Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st gear shutoff (Read 5 times)
pollpegj
Ex Member

1st gear shutoff
08/06/07 at 19:09:34

I was riding my new savage and when I got back to the garage I stopped then put it in first and it shutoff. I then tried again and it shutoff. Finally I went from second to 1st while sitting there and then it didnt shutoff. Its no longer doing it but it worries me. What could be causing this. Low idle or what?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 1st gear shutoff
Reply #1 - 08/06/07 at 21:22:13

well that'd be a good place to start.

And you're not putting the kickstand are you?

cause that'll shut her off right away.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 08/06/07 at 21:54:53

or perhaps the side stand switch is giving you grief

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 08/07/07 at 05:42:42

Good advice.  The sidestand interlock can do that.  If you have the sidestand switch showing the sidestand being down and the bike is in gear, it kills the engine.  Does it ever die like that while in neutral?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #4 - 08/07/07 at 05:50:27

I hate the sidestand switch. I had my bike one day and it went out, stranding me at a gas station. Then, of course, I dropped the bike while trying to push start it. My sidestand switch is now wired out of the circuit.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
pollpegj
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/07/07 at 06:49:33

WOW, I feel dumb I didnt know these had such a switch. So when the bike is running and the stand is down if put into gear it will shut off?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 08/07/07 at 06:53:13

pollpegj wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
So when the bike is running and the stand is down if put into gear it will shut off?

Yes.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #7 - 08/07/07 at 23:06:14

Don't feel bad,I did the same thing Smiley
I've only had my bike a few weeks,never noticed it before,then it shut off and I thought something bad was wrong!But I looked down and saw I had put the kickstand down and I thought....hmmm....I guess that shut it down.I didnt really know for sure Smiley

But where is the sidestand switch? Near the kickstand?

I'm getting use to seeming dumb....but I've never had a bike before,so I'm use to it now(feeling dumb ,that is)

I'm just trying to learn all I can though.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/07/07 at 23:27:36

Take a look at your sidestand, if you hold you bike up and give the kickstand a nuge... very near the pivot a pin will pop out.  on the other side is the switch.

there are 2 other safety switches, one on the clutch lever and one on the transmission.

the clutch safety keeps you from starting the engine with the clutch engage.  it was very funny when people lerch forward while trying to start their engines.

and the neutral safety does the same thing.  when you are in gear and the kick stand is down, you can't start.  It was hilarious when people would launch their bikes down the street when they let go of the clutch lever.  at least until they started running over some one, usually a congressmen.  they don't like being ran over, so they passed a law requiring all manufacturers to make the bikes this way.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:25:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1st gear shutoff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.