Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Different Seats on some Savages (Read 72 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Different Seats on some Savages
Reply #15 - 08/10/07 at 21:57:28

Skat,

I'll have to look on my bike tomorrow and see how easy it would be to take the seat off or up.

But you do make it sound easy Smiley

Does this/risers make a big difference? Do you feel a difference.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #16 - 08/12/07 at 13:13:53

Repeat.....

Anyone?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #17 - 08/12/07 at 15:15:57

i've said it before, i'll say it again...

you can spend a fortune looking for a "comfortable" seat.  but it's time in the saddle that will cure monkee butt. the more you ride, the more you're butt becomes accustomed to the ride.  

ride  ride  ride, thats the only thing that will give you experience.  

oh yeah,  the only accessory the savage needs is [glow=red,2,300]FUEL [/glow]   8)

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #18 - 08/13/07 at 06:14:18

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Repeat.....
Anyone?

Yes, risers make a difference. The biggest thing people notice and comment on is that the riser keeps you from sliding into the tank.

It also puts your weight a little differently on the seat, thus increasing the amount of time you can ride before monkey butt sets in.

Its an easy mod, and one worth trying on your own to see if it works for you. If not, just take the riser out, no loss.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #19 - 08/13/07 at 22:59:01

Ok, I see now what ya'll are saying about sliding down/forward to the gas tank. Didnt notice it before ,I was concentrating so much on learning to ride Smiley

But now I have a awww....dumb question again.

How do you take the seat off? I want the risers on!

Also,is there a good Savage book(better than the manual) that shows you things like....how to remove the seat,replace fuses,and basic stuff "or more".If so, what book is it?
Thanks guys!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #20 - 08/14/07 at 05:03:13

There are 2 bolts for the "driver" seat.  One on each side, located towards the back, up under the seat.

Remove bolts then tip back up seat up and slide back to remove.

More info on doing the seat riser (lift) here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1109035237

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #21 - 08/14/07 at 14:35:12

We went for a pretty long ride with a group of guys. On this trip I learned a lot about different issues on long trips.
About the seat comfort I learned 2 things:
1. there is a cover called " Air hawk" /i think/. What it is - like an air pad with many compartments, that You inflate very lightly. Two guys had this pad- one on a 2003 Honda ST1300 and the other on a 2007 HD Road Glide. Both love the pad. It is not cheap , but they say , it is worthed the money.
2.There was a new rider guy on a Victory Vegas. He had 2 different additional seat covers and keep exchanging them all the time. He had a shipskin and one that he made out of a Pep boys car upholstery. /the one that has beanies, made of wood/. The 2 things he said are that the "beanies"  are  very comfortable and prevent his behind from sweating + they give a massage to his gentle parts. He had good things to say about the shipskin also. Finally he settled for the beans over the shipskin and he rode most of the trip this way.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 08/14/07 at 17:47:55

I had not thought about the wood bead cushion thing.  I have used them in a car and liked them...interesting....

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #23 - 08/14/07 at 19:59:39

I've seen the bead car seat things, usually two tone beads.  Makes me wonder if you could get the beads rearranged into the Suzuki "S"?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #24 - 08/15/07 at 00:18:43

The tiny little beanie things like in massage pillows?

I do have a little massage pillow that fits behind your neck(great for headaches) and there are tiny little bead things in it.

Its actually very comfortable,kinda feels soft in a way but supportive.

Like those?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #25 - 08/15/07 at 02:49:11

Time to throw in my 2cents worth..  which is about all it's worth.  Remember, these are MY experiences, and one thing I found out from all the posts I read and everything I tried.. nothing is going to work the same for everyone!!

I had the "sore tailbone" problem.  I tried:

1. Seat lift - helped a little

2. bicycle gel pad - no help at all for me.

