Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine Cover problems (Read 7 times)
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Engine Cover problems
08/02/07 at 21:24:43

So, I have a 96 savage and I decided to powder coat the 2 engine covers myself. Pretty proud of my work I must add Smiley. Anyway, I decided to go cheap and slap the covers back togther using Hondabond gasket maker. Well ,after installing the covers, my bike won't start. I mean it will crank, but it sounds as if the strater doesn't disengage. I tried it a couple of times and it started to make this grinding noise so I stopped. There was even a little bit of smoke from where the starter gear is located. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? I'm pretty sure I installed everything the right way with the exception of using an original engine gasket. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to tow the bike to a local shop.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Engine Cover problems
Reply #1 - 08/03/07 at 02:37:43

Get the covers off, remove the gasketmaker sh$t, obtain 2 original gaskets, check for proper installation of parts behind the covers, install the covers, try again.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 08/03/07 at 06:11:36

I have no problem getting new gaskets, but how can the gasket affect the starter? I tell you, it was the most frustrating experience. I put everything back together and then this problem developed.

PS- How do you guys post pics? When I try to insert a pic, it just says [img][/img]

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/03/07 at 07:53:30

regarding the picture.

Your picture has to be on the web somewhere.

Right click on it.  There should be a line that lists the address, copy that.

put your cursor inbetween the center pair of brackets and paste the address there.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 08/03/07 at 09:52:39

Jimworx,
  Many motorcycles are not like cars.  Many have a starter that is either geared or chain linked to a "clutch"on the flywheel (LS650's are gear linked).  The clutch is a one way gizmo that grabs / engages and turns the crank when starting the engine.  Once the crankshaft gets moving faster than the starter, the clutch free-wheels the starter mechanisim.   Some older bikes you could actually hit the starter button and spin the starter with the bike running.  Can't remember if the LS650 can do this as I haven't accidentilly hit the button.  It usually doesn't really hurt the bike because most engines usually idle faster that the starter turns.  The clutch just freewheels, with no load on the starter. Shouldn't let the starter run too long though.

As for grinding noises in the side cover, take the cover off and look for the wear marks.  Most likely something is out of alignment, or maybe there something that accidently is rubbing (old gasket material, a oops'd bolt left somewhere, the little washer that's suppose to be on the one intermediate gear, etc etc)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 08/03/07 at 14:49:12

Thanks for the input. I will take the covers off again when it's a little cooler. By the way, does anyone know where I can get a picture of what the inside should look like? That way when I open up the engine, I'll know what to look for.

Thanks,
Jim

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:24:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Cover problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.