Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Harley seats...
Reply #15 - 08/02/07 at 04:56:57

Strafford_Guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
theikeman, do you know the year of the bike that the HD seat came off of? Also what was the lenght? That is a sharp looking seat and I like that fact that you can use the hd bolt down tab.

When I read his post, it said you can't use the HD bolt-down tab.  I drilled the rivets out of the tab in the front, bolted it to the back of the seat and used it there.  Of course, mine is a '98 and has the steel "loop" in the back to slide a tab under without bolting it to the fender.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #16 - 08/02/07 at 05:55:09

Savage_Rob,
Thanks for bringing  that up.

This is where I am getting cofused. I read that one seat would work using the same hardware -

Quote "If you'll notice that seat was the shorter version from the bigger tank"

I read that to mean that you can use the same hardware.

Quote "The seat from the small tank almost touches the taillight, which means you cant use the rear Harley tab to bolt it down"

I read that to mean that you can't use the same hardware.

There is another post in thread that said the sportster seat for sale was 27 in.

So I was wondering what year theikeman's HD seat came from as well as the lenght of the seat (shorter version with the bigger tank)

I have a 96 so am i correct in my thinking that with the the shorter seat you can use the "loop" on the fender of the 96.

Thanks again

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
thirty-aught-six
YaBB Newbies

Texas
Reply #17 - 08/02/07 at 06:23:15

I don't know about how it fits on the bike, but the Sporty seats off the 1200 Custom (bike with the larger tank) are 27" which I am told is the shorter seat.  That applies to '05 and '06 - don't know about other years.  A seat from an '06  1200 Low was also 27" but don't know whether that is always the case or not.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 08/02/07 at 11:36:11

Strafford_Guy,
I have a 98 with the same loop and as I said above, I drilled the rivets out of the tab on the front of the seat, bent it slightly, bolted it to the back of the seat and used it there to slide under the metal loop.  BTW, I have the 27" Sportster seat.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #19 - 08/02/07 at 12:51:06

RoadToad wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
thanx fer gettin' back on this.....am wishing to replace stock seat, unsure as to what type [years] Harley seat to purchase....saw one on E-bay, but for $100.00 to ship is, well to be blunt.....outrageous!  Also realize that some "mods" will need to be done to attach, but just figured there may be better year/models that would be easier or better.

Who charges $100 to ship a Sportster seat? Please post the auction. Most of the seats go for under $100 and shipping is usually in the$20-$30 range. Yeah, these folk are making money, and I don't blame them if they're doing it legit, but $100 shipping is enough to get eBay to spank them.

Shipping costs have gone up astronomically though, so expect all shipping charges to be a bit high.  Sad

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 08/02/07 at 13:15:26

Yeah, for the seat I just got they charged me $25 shipping and the actual postage was $26.80 when it arrived.

Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #21 - 08/02/07 at 14:46:32

Thanks to all who answered the question concerning the size of the seat. Thanks Savage_Rob for clearing up my confusion.
~Strafford_Guy~

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 08/02/07 at 15:19:33

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Who charges $100 to ship a Sportster seat? Please post the auction. Most of the seats go for under $100 and shipping is usually in the$20-$30 range. Yeah, these folk are making money, and I don't blame them if they're doing it legit, but $100 shipping is enough to get eBay to spank them.

I think they do it instead of posting a minimum or reserve.  And I think it's underhanded so I don't bid on them.  I vote with my feet.

WWW   IP Logged
RoadToad
YaBB Newbies

Oregon
Reply #23 - 08/02/07 at 16:02:55

sorry, do not remember the name of outfit that had a harley seat on e-bay.....but they were in florida, was two/three weeks ago....and min. bid started @ $99....
then you scrolled down to shipping, and it stated $99
to ship USA.....so i passed, just too rich for my blood,
sorry guys...

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #24 - 08/02/07 at 18:47:44

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I'm waiting to see.  I like the leather construction of the seat I had on her and I really liked the appearance too.  It was definitely more comfortable than the old two-piece stock seat but I've heard so much about the Sporty seats being much more comfortable that I had to try.  So I watched eBay for a while and picked one up.  I mounted it last weekend using a method very much like Verslagen1's.  I definitely like using speed pins instead of bolts.  I have some minor finishing to do but it's fully functional right now.

We need to meet up and compare notes. I tried to the t-bracket method and while functional, well, its a little sloppy. I'd like to see your install. Like another poster said, still a ridge that puts me rear a tad far forward.
Couldnt pass up on the deal though...$50 delivered.

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 08/03/07 at 04:48:27

TVR_FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
We need to meet up and compare notes. I tried to the t-bracket method and while functional, well, its a little sloppy. I'd like to see your install. Like another poster said, still a ridge that puts me rear a tad far forward. Couldnt pass up on the deal though...$50 delivered.

I still have a little finishing to do and am also thinking about raising the nose a little bit.  Still have a bit of the forward slide too.  But it seems fairly comfortable.

TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #26 - 08/04/07 at 13:38:39

Yep, I have the slide too. Mine is functional, but I want to re-do it this winter.

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:19:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley seats...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.