Changing Rear Brakes (Read 23 times)
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Changing Rear Brakes
08/01/07 at 08:58:44

Hey guys, I saw a How To on changing the front brakes, and a picture break down of the rear wheel and brakes. However I couldn't find a How To on changing the rear brakes. Do you know if it's been posted?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Changing Rear Brakes
Reply #1 - 08/01/07 at 09:13:05

Its actually pretty easy, after you manage to get the rear wheel off, (which is the hardest part of the operation) the brake drum separates with no problem. The trick to installing the new shoes I have found is the put the springs on the shoes before you try to place the shoes in the hub.

You then "butterfly" them in by setting the shoes on their edges and carefully spread them apart until the seat into the hub.

I wish I had some pic so I could illustrate what I'm talking about.

I might be able to do something. I have an old rear wheel I may beable to demonstrate on. Unfortunately it will be a couple of days or more before I can get to it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Reply #2 - 08/01/07 at 09:30:41

Thanks a lot. I figured it would be pretty straight forward. There are just things that I didn't know about changing out parts (ex. when taking off the casing always replace the gasket, or put oil on certain parts if you put a new one in). Should I clean everything out? Etc. Can I get these brake pads at any local Auto Zone or bike shop?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #3 - 08/01/07 at 09:49:57

Yeah, you can get them at a bike shop. I got mine at my local Suzi stealership. They don't cost much. And is always a good idea to remove the brake dust that will be inside the hub. I used a can of compressed air and a rag. It would be a very good idea to wear a mask, while blowing out the dust, you don't want to inhale any of that stuff.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/01/07 at 18:28:43

A better idea is NO compressed air. Use a brush & dont get in a hurry. A mask is essential. A damp piece of tee shirt catches everything. A wet piece of tee shirt will about suffocate ya, damp is good. Its okay to look ridiculous when dealing with brake dust. Looking dead 15 years later wont make looking cool seem all that cool. If you can run a fan, set it to blow from Kinda sorta behind you, not directly behind, but back at an angle, toward the wheel & brake parts. That way, as much dust as can be sent away from you is being blown safely away. Recommend no children around.

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #5 - 08/07/07 at 14:06:47

I am thinking that I have to change the rear brakes on the beast. There is brake dust on the outside of the wheel rim near the brake panel and the bike seems to be dragging. Other then the brake cam is there anything more that I should order? I am hoping that this will take care of the dragging feeling. It feels like it is holding the rear wheel back. I unserstand that your suggestions would be speculation without actually seeing the wheel disassemled but I have no experince at all doing this and I am sure that between everyone here I maybe able to get some direction.

Thanks again,
~Strafford_Guy~

Added: anything more that folks could think of that may cause the rear wheel to feel as if it is dragging would be appreciated. The  belt tension is fine. If there is anymore information is needed I would be happy to tell you what you need to know.

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 08/07/07 at 15:12:21

Me, I use the car wash 5x.25 to hose the dust out of there before I pull the wheel - just need to ride the rear brake a little bit to dry it out - works pretty good - really not much in that rear drum to hold any thing back unless the shoes are drag'n - does your adjuster seem to be in a reasonable place?

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #7 - 08/07/07 at 15:34:50

Reelthing, the adjuster seems to be within spec. ( if you are refering to the mark on the brake lever and the panel) I am thinking (hoping) it is the rear brakes draggin but I really have no idea what more to look for that maybe causing it. When I got the bike there was about 10% pad left on the fronts. I have since replaced. I have no idea about the back.

added If you are refering to the drive belt adjusters then they seem to be pretty well set.

straffordguy   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 08/08/07 at 09:24:21

A tight drive belt wil make it feel like the brake is dragging. The shaft the cam turns in the brake hub could be binding and need cleaning and lubing with some high temp grease. Also a little (real little) dab of high temp grease on the cam to shoe contact points will help insure squeek free operation. Please be careful and not get any grease on the brake lining material. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 08/08/07 at 11:52:57

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
...... not get any grease on the brake lining.......

Now I bet that would make for some fun!

IP Logged
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Reply #10 - 08/08/07 at 13:07:39

Changed the front and rear brakes. The only thing that suprised me about the fronts (cause I'm a newbie) was that when you push the piston in brake fluid shoots out of the master cylinder (that was fun). Like the tech guide I had to use a pliers to push the piston down. I know they said if you can't do it by hand you should clean it, but besides wiping it off I didn't really know where to start with that.

The rear brakes were actually easy. The only annoying thing is the back wheel and keeping track of everything. I had a couple of friends hold everything in place while putting it back which made it a lot easier. YonuhAdisi, I believe I know now what you mean by "butteflying" the rear brakes in and it definately made it easier.

I think next time I have the wheels off I'll change the bearings. They're pretty cheap. I think all you have to do is replace the old ones with the new ones, right? Do you have to put grease on em?

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #11 - 08/08/07 at 13:16:52

Never replaced the wheel bearings so I don't know how easy of a swap it is. But I'm glad I was able to help you out with the brakes. Glad it worked out for you.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 08/08/07 at 13:35:16

FrankieB wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
was that when you push the piston in brake fluid shoots out of the master cylinder (that was fun). Like the tech guide I had to use a pliers to push the piston down. I know they said if you can't do it by hand you should clean it, but besides wiping it off I didn't really know where to start with that.

the deal on the piston is presure - you can do it most likely with your hands you just need to keep the pressure on there for a couple minutes as it goes back slow - if push it in too fast - well splash!

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #13 - 08/08/07 at 19:00:26

"The shaft the cam turns in the brake hub could be binding and need cleaning and lubing with some high temp grease"

Thanks Max I will take a look. and to all that gave suggestions.

straffordguy   IP Logged
NDBiker

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 10/17/07 at 19:24:45

Do any of you know the type or number of brake shoes are used?  I'm wanting to get them online and I'm haveing dificulties finding what kind I should get.  Any help would be awsome.

My motorcycle gets better gas mileage than your hybrid.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 18:22:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing Rear Brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.