Send Topic Print
So i put a Dyna can on (Read 15 times)
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
So i put a Dyna can on
08/05/07 at 06:02:52

AND now the bike vibrates like mad.

the vibration is almost numbing. it can be felt in the handle bars, the wife says she can feel it in the right foot peg. i dont feel there.

the bike is an 06 and is stock minus the can
i sounds great, idle's smooth, slight pop when shifting gears( sounds like braaaaap clutch pop shift. repeat). nothing like the way it would sound when we bought it (braaaaaap POW!!!)

has anyone else experienced this after a muffler change?
What did you do with it? or to it?

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: So i put a Dyna can on
Reply #1 - 08/05/07 at 08:25:32

So, what else is going on?
mileage, etc

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 08/05/07 at 09:04:40

If you had the front foot shield bolts out to get the header off to put on the new pipe, make sure both of them are assembled and torqued correctly. Also make sure the new exhaust is supported so it isn't hanging off the head pipe and vibrating. If nothing else use a couple large stainless hoseclamps to clamp it to the OE bracket.  In my experience Savages normally don't vibrate much so somehting isn't correct. Max.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #3 - 08/05/07 at 10:02:58

sorry i should of posted with pics earlier.

but hears the mod
adapter pipe about 6.75 in long a little less then 15deg bend. with harley clamps.

you cant really see it but i used thin metal sheeting to make a gasket out of. so there is not a leak between the header pipe and the adapter or the adapter and the dyna can.

i does have only one bolt holding the can on. without making a bracket extention i can only put one bolt in it. but the can is on there DAM good i think

here is the heat sheild. the only thing that had to come off were the cheap chrome jamb nuts to get the heat shield off and then reasembled.

i did have a question about this heat shield: should it make contact with the head pipe ever? because there are marks on the head pipe from the heat pads lining the heat shield.

its got just over 1000 miles on it. it is the wifes bike. she doesn't ride it hard or anything like that

i went out and checked all the bolts again and everything is tight

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 08/05/07 at 10:08:04

No pics showed up for me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/05/07 at 10:33:25

too high a resolution, takes forever to download.

I would concider putting the old one back on.  If the problem goes away then it's an issue with the new muf.  If not, then something else.  Did you rejet?  Maybe it's so lean it's predetinating.  Even the slight pop is an indication that it's lean.  Check your plug, white, black or a nice tan?

WWW   IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/05/07 at 10:44:19

Quote:
Photobucket Site Maintenance

Images and videos will continue to serve during this short maintenance.

Mine aren't loading either

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #7 - 08/05/07 at 14:32:33

no loading? crap!!!!
where does everyone else host their pics
these are on photo bucket. i can load them onto myspace if anyone can view them there or even cardomain
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f187/Familia_Cruz/bikes

here is my photobucket all these pics are in the bike folder

i'll check the plug tommorow and put the stock can back on after checking the plug, hell i might just replace the plug.

i did not rejet. i am about 2.5 turns out.
i had used the metheod stated here http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1157720585 and i have to say that the engine did not sound any different or run different at 3 turns or .5 turn but it deffinitly did not like being almost closed. so i went with the richer setting in hopes of not causeing damage

could i be too rich?
or so lean that i need to go bigger on the jets?

06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 08/05/07 at 15:04:27

From the pictures is looks like the installation is good and not part of the cause of vibration. Seems like when I had the stock pipe the insulation pads on the foot heat shield did touch the pipe. I can't see how the muffler by itself would cause the vibration. B-i-L has essentialy the same setup with a sportster muffler and it doesn't vibrate. Is rougher riding than mine set up as bagger, but I believe the front tire isn't balanced and the forks seems to have a longer spacer above the spring so it runs topped out. He's on the injured list for now so no hurry to fix it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
oldman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/05/07 at 15:16:28

Don't know about the vibration but the pics came thru good for me .

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 08/05/07 at 15:17:33

Ayup, the muffler install looks fine. One bolt will support ok if good and tight. I go with Max's "loose engine mount bolt" theory. I didn't notice anywhere that you mention tightening it yet. Until you do, don't bother with anything else.

IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/05/07 at 19:02:23

does it seem like any part of the bike is rattling lose or just that the extra sound/different compression makes is vibrate? did you rejet? everyone seems to highly recomend diong that evein with a dyna clamp on thingy.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 08/06/07 at 07:58:31

oldman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Don't know about the vibration but the pics came thru good for me .

I can see 'em just fine too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #13 - 08/06/07 at 08:16:08

it may be the header pipe rattling on the heat shield, contact is normal, try to ensure that the insulation is contacting the pipe as it goes through the heat shield.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #14 - 08/08/07 at 03:49:13

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
it may be the header pipe rattling on the heat shield, contact is normal, try to ensure that the insulation is contacting the pipe as it goes through the heat shield.

So i took every bit of advise on my topic and my tool box and went to town on her bike
Results:   The header pipe is not or was not sitting flush against the head. The adapter and the muffler combo are actually torqing the header pipe off of the head. So i losened everything up torqued the header pipe holder clamp thing on the head first keeping the pipe centered(does that piece have to go on in one direction or can it be turned upside-down?) Did you know that this piece is made of plastic. atleast mine craked like plastic. i'm still using it so i wont be able to tell what its made of until i buy a new one.

VIBRATION ALL GONE minus the stock vibration which is a little bit more pronounced than with the stock pipe.  I was planing on getting her some K-yakan grips before to long. so i guess soner than later.

Future mods. Budget Drivers Back rest in the making. and Take off Floor boards are on the skecth pad. i have everything i need to make the heel-toe shifter but what a waste to make it now and have to remake it after the floor boards. i like to take pics so i'll have some to show everyone later on

anyway wish me luck on these parts AND thank you all for your help.  Ride safe and pop free

06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:32:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So i put a Dyna can on

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.