Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Different Seats on some Savages (Read 72 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Different Seats on some Savages
Reply #30 - 08/15/07 at 11:25:22

Just doing the simple mod of raising the front makes a difference and it's a cheap and easy place to start while you think about other options.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #31 - 08/17/07 at 08:42:32

Seat Risers:

Ok guys, I got the bolts(1 3/4" long) , at the hardware store,.....but could not find the ureathane washers.

They had some very small ones but it would have taken about 20 or more to make 1 1/2".

Went to 2 different hardware stores and nothin.
Well actually I couldnt leave without something so I bought Caster sockets SmileyThey are used to fit up in tubular metal chair legs!? Ya'll can go ahead and laugh Smiley

Have no idea if this will work or not!(they're about 1" around and about 1 1/4" long but get smaller at the bottom almost  1/2 " .They are all one piece with a hole through them that fit the bolt pretty well,head wont go through.

But really wanted to ask....how did ya'll find your ureathane washers and are they used for something in particular so I could help the store ppl locate them in the hdwe store.

Is there a certain name for them or ........????

Sorry, but I want to be able to do the seat risers this weekend and wanted to try to get ya'lls help soon enough.I can also get different bolts if needed.

Thanks.....glad ya'll know more than me Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #32 - 08/17/07 at 08:49:32

You didn't HAVE to use those washers.
Lots of people have used different things:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1109035237

I used the #7 rubber stoppers for mine.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 08/17/07 at 08:51:07

Use whatever you can find.  I've heard everything from rubber stoppers and blocks to plastic pipe.  Now caster sockets.  Neccessity is the mother of invention.

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #34 - 08/17/07 at 09:36:37

Thanks guys,
Ok....I'll try these(caster sockets) and just see if they will work.....

But I just read that link and the guy (?) said he used
2.5 " bolts......how long of bolts do I need? That long?

My c.sockets are 1 1/4" long.
I only got 1 3/4 " bolts.

Havent taken out the original bolts yet,just got off work(night shift) and can't hardly hold my eyes open Smiley

How much longer seat bolts do you need minus the height you want to raise it? Or how long are the original bolts? Sorry, cant figure out how to word that.

IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #35 - 08/17/07 at 23:07:04

And if you really would rather have the 2 piece I will trade ya a 2 for a single seat.

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #36 - 08/18/07 at 01:06:24

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
To be honest, I don't think there's a lot of difference between the stock seats, whether two-piece or gunslinger.  In my opinion, the pillowtop gel seat for the S40 is more comfortable than the stock.  I'm now trying out the HD Sportster seat on mine and it seems fairly comfortable so far.  However, I haven't done any long rides with it yet... just 25-30 miles at a stint so far and that never bothered me anyway.

Rob, does the gel seat from the S40 fit the 98 Savage perfectly?  Or is there some adjusting and tweaking to do?

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #37 - 08/18/07 at 01:39:47

Can someone  tell me what length bolts are needed to use for the risers? (I realized I may have the wrong length.)

(and I posted what I'm working with above)

I have looked in the Tech forum and all over here ,read alot of info,but the only post I saw where anyone mentioned length ,they used 2.5",nobody else mentions the length of the bolts!?

I have no tools yet,so I would like to pick up tools and bolts at the same time ,since the Hdwe store is not right down the street.

I really would like to know what length bolts are in there now.If someone could tell me that ,that would be great.

Since I have no Tools yet,I cant take it out to measure it Smiley

Thanks!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #38 - 08/18/07 at 08:34:17

Ok,after I got awake good,had my 2nd cup of coffee,and remembered that most things are simple......
I realized,just go buy different length's of bolts!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #39 - 08/18/07 at 08:54:14

Savage = HD eater wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Rob, does the gel seat from the S40 fit the 98 Savage perfectly?  Or is there some adjusting and tweaking to do?

Minor mod.  Either bend the metal loop on the fender to be able to slide the bolt tab on the S40 seat underneath it or simply remove the tab from the seat.  I first bent the fender's loop but it was still a pain to have to flex the seat every time I removed/replaced it.  I decided to just drill out the rivets on the tab and remove the tab from the seat entirely.  Then the S40 seat attaches exactly like the original Savage rider seat.  It just has the pillion attached.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #40 - 08/19/07 at 11:37:32

I now know why my seat cover doesn't match the backrest pad cover. I never knew I had the gel seat if that is what the smooth cover is!! I hate to think what the stock seat feels like!! Miles in the seat does make it better. Right at 5000 miles now. Will probable do a sportster seat sometime in the future. The closest local Harley dealer says they never have take off seats to sell. Will come across one sooner or later at the price I will pay!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #41 - 08/20/07 at 13:28:15

I just put my gel seat on.   (I got it from s40rob - LAST YEAR for god sake it's about time!)  Well..I didn't put it on...the man did it for me.....Finally....anyway..

I was using a Brooklyn Butt Buffer with the stock S40 seat.  http://brooklynbuttbuffer.com/moreinfo.htm
I bought it at a rally after watching a demo.  They put a bunch of nails, screws, pieces of metal on top of a leather bike seat, put the buffer on top of all that junk and had you sit on it.  Honest to god, no kiddin, not one poke in the butt from any of that stuff, simply amazing!  I think I paid about $50 for it (probably because it was a rally special) Online is a little pricey at $72.00 but it's worth every penny...!!

I really love the butt buffer.  It made the stock seat a tad better, but I really needed softer and higher.   The combination of the OEM Gel Seat, the front lift and the butt buffer is just perfect.  Makes a world of difference.

I'm now looking for an upholstery shop that will redo my stock seat like Glenn's.   Grin

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #42 - 08/20/07 at 17:07:29

Glad you got a perfect fit,eglidegirl !

You have a picture of your bike with the new seat on?

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #43 - 08/20/07 at 17:10:23

How did Glenn do his seat? Gel? Picture?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #44 - 08/20/07 at 18:16:13

youzguyz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
With all due respect to Sluggo.. yeah, you can get there by "ride, ride, ride"  until you get accustomed to it, but I would rather enjoy the ride while getting there.

due respect and sluggo mentioned in the same sentance,  next thing ya know cats and dog's will be living together..  chicken's will break up fights between bunnies.  and god forbid we all end up out by the dumpster.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Different Seats on some Savages

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.