it. I'm thinking $1200 or less, which is what I gave for my 87 this spring, and it only had 3500 grandpa miles on it. However, the tires were the original starting to rot rubber.

Take care!

IP Logged
Pizza_King
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/12/07 at 21:13:53

Thanks for the opinion.  Wheres a good place to look for used bikes if this guy isn't willing to come down on price? I don't have time to travel is part of the problem.

IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/12/07 at 21:27:19

too expencive. i live in the SF bay area (where stuff is crazy expencive) and i got my 95 Savage for 1700 with only 5200miles on it. It was showroom condition. a little color on the pipes near there header that was it. tell the guy hes high and youll give him a gran. if he says no, find another. used savages are a dime a dozen man. great bikes, but  veary inexpencive.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 08/12/07 at 22:10:04

Check for a PM from me...

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #12 - 08/13/07 at 07:27:17

take the msf course 1st, you'll have an opportunity to ride two wheels, someone elses investment $$$, get some great information and determine if it is something you want to continue with. in az, completion of the msf course will satisfy the dmv for written and skills test, only need to go in for photo op and pay the $7 endorsement fee.  we bought our '96 with 5600 miles for $1500.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Pizza_King
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/13/07 at 08:47:27

PM replied to Rockin_John

I'm working on finding out about the motorcycle safety course. I think our DMV is closed on Mondays so will have to go down there tomorrow and get the info.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/13/07 at 11:46:18

ditto what rockin_john says,

$1500 high, unless tires and battery relatively new.

I bought a '96 with 16k for $1200.  6 months later, I've got 22k on it, a new rear and a new battery.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:19:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to bikes looking for advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.