Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What the **** Why does it run rough in the rain? (Read 9 times)
Thumpin

If you ain't thumpin
you may as well be
dumpin

Huntsville AL
What the **** Why does it run rough in the rain?
08/10/07 at 12:37:49

I have taken it to the mechanic.  Nuthin.  I have had all of my best wrench monkry friends have a go at it and nothing.  They are all not too sure that Im not just nuts, but here is what it does.  

I can be thumpin down the road just fine when it is dry but it I get caught in a heavy rain (or ever moderate) suddenly it runs like very rough.  If I have to sit at a light I have to keep the throttle about 1/4 open to keep it from shutting off.  Meanwhile it is jumping and popping (all of which is just a bit embarissing).  I can feel it surging and lagging all the way up through the gears.  Once I finally get it up to 5th (and the high end of the gear not the low end) it will smooth out.  If I continue to ride for 10-15 min after the rain is over it will finally staighten itself back out.  The same thing sometimes happens when I stop to eat after a good long run.  I get back on the bike and it runs very rough for a few miles and then straightens back out.  Thihs is one of those intermittant problems that just refuses to happen at the shop (even w/ a water hose liberally applyed).  It is also worthy of note that washing the bike does not cause the problem to occure.

MODs that might matter:  rejetted, suppertrapped, K&N air filter, and mix screw adjusted to retune after all of the above.

It has run great for 2 months since the above Mods were made.  It mainly occurs when it rains.

It is important to get this bike dependable as it is my ride to work (90 miles rnd trip) every day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thumpin

It feels so good when the ground shakes.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: What the **** Why does it run rough in the rai
Reply #1 - 08/10/07 at 13:06:45

My first guess would be driven water getting into an electrical connection (around the spark plug wire itself maybe). Second guess would be water somehow getting into the combustion chamber (through the airfilter mod maybe).

IP Logged
Thumpin

If you ain't thumpin
you may as well be
dumpin

Huntsville AL
Reply #2 - 08/10/07 at 13:23:33

Spark plug might be a possibility, but the air filter MOD used a K&N drop in that fit the original configuration, so that shouldn't be the cause - unless it was doing this before.  We have been in a prolonged drought here in Huntsville AL. and after I bought the bike in early spring it has raind only rarely.  I just happened to get hit at lunch today and it pulled its sputtering crud.  I might try sealing the spark plug from water, but I used to ride competition go-carts when I was a kid and we ran rain or shine with no effect to the engine.  This problem just seems weird.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/10/07 at 13:24:50

try cleaning the stop/run switch.

it's likely to get wet in the rain or hot in the sun.

WWW   IP Logged
Thumpin

If you ain't thumpin
you may as well be
dumpin

Huntsville AL
Reply #4 - 08/10/07 at 13:35:18

At the risk of sounding completely stupid....you mean the one on the right grip right?  Not the one on the kick stand.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/10/07 at 13:47:38

yeah, on the grip.

people have said it gets dirty and causes problems.

WWW   IP Logged
Thumpin

If you ain't thumpin
you may as well be
dumpin

Huntsville AL
Reply #6 - 08/10/07 at 13:50:35

I will give that and the spark plug idea a shot this weekend.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 08/10/07 at 15:33:27

