Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
0.5 mm Over-sized Piston - Rejet?? (Read 22 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: 0.5 mm Over-sized Piston - Rejet??
Reply #15 - 08/18/07 at 14:30:58

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I didn't see any thoughts on this.  I don't know if everyone just thought it was a stupid question or if they were studiously avoiding the topic.  I mean, on a multi-cylinder engine it's less of an issue and it's virtually a non-issue as long as opposing cylinders are enlarged at the same time but I'm thinking the counterbalancer is designed with the stock displacement in mind.  While it may be that small increases in displacement won't make an appreciable difference, wouldn't it follow that the engine would become less stable the more you alter the displacement?

Wouldn't the only real concern be if the replacement piston is the same weight as the stock piston?

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #16 - 08/18/07 at 16:11:56

would counterblancing be concerned with weight (of the piston) or mass?  And functionally what would be the difference?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 08/18/07 at 18:19:14

I think so.  It is called a "counter-balancer", and that implies weight or mass is being compensated for.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 08/19/07 at 13:30:22

Maybe my emphasizing the word "displacement" was a poor choice in phrasing but I think the result is basically the same - a larger cylinder, with a larger piston inside it... and I'm thinking that most of the time a larger piston would have greater mass - assuming similar materials are used and it's shaped generally the same as the original.  So now back to my question.  Does this represent an appreciable difference in mass to which the issue of counterbalance should be addressed?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 08/19/07 at 15:07:56

The Wiseco pistons do not list the weight, but they are forged pistons.
The Sudco book lists a 100mm forged piston for the DR650 at 375 grams.
The piston from my engine is roughly 405-410 grams (the scale is not perfectly accurate and could easily be +/- 5% ), which is 35 grams, or about 7% +/-weight difference.  
That seems like a significant amount.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 08/19/07 at 20:51:01

First,  you could reduce weight by making a billet connecting rod.  Vertical moving weight would be less.  Would need some thinking on which alloy would be stong enough.

Second,  Went for a 40 mile ride yesterday, back rode and freeway driving ( found out they re-grooved about a mile of the expressway not too long ago (I-78).  Well, at the end of the trip about a half mile from home, it started to buck a little.  Got home and checked the spark plug.  Solid black.

Apart it comes again. .........

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 08/20/07 at 04:23:34

Will the larger but slightly lighter in weight piston really cause any problem?  I think it would be a better situation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:23:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 0.5 mm Over-sized Piston - Rejet??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.