LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Cyl head temp
08/04/07 at 20:47:04

I received a fun thing in the mail yesterday, it is a cylinder head temp guage.  I found it on a website for unltralight aircraft, and at a pretty good price too I think.  The guage and sensor plus shp was $48

If I can get the image over here I will post a pic of it

the guage has the  degree F temp over the degree  C temp scales on the guage.

sensor

I also have an fuel/air mix guage for the exhaust system, but need to get the O2 sensor yet.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cyl head temp
Reply #1 - 08/04/07 at 20:55:09

I had one of those on my Vdub, worked quite well.
never burned a cylinder after I got it.  And only one before.  One was enough.

It's a long bimetalic wire that creates voltage with heat.

It bolts under the sparkplug.  you might have to wrap it around the bike a few times as I wouldn't coil it up under the tank, that would skew the readings.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 08/04/07 at 20:58:01

Yea, the little wire is about 2' long.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 08/04/07 at 21:05:35

You realize, I hope, that your curiosity will bite and you'll be out riding on a 110 degree day just to watch the head temperature.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/04/07 at 21:14:09

It's the temperature difference between the sparkplug end and the end where it plugs into the gage.  I'd head straight up from the sparkplug under the tank and straight to the bars if that's where you're going to mount it.  and coil it up under the gage to take up the slack.  If you're going to put the gage in a tin can, make sure it can cool off quickly with airflow.  If the can is 40° hotter then ambient it will lower your readings by 40°  And if ambient is 140°, get the hell off the road before you fry!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 08/04/07 at 21:26:12

I have not decided on a location for the temp guage, or the air/fuel guage  either.  The Veypor will be front and center, but space is limited.  I have considered the fork tubes since the Ceriani's are tall and will stick up above the triple trees.  I may need to make a small windscreen to enclose the guage cluster ala cockpit arrangement.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/04/07 at 21:38:17

I've concidered mounting the veypor to a plate attached to the top of the tree.

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 08/04/07 at 23:20:28

That's pretty cool... er ahh... hot... whatever, it's a nice thing to have. Measuring water and oil temps on engines are alright for a general indication, but cylinder head temp is really a critical and desirable measurement. Many big diesel engines, almost all big rigs have it on a gage. Very sensitive too, and almost hypnotic to watch as you go up and down hills and it is amazing how much more work, and heat, different situations cause. Sitting at a stop light when it is 90º+ and watching that with the engine cooking, may cause a need to carry a pack of Rolaids! Grin

I was just noticing a digital thermometer intended for cooking in an oven or microwave the other night at a wally store, and it had enough remote lead on it to make the distance between the oil fill cap, and the tree. Read from 100º - 450º which should be plenty. I thought about buying the cheap thermometer and an extra oil fill cap; then just drilling a hole in the cap for the probe and using a spot of silicone to glue the "gage" on the tree, and seal the probe in the cap. Might be fun to watch the oil temp.

I'm a big believer in engine temp being a huge factor in parts wear/life, and performance. I have considered one of the oil cooler mods that people have pioneered here.

Someone mentioned VeeDub... An old buddy and I put an oil cooler on his bus, and the difference in engine temp made a remarkable difference in the performance of the poor underpowered bus. It went from a top speed of 55-60mph to 65-70mph! Just some fresh oil and a cooler.

Having pistons and cylinders etc... last tens of thousands of miles longer might help offset the cost of all those extra cam chain jobs! Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/04/07 at 23:33:09

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I was just noticing a digital thermometer intended for cooking in an oven or microwave the other night at a wally store

Cool, Wally World!  I got a better place for you though, on top of the clutch cover about the rear side of the jug, there's a plugged port.  That's directly in the path of the oil.  

Or one of the ports they use for the oil cooler mod.

Another option, any of the bolts on the head cover.  Of course this wouldn't read direct temp, but you'd sure know when it's hot.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 08/05/07 at 05:11:48

There is an oil filter/cooler in the Jireh catalog that I really like.  The body of it is billet Al and has machined fins on it for good cooling effect, and it has a replaceable filter, and is about the size of a small auto oil filter.
I am thinking of trying to drill & tap the bolts on the engine case that access the oil system as discussed in the past, and attaching the hose from them to the filter/cooler.  Should not be too difficult.
The filter/cooler is in the $100-150 range, just don't remember exactly right now.