3. Sportster seat - went to HD place and sat on a few.  Did not impress me enough to do a mod.

4. Wooden bead seat cushion (the kind that are talked about above) - great, for about 10 miles, then worse than before.

Got a spare set of seat pans (bought from a guy here) then:

5. Dug various holes in the foam where sore spots were and tried various kinds of other foam.  Memory foam, some kind of weird latex, upholstery foam, etc, etc.  Modest improvements, but now I was on a mission.. and still sore after riding for about 4 hours.

6. Spend the $$ and got an AirHawk.  Slapped it on the stock seat.  Felt pretty nice, but didn't like the look very much, and would be a hassle to put on and take off (so it wouldn't be ripped off), etc.  And it made the seat higher than I liked.

7. The light comes on.. and I put the Airhawk on the spare seat pan (with a thin layer of foam underneath).  Eureka!!  Finished it up with some gray naugahyde and been loving it ever since.  It rides lower than the stock seat, it has a nice bucket shape, it doesn't HURT.

8. Still need to put on a sheepskin cover.  Got the skin, no time to fit yet.

My next step would have been a custom seat.  I didn't want to go that way because:
1. I wanted to be there when it was being made, so I could make sure it would work ok.
2. Expense!!!

No, this will not work for everyone, but I thought I would share what didn't work for me.

With all due respect to Sluggo.. yeah, you can get there by "ride, ride, ride"  until you get accustomed to it, but I would rather enjoy the ride while getting there.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #26 - 08/15/07 at 05:15:26

Ok, I'm still new to all this...mods, seat's/seat fixes,etc.

But I almost bought a Kawasaki  because I loved the seat so much Smiley Felt so good to sit on.Bucket type.

Are there any seat's/seat fixes similiar to that that will work on the Savage?

I've never seen the gel seats or sat on one or the others ya'll are talking about,so I'm asking this question to see if any are similiar.

What exactly is the Airhawk....is it a seat or something you add to your existing seat?

Also what is the Corbin seat? I think I saw a Savage advertised with that seat on it,but not positive.

Sorry,lots of questions in one post Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #27 - 08/15/07 at 05:24:34

An Airhawk is an inflatable pad strapped to the existing seat.  Corbin is an aftermarket seat manufacturer.  There are a lot of mods that can be done to the seat or to replace it.  Some folks remove the vinyl, shave some of the foam and add gell padding and restaple the vinyl.  Some replace the vinyl entirely with leather or marine grade vinyl.  I went with a one-piece pillowtop leather S40 gel seat on my 98 Savage for a while but several folks whose opinions I respect have reported success with the HD Sportster seat and it can be had on eBay cheaper than most other options.  I decided to give it a try.  It takes a little adaptation to get it mounted, though not a lot, and you can be inventive there too.  I've had one on mine for a few weeks now and am liking it quite a bit so far, though I still have some adjustments to make.  Do some searches and read the stuff in the Tech Ref forum.  There is already a lot of information covered.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #28 - 08/15/07 at 10:02:25

I guess looking back to the original thread question, "which is more comfortable", the question really should be asked,..... Are you comfortable on your seat???   Can you go for an long ride and still walk afterwards?   I went for a 3 hr ride on my stock 2001 and was ok, but I'm pretty much an avg built guy.  

If your comfortable on long rides , 3-4 hrs on a nice Saturday afternoon, then spend your money on riding gear or safety equipment.....or toys, or......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #29 - 08/15/07 at 11:21:03

Yes, I have just started reading in the Tech forum....Had not been in that forum much at first,didnt understand it  but its getting better to understand due to others help in other forums.

And yes,there is alot of good info there.

As far as the comfort of my seat goes.....if I hadnt of sat on so many other/different bikes when looking for a bike ,I wouldnt have gotten spoiled to the fact of possibly a better seat Smiley

I already know I want to change it!But I have wasted some money on stuff due to my little knowledge and wanted to get a better idea of what to do. Dont have alot of money for bike stuff to be wasting it.

So far, the risers sound great...and even the other factory seat for the Savage looks like it would be better than the one I have. I have the textured looking seat,like the S-40's. Don't feel like there's much of a seat under me ,the way it is now Smiley
Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:19:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Different Seats on some Savages

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.