SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Changing Rear Brakes
Reply #15 - 10/17/07 at 19:30:32

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I wish I had some pic so I could illustrate what I'm talking about.

I will take some when I'm doing mine.
I had my daughter on the back yesterday, and discovered that my back brakes are pretty useless. They squealed like crazy and but hardly slowed us down at all.
I guess that squealing did mean they are bad. Oops.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #16 - 10/18/07 at 14:00:19

NDBiker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Do any of you know the type or number of brake shoes are used?  I'm wanting to get them online and I'm haveing dificulties finding what kind I should get.  Any help would be awsome.

64400-44810 I think they were $35 or so when I bought some last year.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #17 - 10/22/07 at 01:49:47

FrankieB wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Changed the front and rear brakes. The only thing that suprised me about the fronts (cause I'm a newbie) was that when you push the piston in brake fluid shoots out of the master cylinder (that was fun). Like the tech guide I had to use a pliers to push the piston down. I know they said if you can't do it by hand you should clean it, but besides wiping it off I didn't really know where to start with that.

The rear brakes were actually easy. The only annoying thing is the back wheel and keeping track of everything. I had a couple of friends hold everything in place while putting it back which made it a lot easier. YonuhAdisi, I believe I know now what you mean by "butteflying" the rear brakes in and it definately made it easier.

I think next time I have the wheels off I'll change the bearings. They're pretty cheap. I think all you have to do is replace the old ones with the new ones, right? Do you have to put grease on em?

Thanks for the help.

Shooting from the lip here without consulting the books or anything... This I know for certain: you definitely DO grease wheel bearings when installing them. And there is a special method of what is called "packing" the bearings by hand. You fill the palm of one hand with grease, and take the bearing and kind of scrape grease into the opening on the back side of the roller cage. After doing this a few times, grease will start to come out the race side of the bearing face. You have then "packed" grease through that part of the bearing. You continue this procedure all around the bearing until it is internally "packed" with grease all the way around.

Also, when you replace wheel bearings, it is common practice to replace the "race" that the face of the bearing runs on. The "race" is pressed into the hub, and may be pressed out, or knocked out from behind, with a metal bar and hammer. The the new race is pressed or hammered into the hub with a brass hammer or bar or dead-blow hammer in preparation for installing the new bearing. Some car or cycle applications require that you fill a cavity around the bearing with grease to insure that it never runs dry.

All the above is just general mechanic procedure, and if there is any question, always follow the manual for the specific vehicle as to exactly how to do the job.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #18 - 10/22/07 at 13:09:44

while it is fun to play in grease - and hand packing unsealed bearings is the peak of this - you can find a way to have grease frm you finger tips to your ear lobe -

but no such fun here as they are sealed - just knock the old ones out (easier said then done) and the new ones in - lube up the axle a bit -

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 10/22/07 at 15:28:49

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
while it is fun to play in grease - and hand packing unsealed bearings is the peak of this - you can find a way to have grease frm you finger tips to your ear lobe -

but no such fun here as they are sealed - just knock the old ones out (easier said then done) and the new ones in - lube up the axle a bit -

Yep.  Front wheels too.  

Seems they don't use open bearings that much anymore.  Less labor time probably.  Heck not long ago I did a brake job on our truck and as I was following the Haynes manual, I figured to repack the front wheel bearings as it recommended...guess that Haynes isn't quite up to date either.  Those bearings were sealed, too, and I didn't get to play in the grease Tongue

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #20 - 10/27/07 at 12:29:48

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yep.  Front wheels too.  

Seems they don't use open bearings that much anymore.  Less labor time probably.  Heck not long ago I did a brake job on our truck and as I was following the Haynes manual, I figured to repack the front wheel bearings as it recommended...guess that Haynes isn't quite up to date either.  Those bearings were sealed, too, and I didn't get to play in the grease Tongue

Dang, sealed bearings huh? Tires with no tubes in them. Batteries with no liquid in them... What will they think of next? Grin

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #21 - 10/27/07 at 12:37:49

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yep.  Front wheels too.  

They're my favorite, and given the chance, I'll buy a Haynes manual for anything I own. Too bad they don't publish one for the Savage.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 10/27/07 at 17:34:26

A friend of mine took different gauge needles & stuck grease zerks on them. He carefully works the needle past the edge of the seal on bearings in need of grease & squirts some in. I wouldnt hassle with it on the bike axle, but on some alternators, its worth trying.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #23 - 10/27/07 at 17:59:54

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
They're my favorite, and given the chance, I'll buy a Haynes manual for anything I own. Too bad they don't publish one for the Savage.

You know, when I was at Borders they said that they could order me a Haynes one for the Suzuki savage. I was about to when a mechanic told me not to get the Haynes one, but to see if I could find a Suzuki one. Better details he said.
I ended up with Clymer, go figure!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:30:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing Rear Brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.