Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Saddlebags  Size? (Read 31 times)
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Saddlebags  Size?
07/30/07 at 14:59:25

Can anyone tell me the size of saddlebags that fit the Savage? I am trying price out a set of leather bags but I am not sure of the dimensions that would fit the bike properly.
Thanks, ~ Strafford_Guy~

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Saddlebags  Size?
Reply #1 - 07/30/07 at 15:19:29

something that is about 11 or 12 inches from front to back and about the same height. If you want to put bigger ones on then you'll likely have to move your turn signals back some.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #2 - 07/30/07 at 15:40:59

Hey Al. Thanks. I am looking at some on graigslist but there are no pics listed. @mailed the seller and got the reply that they are one foot wide at the top and they they made be made by travelguide. One foot wide is a large bag isnt it? Did not send any other demensions. I could not find any bags made by travel guide doing a search. Bags are in Manchester, just sent another email asking for the length,height and
width. may take a ride over and take a look.
~Strafford_Guy~

straffordguy   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #3 - 07/30/07 at 16:38:30

My bags are 12" tall 11" wide and 3" deep. they are about the best size for the bike, IMHO.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #4 - 07/30/07 at 16:42:30

Thanks Brewbrother. I am waiting on a reply from the owner of the bags with the dimensions now. Good price if the size is right. I really need the bags. I was not a big fan of them at first, but I don't see how I can do without them. My Pokets are only so big.  Grin

straffordguy   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 07/30/07 at 16:57:29

Strafford_Guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Thanks Brewbrother. I am waiting on a reply from the owner of the bags with the dimensions now. Good price if the size is right. I really need the bags. I was not a big fan of them at first, but I don't see how I can do without them. My Pokets are only so big.  Grin

I bought my last set on ebay for 10 bucks.  

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 07/30/07 at 17:42:39

Try to get slanted bags if possible, they fit behind the shocks and look better IMHO Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #7 - 07/30/07 at 18:36:46

Brewbrother, Sure can't beat $10.00
Ed_L., I like the slanted bags myself. they do look nice but I have to get whatever I can afford at this point. This person wants 30.00 for a set of leather bags. Still waiting to here bag about the size. Not located to far from me so I may just have to take a ride  tomorrow if nothing becomes of it at least I have a reason to take a ride.  Grin

straffordguy   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #8 - 07/30/07 at 19:05:02

here's a set of slant bags that will fit and the price isn't too bad.
http://www.motorcycleonlinestore.com/inc/sdetail/8163

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #9 - 07/30/07 at 22:27:33

Do you need to install some brackets too?

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #10 - 07/30/07 at 23:28:18

Al thanks for the link to the bags. They do look sharp.

Savage = HD eater - That would depend on the bags. I have the suzuki supports on the bike. They came with it when I bought the bike so I should be all set in any case

~Strafford_Guy~

straffordguy   IP Logged
GaryF
YaBB Newbies

'04 Savage on Oregon
Coast

Oregon South Coast
Reply #11 - 07/31/07 at 08:14:31

While this isn't really about what size bags will fit, I am wondering if anyone has experience or suggestions on what works best to fasten the bags to the bike-- can't imagine just throwing them over the pillon and having them stay during the ride.  Have the suzuki "brackets" which really only space the sides of the bags out away from the wheel/ belt guard.  Want to be able to remove reasonably easily so sandwiching them under the pillon seat (as well as trying to deal with the electrical stuff now residing under the seat) doesn't make the idea of removing the pillon seat and sandwiching the bags  between the fender & seat too attractive.  Any suggestions??

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/31/07 at 08:32:47

These are the ones I have:

http://www.buywillieandmax.com/pd_sb707s.cfm

The middle strap goes under the pillion and fits right between the rectifier and the bracker for the pillion.
The bags unzip from the middle strap, so the strap can stay there.  You can see the zipper here:

http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007/06/19/bikepics-936448-800.jpg

To keep it from "flapping in the breeze", I took velcro and put the hook side on the back of the saddle bag right where the support goes across the bag.
The loop side goes over the bar and attaches to the hook side.  Hard to describe..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #13 - 07/31/07 at 17:36:41

Just got the reply on the size of the bags:

side to side 1 ft
top to bottom 1ft
about and about 4in wide

Was told they came off of a 1993 kawasaki vulcan 1500cc . I think that maybe what is throwing me off. They were either small on the Vulcan or will be large on the Savage?

What do you think? Opions welcome. I think the size may be ok

straffordguy   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #14 - 08/01/07 at 07:13:04

GaryF wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
While this isn't really about what size bags will fit, I am wondering if anyone has experience or suggestions on what works best to fasten the bags to the bike-- can't imagine just throwing them over the pillon and having them stay during the ride.  Want to be able to remove reasonably easily.  Any suggestions??

I put my saddlebags OVER the pillion seats (and I quote from another forum member, "I never ride with a pillion - the screaming is distracting").

With the bag flaps on TOP of the pillion seat, I shortened the distance as far as the adjustment allows, making them as high from the ground as possible.  

Then I added 2 straps, one for each bag, that have plastic buckle type lock-snaps. The nylon straps attach (tied on) to the rear turn signal light in back, and the shock top connection in front right where it meets the fender.

The flap of the saddlebag is OVER the nylon strap, and buckles in place, thus securing it even further.

Bag removal is literally a snap - with the leather saddlebag buckles undone, unsnap the nylon strap, lift the bags off. Never had them go flying anywhere, not even when I dropped the bike earlier this year.

The straps can be adjusted to hold the bags really tight, and buckled back together and tightened to ride without bags.

If I have the bags on for extended periods or long rides, I take the extra leather thong that is on the bag adjustment area and tie it down on whatever part of the bike is handy - usually the turn signals, sometimes to that little panic strap on the seat itself.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:32:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebags  Size?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.