Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Short shocks (Read 14 times)
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Short shocks
08/10/07 at 19:21:49

I have just chopped up the shocks fro the savage to see if they would work or not. I have not put them on but I have lowered them about 3/4 of an inch no they sit at 9 3/4" from the stock 10.5. This is as high as it can be b/c it the only way to take them apart and the rest of the covered. but I suppose you could cut the bottom part of the spring ,then flip it.
well heres a pic.

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Short shocks
Reply #1 - 08/10/07 at 19:46:15

So,  How much lower did the fender get to the tire with 3/4" removed???

Just wondering since the shock is not mounted vertically, the 3/4" would actually lower the fender more.    Sorry, it's been 30 years since I had to do "Trig" to figure those type of numbers.  Too rusty to even think about it.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #2 - 08/10/07 at 19:55:52

I have solid struts on it know that are 9.5  so i gained 1/4" inch and the fender is about 1 1/4" above the fender now so it will be roughly the same higher depending on the sag. I also have the fender lowered about and 1 1/2" so I have plenty of room if I need. I will mount the shocks tomorrow and post pics

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #3 - 08/10/07 at 22:05:59

Good job, looks great. How'd ya do it?
Ike
Grin

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #4 - 08/11/07 at 08:45:20

Thanks its actually pretty simple. Cut the spring where you want cut at the bottom so you know how much you have cut off Go slow and cool the spring. Then you pull the shock apart. level the spring with your choose of tools Go slow what i mean is make it match the other side of the spring( it seat better in the housing.) then put it back together. I have a pic of it on the bike. Give me a day or so And I will have pics/tutorial for the tech section

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #5 - 08/12/07 at 09:56:21

Looks great on your bike,dont forget to put it up the the tech section inc. pics would be nice.
Big change howe it ride?
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #6 - 08/12/07 at 11:26:37

It actually bottoms out so I have to get some more springs or make spacers Im not really sure yet what i am going to do I will have everything up in the tech sect. in a couple hours

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #7 - 08/13/07 at 01:40:23

Hi cFlow
Is it possible to thread the centerrod to make it shorter or maby both short the spring and thread (spelling OK)the center rod.
Might be to hard to thread, what do you think?

Odar in Sweden

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 08/13/07 at 17:03:11

Been thinking about this for awhile (in preparation for my not-too-distant-future Savage).  Cut the springs to give about 1" to 1-1/4" shock travel.  AND, have a lowering kit made to put the shocks at an approx. 45 degree angle, with appropriate bottom bolt heighth for fender clearance.  It seems to me that this would slam the rear to max; and, the extreme angle (w/highest preload setting) would eliminate some of the bottoming out.  Then, a spring solo (2 or 3" springs) for more ride comfort.  Seems this would be better than hardtail.  Whadayall think?

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #9 - 08/13/07 at 17:11:14

I understand what your sayin. do you have any pics of the lowering kit that you had made? In theory it should work, unless the shocks would a such an extreme angle that they would bind up.

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #10 - 08/14/07 at 11:06:40

i have realized something today the shock was not bottoming out it was my seat the would flex and hit the frame. So you could go as low as mine but you will have to mount a fender on the swingarm or have the preload adjuster to full preload.

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 08/14/07 at 17:19:16

cFLOW wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
In theory it should work, unless the shocks would a such an extreme angle that they would bind up.  

Remember that radical Savage Heiko Lang built?  He had pics in the Old Heise forum.  His shocks were 45  degrees & shortened; and, he said they worked ok.  He sent me schematics of everything he did a few yrs. ago; but, I lost it all when my aol crashed.

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #12 - 08/14/07 at 17:41:42

Oh I didnt know that. It  sucks about the schem. though. Cant wait to see how it turns out for you.  Good Luck

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #13 - 08/15/07 at 00:28:35

cFLOW wrote:
but you will have to mount a fender on the swingarm .

What do you mean wth that?

Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #14 - 08/15/07 at 07:29:07

What Mean is if you cut as much of the spring out as I did you will need to mount the fender to the swingarm like this:
This allows the frame to go lower with out the fender bottoming out. I might end up trying to do something similar to this  with the savage, note the front fender on the back:

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:15:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Short shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.