Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Different Seats on some Savages (Read 72 times)
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Re: Different Seats on some Savages
Reply #45 - 08/21/07 at 05:53:48

Gotta get one taken yet.  Glenn had his seat professionally redone by an upholster, then decided to go with a solo seat.  Lancer was the lucky dog!  He bought it mere moments before I saw the post putting it up for sale.  Pics here.  Its sweet!

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #46 - 08/21/07 at 10:29:09

Ohhhhh.....that is NICE!
Maybe one day soon I'll be able to afford something like that Smiley

I wonder if it is as comfortable as it looks,probably so Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #47 - 08/21/07 at 11:03:50

I figured it was a pricey project as well but I believe it ran somewhere between $130 - $150.

Considering they get $165.99 for a Leather Pillow top S40 OEM Gel Seat, the recover job on the stock seat is actually cheaper and much, much nicer than the stock seat for sure.

If I can find someone to redo my stock seat over the winter, I just may have a Gel seat for sale here next season!

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #48 - 08/21/07 at 19:33:36

I did the risers, much easier than I thought,looks good.

But when I sat on it, I realized that my seat needs repadding big time Sad It put me back on the backof the seat and its bad....the padding that is.
Could have been a heavy person that owned it at one time.

So, I noticed my used bicycle that I never ride seems to have a gel seat on it...pretty nice...so I'm going to try to put that on somehow but if I can't,can someone tell me what they use to add padding in the seat.

Or to even put on top of it temporarily Smiley

Or....is there a good post on this already,somewhere?

Thanks!

IP Logged
wrongwayair

central Il
Reply #49 - 08/23/07 at 17:50:56

S40NewYork wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
If I can find someone to redo my stock seat over the winter, I just may have a Gel seat for sale here next season!

I've heard from several fellow riders say this is the best place for seat mods.......if nothing else, the guys should appreciate the pin up girl logo  Wink

http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.html

Indecision may or may not be my problem .... Jimmy Buffett
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #50 - 08/24/07 at 09:02:54

The Pro Pad looks interesting but I didnt see a price on it.

These guys may not be far from me Smiley

What about some type of "memory foam"? Sounds like it would be great for a seat....has anyone tried that?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #51 - 08/24/07 at 09:28:29

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
What about some type of "memory foam"? Sounds like it would be great for a seat....has anyone tried that?

Yes.. tried that too.  My opinion:The stuff you get with pillows and mattresses compressed too far to be of any use as a seat cushion.
Hopefully the stuff they use at Mean City Cycle is better.. and maybe you can find that grade at a decent price.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #52 - 08/24/07 at 10:55:36

http://www.buttbuffer.com/ has what appear to be very similar pads for sale.

Note:  Typing buttbuffers instead buttbuffer will yield an entirely different sort of site.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #53 - 08/24/07 at 10:57:50

Thanks Youzguyz!

Yes, I'm trying to get the cost from the company now.

You know I didnt see a good post in the tech forum on this.....yet.
There's good stuff about the risers,but not too much on  the seats,so far....I'll keep searching around though,(everywhere Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #54 - 08/24/07 at 11:11:37

There are three seat threads in the Tech Ref forum so far that I know of... one for putting a sportster seat on a Savage, one for putting an S40 gel seat on a Savage and one for lifting the front of the seat.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
wrongwayair

central Il
Reply #55 - 08/24/07 at 19:28:23

Don't forget the "soothing the savage seat...." thread to convert the seat yourself.  I may give that a shot this winter unless I buy some add on before then.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Indecision may or may not be my problem .... Jimmy Buffett
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #56 - 08/25/07 at 00:00:37

Yes,I saw that....it is good!(Soothing the Savage seat)

And I may do that eventually,this winter as well.

But I was thinking more on cheaper/temporary lines,like just ordinary padding for now....I have no clue what to use or where to get it Smiley  Guess I need to go to a upholstery shop?! Or buy foam padding at Walmart ?!

Or ...just something on top of seat temporary that's not too expensive.Guess I'll need to use my imagination Smiley

But I raised my seat 1 1/2" and its nice to not slide forward but uncomfortable,only due to feels like no padding in the back part of seat now.....so this weekend I'm going to change it to 1" and see if that's better.That may fix it enough for now and maybe add something else underneath  to make up for the rise.That may help also.

Thanks!

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #57 - 08/25/07 at 13:41:34

Balderdash wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
When you take off your seat, you can see the two bolts that hold down the back of the gas tank.  Those two bolts also hold down the bracket that the plastic clip on the front of the seat goes under when you re-attach the seat.

The idea is to raise that bracket by an inch or two so that the front of the seat is higher and your butt will then stay on the back round part of the seat instead of sliding forward to the skinnier part of the seat and/or riding you up on on the gas tank...

What I did was I went to a hardware store, took off my seat, took out one of the two bolts holding the gas tank down and took that bolt into the store with me.  

I bought two bolts that were the same thread size but one and a half inches longer.  Then I bought 6, 1/2 inch (fat and tall) urathane washers and I used three stacked up on each side so they would be 1 1/2 inches tall with the bolt through them and put them on top of the gas tank mounts.  Then I put the bracket on top of those.  

Thus, the front of my seat is now 1 1/2 inches taller then it was before, making it more comfortable for me to ride the bike.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Ph33r/Gel_Seat/Seat_Lift.jpg

Now I'm utterly confused!
I don't remember the petcork hitting the frame last time I tried to do this! I am not able to lift tank up more then 3/4 inch. How were you able to raise yours that height?
Wait a sec!
You put these on top of the gas tank bracket.
Why does it look like your gas tank is so high?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #58 - 08/25/07 at 13:51:20

Well I need a better brain or eyes!!
My tank is that high too. Now another question.
those rubber rings under the tank bracket with the metal thing inside, do they stay there? If they do I guess the rubber rings have to have a big enough hole in them for those things to go through.
I'm going to get started, back in a while!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #59 - 08/25/07 at 17:12:18

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I do have a little massage pillow that fits behind your neck(great for headaches) and there are tiny little bead things in it. Its actually very comfortable,kinda feels soft in a way but supportive.
Like those?

No, but that is a thought...however, I've never seen one BIG enough! Wink

What they are talking about is a wooden beaded item that is usually placed over a car seat (truckers use them) and the grape size wooden beads move a tiny bit within the open weave, thus preventing areas of stagnation pain.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:15:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Different Seats on some Savages

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.