Found it, part #25-40, $91.95, but no pic on the website though there is one in the catalog.

It says..."filter cooler mounts directly to any 3/4"x16 thread spin-on filter mount (so mount is seperate).  Provides oil cooling with fast economical filter changes for late model HD with front mount spin-on filter.  
Features a high efficiencey disposable fillter cartridge combbined with a finned aluminum canister housing, stainless steel nut plate and  port nut, necessary seals, 3 replacement filter cartridges, and a socket filter wrence for mounting and cartridge replacement."

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 08/06/07 at 07:37:37

I picked up one of those German oil temp gauges (in Celsius) and have been watching it.  Lately, with temps in the mid and upper 90's (F) and after about 30-40 miles of freeway riding at 70 MPH, the oil temps have been running close to 130° C (that's roughly 266° F).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 08/06/07 at 20:17:38

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I picked up one of those German oil temp gauges (in Celsius) and have been watching it.  Lately, with temps in the mid and upper 90's (F) and after about 30-40 miles of freeway riding at 70 MPH, the oil temps have been running close to 130° C (that's roughly 266° F).

Dang that seems high if it's one of the filler cap screw in - better keep the dino out - or does your's really measure the oil temp ?

- the filler cap screw in's just measure air temp in the case so the oil can be several deg hotter so much over 110C in stop and go traffic and I'll park the '95 a bit.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/06/07 at 23:00:05

I'd say that's about right... as my stick on temp gage no longer works.   :'(

I did get a IR spot thermometer, said 180°F in the same area as the oil channel in the clutch cover after a similar run.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 08/07/07 at 06:05:03

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Dang that seems high if it's one of the filler cap screw in - better keep the dino out - or does your's really measure the oil temp ?

- the filler cap screw in's just measure air temp in the case so the oil can be several deg hotter so much over 110C in stop and go traffic and I'll park the '95 a bit.

It is the oil filler cap screw-in.  Below is a view of it cropped from a shot I took of that side when I replaced the clutch springs and cam chain tensioner adjuster.  If I remember correctly, the end of the thermometer is about 1/4 inch or less from the splash guard but I don't remember for sure.  It wasn't hitting metal though.  I always run pure synthetic, so it concerns me less.  It's a tad disconcerting, however, that the gauge starts into the "red" at 120° C.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #14 - 08/13/07 at 14:21:27

Just did my 2nd oilchange at 1400 miles. After a brisk 20 mile ride ( 60 to 75 mph)in 88 degree weather immediatly drained and measured oil temp with oventhermometer as it exited the drain opening. Almost 200 degree (about same as the first) This is the temperature that goes thru the oil pump and it might pick up some more degrees on its way to the lube points. The return oil is always hotter since it picked up heat from cooling and lubricating (friction) So I think that I don't have to worry about overtemp. Granted localized temps will be higher in certain spots. This time put in Mobil 1  15W50 ext performance (easy to get @$5.50)Unlike the other grades of Mobil 1 this 15W50 does not have "energy conserving= friction modifiers) on the label. I have been using Mobil 1 since 1976 (had to buy it on the docks from the distributor since it was not available at the stores yet) and have been using it in every vehicle since  after a break-in period with regular oil to seat the rings.(exept airplane since mobil 1 can not scavange lead in avgas and forms sludge) My car has 150000 and another car has 120000 miles and both run like new. Used it in my Ducati 39000 miles and 3 seasons of road racing and in my Honda 650 interstate for 28000 miles (which I still own) without any clutch/spring replacement or problems. Driven 200 miles on S(avage)40 and clutch works great. Compared stats on 20W50 V twin (harder to find) and regular 15W50. Almost identical on everything (Gravity,Density, Flash point,Viscosity Kinematic cst @ 40 and 100 degree Celcius, Viscosity index etc) and Mobil could not supply a good reason to go with V-twin.( I think they can just charge more). Roll Eyes

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:29:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cyl head temp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.