Send Topic Print
Oil change DONE! (Read 22 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Oil change DONE!
Reply #30 - 08/05/07 at 12:03:26

I started back at it at 9:30 AM this morning. It is now 2:30 PM and I am finally FINISHED with the oil change!

I took everyones advice to get the dang nab nut off. I added 3-1 oil and then almond oil later. I soaked it, I rubbed it in, I put a rag on it. I tried double wrenching, rubber mallet, pulled back and forth.

Did I mention it is 98 degrees and humid here? Sweatfest does not even begin to describe this event.

Are you guys ready for what finally worked? I laid on the ground and used my FOOT to push the wrench...and it finally broke loose. Alleluah. (I may not ever reveal full details of how I did that...it's a little scary.)

Wooosh - oil pours out. Thank you thank you thank you.
Completed draining including tipping the bike to get it all out. No problem.
Note shallow, narrow drip pan. Made for better clearance when trying to remove nut.

Step two. Remove allen bolts from case.  Pulled out the tool needed. Not one bolt would budge....AARRGGG!!!!  Angry  Rinse, lather, repeat bolt soaking procedure.

While waiting for all this bolt soaking, I ended up doing a lot of other maintenance on the bike. All the cables are now lubed, every other nut and bolt checked for tightness (huh), cleaned the whole bike, waxed it, oiled what needed oiled, greased everything else, polished the chrome, checked the brakes. Looking downright spiffy, even if I can't go anywhere because all the oil is drained out.  Tongue

Another hour of whacking away and oiling and soaking until, at last, the allen bolts surrender to my merciless cussing.

For future reference the 2006 model uses a 14 mm wrench, and a 5 mm allen wrench on the case, and OEM part number 16510-37450 oil filter.

Thank you one and all.  Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Oil change NEED HELP!
Reply #31 - 08/05/07 at 12:20:36

PhotoProf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
verslagen1 may be right now that I reflect on things. For some reason, it seems like you did go opposite of normal (loosey leftie) direction.
Oh... I know what threw me off... it was the mirror... everything is reversed. Just kidding.

Mirror or no mirror, here is how mine finally came off.
If you are on the LEFT side of the bike (as shown in photo above) the wrench needs to go LEFT.  That would be turning down.

What got crazy was how many times I was on the right AND left sides of the bike trying to work it loose.  As it happened, I was on the RIGHT side when the miracle occured. Naturally, the wrench flew off and I could not believe anything had worked until I got up under there again, and the bolt was free.

Once I cool down I plan to take a short ride. I did all the final steps of idling, checking levels and stuff, no leaks so far. Want to get it out and really moving before I am sure it is good to go for the daily commute tomorrow.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #32 - 08/05/07 at 12:23:24

Congrats! Nothing more satisfying than WINNING!  Grin

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 08/05/07 at 12:27:11

once had a 63 vdub bus.  The rear drums were secured to the axles by a rather large nut.  I had a 18" cresent wrench and a 6' cheater.  Put her in 1st gear, set the parking brake and blocked the wheel.  Tried it from the back, the wheel turned and spit out the block for good measure.  OK, now from the front, same thing.  Ok bigger block and sisters standing on the brake.  Oh yeah she finally comes loose.  The required torque on those puppies 200+ ft-lbs.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #34 - 08/05/07 at 12:45:36

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
once had a 63 vdub bus.  Ok bigger block and sisters standing on the brake.  Oh yeah she finally comes loose.  The required torque on those puppies 200+ ft-lbs.   Grin

You must have VERY cool sisters!  Wink

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #35 - 08/05/07 at 13:25:09

Yeah, the VW axle bolts were a bear. We always used a Craftsman socket and a huge cheater bar and put a piece of plywood between the bolt and the man turning the bar, because sometimes the socket would shatter. Sears always replaced it.

Glad you got the oil change done. Vibration can make bolts get pretty tight. That's one reason you put anti-sieze on spark plugs.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #36 - 08/05/07 at 14:20:44

Good to hear you've met with success! Next time, video the episode... maybe you could sell the DVD and recoup the cost of your new wrench set!!!

Ride safe!

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #37 - 08/05/07 at 16:51:29

PhotoProf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Good to hear you've met with success! Next time, video the episode... maybe you could sell the DVD and recoup the cost of your new wrench set!!!
Ride safe!

It would have to be a silent movie due to the variations of bad words being shouted.  And did I mention it was a little warm today? It was NOT a pretty sight.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged
guitar52
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 08/05/07 at 17:39:50

I use a painters roller pan to catch the oil, works nicely!

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #39 - 08/05/07 at 18:52:56

Glad you have a sense of humor!! Sometimes the little jobs turn into big ones... I spent a good day installing a horn.

On the bright side... just think of how much money you saved today alone... 9:30 - 2:30 = 5 hours @$70 hour at dealership. Wow... $350... you can buy more accessories/mods!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 08/05/07 at 19:34:19

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
It would have to be a silent movie due to the variations of bad words being shouted.  And did I mention it was a little warm today? It was NOT a pretty sight.  Lips Sealed

sounds like a prono, a hot woman talking dirty!

WWW   IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 08/05/07 at 21:18:39

I see this post/question alot, had my bike serviced at a shop so they did it for me, but why does it seem people are having problems with this on their bikes?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 08/05/07 at 22:18:46

Most of the posts are from newbys who are unsure of themselves.  And don't have a lot of experience twisting wrenches.  If you know which way to loosen a bolt, upside down and backwards then this is easy.  I used to twist wrenches quite often, then all the cars I had were electronic and a mystery so I stopped.  Now I have this bike which for the most part is exactly like my old vdubs.  I'm back in my element.  I can remove a bolt from the backside and know which way to turn.  Most newbys just need a little reasurance.  The second time they do it, they're experts and will help you out.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #43 - 08/06/07 at 13:01:11

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Most of the posts are from newbys who are unsure of themselves.  And don't have a lot of experience twisting wrenches.  If you know which way to loosen a bolt, upside down and backwards then this is easy.   Most newbys just need a little reasurance.  The second time they do it, they're experts and will help you out.   Grin

Thank you Big V - that is exactly right.
Personally I was unsure of the procedure because I had never done that before. I kept asking myself "what am I doing wrong? Why is this so HARD?"

Well, with the support (almost HOURLY) from the forum here, I was able to work through it with plenty of experienced feedback and ideas of different ways to go about it.

End result is = ask me a question about an oil change on the Savage and I can TELL you all about it from first hand experience!  Grin

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #44 - 08/06/07 at 14:54:37

Congratulations on your oil change victory!.  Someone had obviously tighetened bolts and allen head scrws way too tight.  There is a certain feeling that comes with experience that lets you know the bolt/screw is "just right".  Tighten the bolt up snug, and then give it just a bit more torque.  You will feel it in your hand when it is just right.  Now certainly torque settings are very important, but most of the time your hand will tell you when you are just about "right on".

Again, congrats on your success.
Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:36:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil change DONE!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.