Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
the inside of the engine - Photo (Read 80 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: the inside of the engine - Photo
Reply #15 - 08/02/07 at 12:36:55

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Yes there are pictures of the inside ( made them myself)
Second: when the engine is on it's LH side, tap the shafts with a non-malet hammer to keep them in the LH crankcase half, no problem at all.

Mia Culpa Mr. van der xxxxx After looking again I did find internal engine and transmission pictures. Decent quality too!

In all my years of motorcycle riding and tinkering, I have successfully avoided having to crack open the cases on any bike (thankfully). But I have had other assemblies apart that required holding many things in alignment while putting the cover of case back together, and sometimes it can be very frustrating. I just wondered how bad the Savage crankcase was.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #16 - 08/06/07 at 07:29:23

It lives!!!

Friday (8/3)- gaskets came!!!, assembly started.   Piston & cylinder on , didn't get the head on.  11 PM and tired, was up as 5 AM, so starting to make "oop's".
Sat (8/4) - Head on, valves set, clutch reinstalled.  Mounted engine in bike (heavy!!!  Had duct tape on frame to prevent scratches, but it got scratched anyway).    Oil in, hook up battery to crank it over w/o spark plug in (no load).  No funny noises, Yea!!!.  Check oil to head by loosing the bolt that has the oil passage. NO OIL, D--M!.  Take bolt all the way out, try again - squirt - right in the face - safety glasses an oily mess.   Put all the trim on the engine.  9 pm, sit back, have a beer and admire the bike.
Sun (8/5) - (started after lunch) Exhaust cleaned and mounted, Carb mounted.  Wired a tach while I had the gas tank off.   Mount tank & install a temporary clear tube as petc-ck vacuum line to watch for gas.   5:30 pm, it fires alive!!!

Short trip around the block (could walk home if something goes wrong).  No problems, no leaks , Yea!!! Short trip to gas station and back.  Realize I still  have shorts and sneakers on because of the 92 degree heat.  Change to riding clothes.  

18 miles later, the rain starts....helps wash the bugs off the teeth (How do you tell a happy motorcycleist??).

« Last Edit: 01/20/08 at 11:46:53 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #17 - 08/06/07 at 10:08:22

Congrats! 8) Long live your Savage!!! Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home