Re: I'm getting zapped (Read 6 times)
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Re: I'm getting zapped
08/11/07 at 12:36:14

Have you tried disconnecting the positive first?

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #1 - 08/11/07 at 14:54:40

Safety rule on batteries is, always disconnect the ground - first so if your tool or worse yet the ring on your finger touching the tool handle touches ground you do not create a circuit through the ring around your finger causing much pain and distress. Just the tool can cause sparks and battery explosion. As I remember the negative, ground or - terminal can be reached with a long phillips screwdriver after removing the seat and left side cover on my Savage.  Do make sure the lead doesn't fall back on the terminal, either secure it out of the way or wrap it with electrical tape. Then you can do whatever with the postive or + side w/o fear.  Remember the key can be removed in both the off and park lamp position. You would get a spark even on the ground side if the key is in the park lamp position as you make and break the circuit at the ground connector. Remember Sparks is BAD !!

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #2 - 08/11/07 at 15:04:18

It's normal to get a little spark as you disconnect the negative cable. A lot of sparking might indicate that you still have a lot of current flowing in the negative lead even though you think the bike is off.

Don't ever disconnect the positive lead first though. If your wrench or screwdriver accidentally touches the frame or other grounded part of the bike while you're disconnecting the positive lead, you could weld your tool to the bike or even blind yourself from the arc. Bad juju.

Ken

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #3 - 08/11/07 at 15:51:42

I should have used more words....when I asked if he had removed the + first to see if that might be his problem.

And it can be spectacular when you weld something by crossing the terminals.  Was responsible for a huge bank of batteries in the Navy and every once in a while a nugget would get the DC suprise doing there first maint. on the banks.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:12:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: I'm getting zapped

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.