Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
time trials (Read 7 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
time trials
08/02/07 at 08:41:21

Just curious what some of you guys are running on the 1/4 mile or the 1/8 mile. and with what mods?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: time trials
Reply #1 - 08/02/07 at 19:31:35

I don't know about the 1/8th mile, but 0-60 best time was a flat 4.9 sec and 1/4 mile was 14.2 sec at 89 mph.

That was done with a carb kit, perf cam, one size over bore with silicone carbide treatment on cyl, and my own design/built exhaust.  Oh, and the exhaust port was opened a little.

The new head has been modified quite a bit more, and the head shaved 0.015 and the cylinder 0.025, which should bring the compression up to 9.5+ to 1.
If I ever get the darn thing back together it will be fun to see what the difference, if any, the time/work  made to the overall performance of the machine.

By the way, my Savage is REX.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 08/03/07 at 16:27:42

Lancer, weren't your "time trials" done with an on board computer and not at an actual track? (Nothing wrong with that, I was just trying to remember). But anyways, with a computer you get to try it over and over as many times as you want to subject your bike to it (and risk getting a ticket).
Grin

At a track there is performance pressure and your reaction time is factored in. I'm only about a mile from the Tulsa International Speedway, and they have regular "run-what-ya-brung" events. I may take my 99 over to the midnite drags (when its cool for me and the bike) and get a couple of time slips. With only my modified exhaust, and at 250+ pounds, I would expect something in the 16 second and 75-80mph range.

I'm betting the little bit of raised compression gets you more power than you would think, and the porting should be good for some too. Too bad we'll never know which mod was responsible for how much of the improvement.

And REX happens to be one of my favorite names. Favorite uncle was named Rex, and often wished I was named after him rather than my maternal grandfather, and other nice uncle John. Anyways... having a name like Rex King, how stud would that be? Had a Dean of boys in HS that nicknamed me "Sky King" because I always came back from lunch flying high! Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 08/03/07 at 17:38:11

Yep, the runs were logged on the Veypor and then the raw data downloaded and processed through the VAS program which ends up spitting out some pretty darn accurate figures.
Lot's of fun to do but kind of hard on the clutch.

Which direction from Tulsa are you?  I lived there years ago and worked one summer at a taco place.   My mom is living in Henyretta and has been for a long time.  Lots of family all over Oklahoma.

By the way, I am no feather weight rider either.  I have been heavier in the past but am now all the way down to 203 ... just weighed in today so that is a very current weight.  Hopefully,  in a week or two I will be below the 200 mark for the first time in ..................................................................  I do not remember when I was last under 200.
Anyway, the lighter I get the faster the bike gets.

I am hoping to get more from the mod's on the engine but will be happy with a moderate increase.  We shall see when all is back together.  At the rate I am going it may be snowing at Christmas before I finish ... all kinds of stuff keeps getting in the way and slowing up the build.

The name REX means King, so if you were Rex King then you would actually be King King.  That would be interesting.
I had not given my bike a name for a very long time, but after my brother died unexpectedly last year I decided to name it after him, and his middle name was Rex.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 08/03/07 at 21:09:54

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Which direction from Tulsa are you?  I lived there years ago and worked one summer at a taco place.   My mom is living in Henyretta and has been for a long time.  Lots of family all over Oklahoma.

I'm out east, nearly to Catoosa. Just about a mile and a half South of the drag strip.

Quote:
By the way, I am no feather weight rider either.  I have been heavier in the past but am now all the way down to 203 ... just weighed in today so that is a very current weight.  Hopefully,  in a week or two I will be below the 200 mark for the first time in ..................................................................  I do not remember when I was last under 200.
Anyway, the lighter I get the faster the bike gets.

I am hoping to get more from the mod's on the engine but will be happy with a moderate increase.  We shall see when all is back together.  At the rate I am going it may be snowing at Christmas before I finish ... all kinds of stuff keeps getting in the way and slowing up the build.

The name REX means King, so if you were Rex King then you would actually be King King.  That would be interesting.
I had not given my bike a name for a very long time, but after my brother died unexpectedly last year I decided to name it after him, and his middle name was Rex.

I won't confess to anything but 250+, but I am bigger. In fact I almost had myself worked down below 250 a few months ago, and then let it slip back up. I do remember the last time below 200 for me. My wife had been in a bad car wreck, so we didn't have her income. At the same time we got caught with three houses, and mortgages. We were fixing and flipping houses, and just got caught off guard by her car wreck. I ended up working 70-80 hour weeks in the summer for the overtime. Since I was working the paint shop, it required full coveralls hat, headdress and respirator. In the 90+ degree weather and high humidity common here, that will sweat some weight off a fat boy quick!

REX=King ... Yup that's why I wished they'd named me REX!

I get through Heneryetta occasionally on my pawnshop tours. The town's big claim to fame is being the hometown of whats-his-name, the old QB for Dallas. Whoops there I go again giving away my lack of interest in football. That isn't well tolerated in Okiezakistan.

Anyways, good work on the bike, and getting your weight down so far. At this point I'd be happy to see 220-230 pounds again. THEN I might set my sights lower.

Having any bike perform and handle better at a lower weight is one reason I took up riding again. Hoping it would be more incentive to drop pounds.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 08/05/07 at 07:40:56

Hey John, I am in Tulsa as well.  I live a few blocks off of Cherry Street.  If you do make it out to the speedway, let me know what you run, I am interested in the seeing the numbers.  Heck, I might even try to get out there one night myself.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 08/05/07 at 12:03:12

Darn, I wish I was in Oklahoma now.

IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/05/07 at 21:20:22

never timed it, but blasted away my freinds who drive a Lexus IS 300 and acura integra type S. so im guessing real fast. mine is stock

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #8 - 08/07/07 at 02:56:49

0-100 km/h ( 0-62,1 miles/h ) 4,51 sek, 67meters
0-50 km/h 2,07 sek 14 meters
Thats the best reading on a Vericom that I borrowed from a friend that are in to dragracing, and he told me it was very accurate to the times he get a the strip.
No times for 1/4 or 1/8 mile.
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/07/07 at 20:59:57

John, I went to Tecumseh High school in 73. That's not far from Tulsa. One weekend 3 of us crazies went to Pauls Valley.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 08/08/07 at 01:02:41

Hey, that's making 4-5 of us in this immediate area now. That's almost enough to get into trouble! Grin  8)

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 08/08/07 at 01:28:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
John, I went to Tecumseh High school in 73. That's not far from Tulsa. One weekend 3 of us crazies went to Pauls Valley.

Only know where Tecumseh is because of taking side roads to Norman before. Wink

Pauls Valley I know of because my wife works for the State, and they used to have (and still do) some facilities down there.

Not real familiar with that whole general area, except I have a nephew, who I guess still lives in Shawnee.

Though I've been all over the state, I'm most familiar with "Green Country" of course. Then north and east towards Missouri and Arkansas. I keep promising to make it down south to the "Talihina Drive." Might make an excellent fall ride in a few weeks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:32:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › time trials

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.