Send Topic Print
Oil change DONE! (Read 22 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Oil change specs
Reply #15 - 08/04/07 at 12:29:15

ARRRGGG! I've spent WAY too much time trying to do this today, and have now blown my free time ride that I was going to do this afternoon.

I cannot get this nut off!!! Angry

And is this the correct one to remove? It does not look exactly like the one in the Clymers manual, and it is taking a 14mm instead of 17mm as stated elsewhere.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Oil change specs HELP!
Reply #16 - 08/04/07 at 12:44:01

As an added bonus, I cannot get any of my tools up under there with enough clearance to turn, so I ended up raising the back tire and kickstand onto some lumber.

Now that the whole thing is elevated, shaky and still annoyingly not working, does anyone have an idea how to get the dang nut off before I kick the whole bike over in frustration.  Angry

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Oil change NEED HELP!
Reply #17 - 08/04/07 at 14:57:31

I've been out there for another HOUR and I still cannot get it loose. Part is that I still am not getting enough clearance to really whack it.

I put WD40 on it, let it soak 40 minutes. Tried turning in both directions. No luck at all. Reminds me of the first time I tried to remove ANY screw on this bike. It's like Locktite central.

I also don't have a real 14mm wrench. I'm using my adjustable wrench. My socket wrench has no clearance due to the indentation.

How come everyone else had this one down easy??

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #18 - 08/04/07 at 15:14:11

Get a real 14mm box-end wrench. It will hold on a lot better than an adjustable or even an open-end wrench and it will fit up in there better. It should come off eventually. Be persistant. The older models had a 17mm, the newer ones are 14mm. And, I just checked to be sure, the bolt you show in your mirror is the right one.

Good luck.

Ken

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #19 - 08/04/07 at 15:47:46

If you get the correct wrench that would certainly help... as I recall, a little tap with a mallet/hammer helped persuade that puppy to loosen up. Adjustable wrenches are the pits... if you are serious about doing your own work, buy a set of good metrics... I think I picked up a set of Sears Craftsman (lifetime warranty) for about $20 on sale.

Be careful lifting up the back end... I don't care if these bikes are under 400 pounds, it can hurt if it falls on you.

PS I like your mirror!!!

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #20 - 08/04/07 at 16:32:30

I knew someone was going to comment about the mirror.  Smiley

Because I am pulling so hard on the wrench, the bike is actually moving back and forward, so I tied the bike to keep it upright.

I am going to the store now to buy a 14mm wrench.  Tongue

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #21 - 08/04/07 at 16:42:22

Oh, yeah, lefty-loosy, righty tighty. In other words, with the box end on the bolt rotate it counter-clockwise to loosen.

Ken

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 08/04/07 at 17:54:47

And this is one place I really love my swiveling ratchet wrenches.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #23 - 08/04/07 at 18:49:06

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
And this is one place I really love my swiveling ratchet wrenches.

Yeah I saw those when I went in to buy my wrench tonight.  They looked complicated, and were rather expensive.
I ended up with an 8 piece metric Craftsman set of the kind that hold on even if the bolt is starting to lose its edge, on clearance for $24. Thanks to PhotoProf for that tip!

I tried right/tight, left/loose and got zero in either direction. I put more WD40 on the nut. It is now full dark.  I am officially calling it a day.

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #24 - 08/04/07 at 18:54:42

Try tapping the bolt with a hammer (not too hard) while applying pressure with the wrench. You can also try tapping the wrench in the correct (counterclockwise) direction. Sometimes shock does what steady pressure will not.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 08/04/07 at 19:40:17

skat, try this...

put the front wheel on top of a brick or 4x4.
also put a brick under the kick stand same size.
you don't really need to do this if you have a skinny oil pan though.

from the front place the wrench on the bolt, and it should be high up as possible.

take the biggest wrench you have and interlock it with the 14mm, like one of those wire puzzles.  The box end will slip over one side of the open end.  Now you have one big wrench.  you bought craftsman so I know they can take it as I do it all the time.

push down on the front side and it should break it loose.  Of course, if you push down and the wrenches just swing about, you locked together the wrong way, try the other side of the open wrench.

WWW   IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #26 - 08/04/07 at 20:17:17

Once you get the wrench firmly onto the bolt, try tapping the wrench to the left (toward the front of the bike) with a rubber mallet or take a small piece of wood and hold it on the wrench while hitting it with a regular hammer. I think you are going to have a difficult time tapping the bolt directly... not enough room!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 08/04/07 at 21:03:01

PhotoProf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Once you get the wrench firmly onto the bolt, try tapping the wrench to the left (toward the front of the bike) with a rubber mallet

I think you need to rethink the direction for loosening of the drain bolt.  Of course I have a cold and on drugs, could be wrong?   But having done it just a few weeks ago using my interlocking wrenches, I'm positive I pushed down, maybe.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #28 - 08/05/07 at 10:18:35

If you can find some "oil of wintergreen" your problem will be solved.  It is the absolute BEST penetrating oil known to man.
Drugstores will haveit and a 2 or 3 oz. bottle will last a lifetime.
Just slop some on the bolt head and then wrap a piece of cloth over the bolt and put a few more drops on the cloth.  Let the whole thing set overnight and it will come off quite nicely.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #29 - 08/05/07 at 10:44:23

verslagen1 may be right now that I reflect on things. For some reason, it seems like you did go opposite of normal (loosey leftie) direction. Anyhow, if it doesn't loosen, go the other direction. I've had cases where I actually tighten just a little then tried loosening things with some success. You should get an idea of what is happening if you just lightly tap things... don't give it a big hit.

Oh... I know what threw me off... it was the mirror... everything is reversed. Just kidding.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:37:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil change DONE!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.