Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Cranky mornings
Reply #15 - 08/03/07 at 10:17:49

Let us know how it goes.  

Here's another thought to follow.  Battery!!!  Here's why,  When you first start the bike in the morning, oil is cool, gas vapors are out of the intake and it take's a little more amps to crank the bike.  Usually the battery voltage drops a tiny bit, lets say to 10 or 11 volts or so.  Well, it's a CDI bike.  Until you get the battery back up to voltage it will be a little bit "cranky".  

I had a very old Jeep that did the same thing unitl I upgraded the charging system.  I had thought it was the carb and had rebuilf it twice.

So, here's an easy experiment,  this weekend, jump start the bike with another battery or from a car.  Then go for a quick ride to see if it is still "cranky".    If it is, then it's not the battery voltage.    If it is NOT..., then clean all the clean-able wiring connection on the charging system.  Check the water level in battery too.

Always try the easy things first!!!

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
oldman
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/03/07 at 13:15:18

I've had sticky sliders cause similiar problems. Add a little Sea Foam to the next couple of tanks before you start working on it . It will help clean up the fuel system, which nevers hurts.

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #17 - 08/03/07 at 17:28:58

Oldman,

Gotta admitt my ignorance..........what is "sea foam," other than something I saw a lot of in the Navy?

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
oldman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/03/07 at 18:28:32

What is Sea foam? well I tell you it's just about the most wonderful stuff around it'll remove warts cure the common cold relieve pain from arthritus  and gout even clears ups acne. Actually I lied it doesn't do any of those things, but it does an excellent job of cleaning out your fuel system . It's the best I tried. I'm not sure who in your area handles it, O'Reilly's in Texas and I'm sure other parts stores handle it because nearly everyone on the Magna owners forum uses it. Here it's about $8.00 a can and worth every penny of it.

And no I don't own stock in Sea Foam Grin

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #19 - 08/03/07 at 18:57:57

Thanks, I'll give it shot next fill up.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 08/03/07 at 19:03:13

forrest wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Oldman,

Gotta admitt my ignorance..........what is "sea foam," other than something I saw a lot of in the Navy?

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #21 - 08/04/07 at 13:59:51

Is that mail order only Rob? I don't recall seeing it in my normal haunts.

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #22 - 08/04/07 at 14:14:20

Savage_Rob, do you use it?

IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #23 - 08/04/07 at 17:00:51

In Indy you can get Sea Foam at Advance Auto, Auto Zone, WalMart, and NAPA stores. Comes in a white can with red letters. I agree, it is about the most amazing stuff I have ever seen. It is a great end of season additive and I use it routinely in all my small engines (lawnmowers, tillers, etc.) first tank of the spring. Almost never have a problem cranking up at first one or two pulls on the starter rope or revs of motor on starters.

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #24 - 08/04/07 at 18:09:12

I just get it at Autozone.  It's like using a fuel treatment/fuel system cleaner.  I also add it to to the 5 gallon gas can I keep in the garage because I only use that can for every 2nd or 3rd tankful and it's also a fuel stabilizer similar to Sta-Bil.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/04/07 at 18:28:27

seriously, i just noticed this same problem last night on my 95 savage. I kept thinking it was running outta gas but that wasnt the problem. It happens to my bike with temps are between 30-45degrees and the bike has been sitting for more than 2 hours. Now that we have establisished that it seems normal, i will not worry so much. thanks all, this site rules

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #26 - 08/05/07 at 12:31:13

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I just get it at Autozone.  It's like using a fuel treatment/fuel system cleaner.  I also add it to to the 5 gallon gas can I keep in the garage because I only use that can for every 2nd or 3rd tankful and it's also a fuel stabilizer similar to Sta-Bil.

I'll play closer attention. Never noticed it before. Thanks!

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Thumpin

If you ain't thumpin
you may as well be
dumpin

Huntsville AL
Reply #27 - 08/13/07 at 10:56:35

I have a different Idea for you.  I have asinilar problem but because I also have a probloem w/ rough running in rain I got to spraying water into all sorts of odd places.  To make a long investigation short I finally concluded that the problem was centered around the two large diameter rubber hoses that come out of the carb. One from the Air box to the carb the other from the carb to the engine.  Lo and behold when I checked the hose bands were not what I would call tight.  After tightening them up good and snug both the rought mornings and rough rain performance problem appear to have been nixed.  I will update after my first mobile 60 mph bath as to if this has really worked, but so far so good on both issues.

It feels so good when the ground shakes.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #28 - 08/14/07 at 06:38:15

Update.

It has been a 'little' warm here, so I have tried the PRI to start inthe mornings, and noticed a difference. Not completely eliminating the hesitation, but better.

Then the heat wave broke with one day of gorgeous 87 and zero humidity. I rode out that day and never even had a hiccup.

Today, it is humid again, and the hesitation is back.

So, I am inclined to believe it is the humidity factor causing this issue, and setting the petC to PRI helps reduce the effect.

But my question would be to those on the forum who are mechanically minded ~ is it that diaphram acting up in the morning?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 08/14/07 at 06:57:40

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
~ is it that diaphram acting up in the morning?

I can see where such might be cause for one to be cranky but I'm not sure this is the appropriate venue for the airing of such a personal matter.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:58:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cranky mornings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.