Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got The Drive Pulley Blues! (Read 22 times)
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Got The Drive Pulley Blues!
07/30/07 at 13:30:28

Got my new Maxxis Classic Tires and EBC brakes front and back from Biker Bandit.  Around $218 total.
Check around stealerships for mounting and balancing. I was going to do brakes myself. Cheapest was $45 a wheel if wheel off the bike, so I stay up at night and pull my wheels. When I pick up my wheels the guy says I should have my wheel bearings done. How much is that I ask. $75 bucks a wheel plus bearings total $225. I says I'll think about it, Shopped around and got them done for $148. Then I spent a few days trying to polish  wheels and spacers and stuff. Took frickin forever, I'll save spokes for winter down time as it was just taking too long. So I start putting all my stuff back together and am feeling really psyched because the bike is gonna look awesome with the new tires and stuff, when I was putting the drive belt back on and spun the rear tire a little, I heard a noise coming from the front pulley. I had a sick feeling in my stomach, and sure enough the pulley was loose and totallly bunged. I had replaced my belt about 3000 miles ago. I had torqued that sucker down to 80 pounds and the lock nut was bent over but apparently not enough as it had backed out. I'm definitely slapping myself for not checking more thouroughly. The wife who had been riding on the back said she thought she heard some noise but I never did. The driveshaft looks questionable as it is bunged some also, I won't know if it will hold up until I get a new pulley. My question is, do you think a new pulley and maybe some judicious use of a tube of Liquid Metal, that it all might hold together and not slop around. I can't even think of what it might cost me to have the driveshaft replaced. It's not something I really want to tackle.  Unless no real special tools are required and some of you think it's easy.

BikerBandit:
Drive Pulley
Oil Seal  (needed replacing anyway as it was seeping oil).
O-ring
Locknut
$101
This I can do. I'm ordering the parts today.

Driveshaft
$93
replacement
Labor? No idea.

I'm bumming now as the bike has been down for a week already and now this. Stupid #$%^& goldang son of a blankety heck!

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Got The Drive Pulley Blues!
Reply #1 - 07/30/07 at 21:06:12

Find a new shop - this is why ...
Wheel bearings are generic - I routinely pay $5-10 for one, neck bearings are called taper bearings and they run 15 or so each, recently swapped out swingarm bearings. Needle bearings - $8+5 shipping and inner race was $8 and 5 shipping.  I dropped a GS500 race in there.
To install any of those, I'll charge a 6 pack of decent brew. Removal is 5 beers, installing is the 6th.
The swingarm beairngs are the hardest to get out and hardest to install, neck and wheel bearings just need a good punch and a good hammer.
Pulley if the spline is OK reuse it. The transmission drive stub shaft will more than likely be fine. Its hardended steel.
Oil seals are also generic items, and dont cost more than $2-5.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 07/30/07 at 23:31:35

h3ll I'm confused - had a lose front pulley my self that ate it self - around $50 for a new one - dinged the output shaft a little but not much - look here -

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
Carl
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Larnaca, Cyprus
Reply #3 - 07/31/07 at 01:05:31

Hi
I have just had the same problem and Fitted the new pulley with Plastic Steel, Provided that the Pulley is not too loose and wobbling about on the shaft, it should be OK. I have done 3000 Miles on mine since replacing the pulley and checked it last weekend when it was all OK

Regards
Carl

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 07/31/07 at 05:11:56

Guess I should take a peek at mine soon.  I haven't heard any noise but checking should be pretty straightforward and worth the small effort.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 07/31/07 at 05:35:12

clue seems to be it makes more noise when you let off the throttle going slow - just rolling

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 07/31/07 at 11:04:56

Carl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hi
I have just had the same problem and Fitted the new pulley with Plastic Steel, Provided that the Pulley is not too loose and wobbling about on the shaft, it should be OK. I have done 3000 Miles on mine since replacing the pulley and checked it last weekend when it was all OK

Regards
Carl

This is encouraging, as I'm hoping Liquid Steel or Plastic Steel will help alleviate any deformity of the splines on the driveshaft. This painful lesson just proves that if you're going to do you're own mechanical work, try to be more thourough and methodical as any good shop should be. Which means check the torque on the nuts and bolts occasionally.
I mean me of course , not anybody here that may have suffered a similar problem.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 08/13/07 at 08:16:41

Well my repair did not hold up. The new sprocket started rattling after a 30 mile ride. I retorqued it down again but the nut keeps ratcheting loose after a few miles. The liquid steel just turned to powder. It appears I'm due for a new driveshaft. Does anybody here know what's involved and how much I should expect to pay for the repair? The driveshaft itself lists for about $93 on BikeBandit.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 08/13/07 at 10:02:06

Well that just sucks... It ain't pretty, that's for sure. That job is going to be expensive on several accounts: The labor is very high; because it is a total engine and transmission remove; teardown, with crankcase split, rebuild what needs it, and re-install engine/trans. That's bad enough, but as you found with the wheel bearings, any time you are that far into something, you need to do everything you can while you have it torn down.

Every other gear, bearing, shim etc... etc... needs inspection for R&R. You sure don't want to pay the labor to go into it twice because of some $5 bushing that wasn't replaced the first time. And all those little $5-$10 seals and bushing start to add up. You need to search around for a local independent shop with a good reputation. They might be able to make the cost bearable. Any authorized dealer is going to break it off in you on this kind of job.

Otherwise, your options are to DIY if you have the time, tools, ability and inclination. Or... find another engine/trans, Or... sell the bike whole, or part it out yourself. Sorry to be the bearer of such lousy news.

This is one continuous problem with low-end bikes, or cars, or boats... whatever. It only takes a repair representing a minor percentage of the vehicle's value to turn it into a parts donor vehicle. If it was a $15k Harley, or something else, there would be no doubt about doing thousands of dollars of work to get it back on the road.

IP Logged
Carl
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Larnaca, Cyprus
Reply #9 - 08/13/07 at 12:52:42

Thats Real Bad Luck, Did you Use Devcon A Plastic Steel which is the Original and Best or a Copy. Also Did you leave it at least 16-24 hours after Tightening to Set off
Correctly.

My Repair is still holdig up OK after 4000 Miles (I Checked on the weekend and it is OK)

Regards
Carl

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 08/14/07 at 08:00:18

Thanks for your replies. The pricing that I'm getting from dealers is for 8-13 hours labor at 75$ an hour. (yeesh!)  :'(. parts are going to be another $200. I'd be basically buying my bike all over again. I'm going to give it another shot with some other epoxy weld products before I give up. If that fails then maybe I might try to fix it myself over the winter. I just can't justify that kind of expense.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 08/14/07 at 10:48:16

Watch eBay and the Marketplace for another engine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 08/14/07 at 11:53:14

I have a drive pulley and drive shaft for a good deal.  If you are interested send me a PM.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 08/14/07 at 13:42:16

Don't forget to bend the locking washer so that the nut doesn't turn.  About $1 for the washer.

Item 39 on the parts micro fische.

39-1      WASHER (25X40X1.4)      1      
     09167-25019  (replaces 09167-25014)                         or
39-2      WASHER (25X40X1.4)      1      
     09167-25019            

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #14 - 08/15/07 at 09:57:49

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I have a drive pulley and drive shaft for a good deal.  If you are interested send me a PM.

Thanks Lancer for the offer, I'm going to try another product called J.B. Weld that looks a lot stronger than the Liquid Steel putty that I tried. If that doesn't work out, I may be talking to you. I just don't have any extra funds right now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:32:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got The Drive Pulley Blues!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.