This concern came up many years ago on Bert's German Savage forum. I believe it is caused by the carb icing up. When the humidity is high and air pressure is dropped (going over an airplane wing or in the carb venturi) the temperature drops and moisture in the air sticks to and freezes on the surface. Air temps can be up to the 50's as understand it from my flying colleagues. Wing icing has been the cause of many plane crashes, that is why the de-ice airplanes before take off when it is snowing, freezing rain or other conditions that promote icing. The temp drop is caused by the venturi effect, not the ambient temperature. What you can do is the next time  it happens, look down at the carb and see if there is frost on the outside, if so you have your answer as there is frost on the inside which changes the carb air bleed holes, may stick the throttle in one position, and lowers fuel mileage as the air bleeds are plugged. If there isn't any frost, quickly touch the slide area of the carb and see if it is ice cold as there can still be frost on the inside. Mine has never done it or I would have a answer for you. I've had 2 vehicles that did it. 54 Mercury with what was called a teapot carb, It would frost up inside and out, to the point the throttle linkage would not move. As it frosted off most of the air bleeds mileage went in the toilet.  2nd one was an 81 Chrysler K car and even with heated air from the exhaust going into the air box, it would "ice" at 32 -34 degrees when a heavy wet snow would be falling.  Only did it 3 or 4 times when conditions were just right. Park and shut them off for 10- 15 minutes and they would melt and work OK for a while or until the relative humidity/temperature relationship changed enough to prevent it. Please do let us know as it has been an unaswered question since 1998 that I know of. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 08/10/07 at 19:20:48

Has anyone checked the rear fender to see if any water that is being flung by the rear wheel is being thrown/forced into the air box somehow (crack or hole)... and thereby getting into the carb...or getting some of the wiring wet that is on the top side of the fender?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 08/10/07 at 21:00:22

How cold is the rain? I would figure if the rain is really cold and it hits you after you have been riding a while. The cold rain is cooling off your engine too fast making it sputter the way you are describing. Unfortunately if that is the case, there is nothing that can be done about it. Using a water hose to try to duplicate the problem then wouldn't work because the water out of the tap would not be as cold as the rain.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/10/07 at 23:05:44

When I rode the Suzuki in a hard rain for quite a while I found that when I put my feet down at the light I got shocked every time the spark plug got lit off. Not bad, didnt kill the bike or knock me off, but quite an experience nonetheless. It ran okay even with all that going on. It was a warm rain. The Ice idea may be spot on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 08/11/07 at 06:10:17

Here we go with the spray bottel of water. start your ride let it get hot. start spraying water up under the fuel tank do both sides  {don't use a hose} If she starts to miss or run rough Take a real good look at  the coil and plug wire  There is no wire boot at the coil water will get in and it will short the plug wire. Water will also cause the spark to jump to ground at the plug if that boot isn't sealed eather  When checking the coil plug look for what mite look as a pencile line on the surfaces this is carbon tracking this is were the spark has found a path out to ground.  The coil and plug wire are very negleted parts  Just a thought
Ride on
Viper

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 08/11/07 at 10:30:16

If you're running a bit rich in the dry weather, humidity will make you richer.  Lots of popping on deceleration, rough, stumbly idle.  Humid air has more water content and conversely less oxygen.  Makes you rich.  Next time try this test.  Pull the choke out one click, if the engine dies instantly, you have a rich condition.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Thumpin

If you ain't thumpin
you may as well be
dumpin

Huntsville AL
Reply #13 - 08/13/07 at 07:52:58

Thanks all for the ideas.  I think that I have found the culprit.  I have tried this before but an old harley wrench head friend of mine got challenged by the mystery this weekend.  He took the hose and cut it down to a very small but rather powerful flow of water and then with me holding the throttle open a bit he went over the bike.  When he hit either of two places it would start stumbling.  Either of the two large diameter hoses for the carb.  I am speaking of the one that goes from the airbox to the carb and the one that goes from the carb to the engine.  We would let it work its way through the water that had gotten in and see if we could make it happen again.  After a number of beers and attempts we were able to make it stumble basically on cue just by playing the water hose onto either of these air/fuel hoses.  I have since tightened up the hose hands that secure these hoses.  We will see what happens next time it rains while I am in transit.  If that dose not fix it I am going to assume there are pin-holes in these hoses and replace them.  I had set my idle speed a 1/4 turn too fast bcause in the mornings as many have also discussed I was having low idle problems for the first 10 miles or so.  This problem "seems" to be gone as well.  This could be the cause of both problems.  Will update when I figure it out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:20:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What the **** Why does it run rough in the rain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.