Send Topic Print
Ooops (Read 61 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Ooops
07/29/07 at 13:00:33

Okay, I was heading home from work last night when the FireLizard suddenly died, I tried to crank it back up and heard an awful grinding noise, somehow though I managed to fire it back up anyway and rode home.

Well, I just took the case apart and found this. I am very surprised I made it home at all last night.

As you can see, one of the springs is in the crank gear and the other spring was found in the cover, and the tensioner is all the way out and seperated.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Re: Ooops
Reply #1 - 07/29/07 at 13:25:45

Upon further inspection, I can't even do the mod of adding a hole.

As you can see, the receaving end is all boogered up and won't be able to accept the plunger anymore. I think I really did a number on the FireLizard, what do ya'll think?

I am just very surprised I was able to ride home and get here with the engine still intact. As my wife just said, I made it home on a wing and a prayer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/29/07 at 13:27:47

Did you buy it new? Used? MIleage when purchsed? Did you have any reason to believe the bike was abused?
How do you ride? How many miles on it now? Any clues before it "all literally went to pieces"?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #3 - 07/29/07 at 13:51:33

Bought it used from a pawn shop, at the time had over 12000 miles on it, now has almost 14000 so yes I knew it was getting close to having to do something about the camchain. And yes, when I bought it it looked like it was fairly well abused, unfortunately I didn't have the money to go completely through it and that was before I found this site with everyones very good advice.

I ride moderately without hard acceleration unless I'm trying to avoid a moronic cager.

When I bout baught it I knew immediately that the PO had dumped it either several times, or once very badly.

Yes, there were a few clues that I stupidly ignored thinking it might be something else. (I have been having problems with fouling plugs left and right and thought it was my jetting, and I was putting off lowering the pilot jet back down, not so sure that was my problem now though.)

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #4 - 07/29/07 at 14:30:55

Total destruction in just 14,000 miles. Another data point.

I wonder if Suzuki is even aware of this?

Ken

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #5 - 07/29/07 at 14:38:18

Luckily it was only the tensioner that was destroyed, but while I have it down, I'm gonna go ahead and put new rings and bearings in it as well as a new camchain, tensioner, guides, and gasket set.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 07/29/07 at 15:19:29

Yep on rings and hone etc, but dont forget to do a 3 angle valve job on the valves and seats.
If the cam chain has cut a trench in the case, make sure you fill with weld and get the thing ground smooth and flush and oil up and what not before you start it.
Mine was the same way, dont worry, it will live again.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #7 - 07/29/07 at 15:36:45

Not a total loss, thank goodness.  It is rebuildable whether you want to do it, or pay a shop to.

On a good note, you'll know then engine is completely up to snuff when you're done...

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #8 - 07/29/07 at 15:38:47

Very true, and I will be doing the work myself, I just have to save up the money to get the parts. Until then, my wife will be driving me back and forth to work.

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #9 - 07/29/07 at 15:57:57

justin_o_guy asked:
Any clues before it "all literally went to pieces"?

Other then possible hearing the chain rattle what other signs should or could have made someone aware of this situation? I have a little over 10K on the bike, just adjusted the valves (intake was at 5 and exhust was set to 6) both now at 4. Plug looked great. Just wanted to know what I should watch for should the tensioner decide to go south. Hopefully it wont happen for a while. Bike was well taken care of from what I can tell. Thanks again.

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #10 - 07/29/07 at 16:30:56

Strafford_Guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
justin_o_guy asked:
Any clues before it "all literally went to pieces"?

Other then possible hearing the chain rattle what other signs should or could have made someone aware of this situation? I have a little over 10K on the bike, just adjusted the valves (intake was at 5 and exhust was set to 6) both now at 4. Plug looked great. Just wanted to know what I should watch for should the tensioner decide to go south. Hopefully it wont happen for a while. Bike was well taken care of from what I can tell. Thanks again.

Let me see if I can think of anything that would have been tell tale.

I was idling crappy, it would go up and down and almost die. Had to keep some throttle open to keep it idling. Was starting to make some noise in the crankcase, like the chain was loose and slapping around, chugging when I tried to accelerate almost as if I were running low on fuel. (had a full tank so I know I wasn't low on gas, and petc0ck and all lines are good).

When I shutdown the engine it was make a mechanical sounding pop, like to pieces of metal hitting each other. This also came from the right side of the crankcase where the camchain is located.  

I guess with all of these clues I should have something was up, but like I said in an earlier post, I have also been fouling out plugs left and right so I thought my jetting was too rich. Now I'm not so sure, it could have been that the valves were opening wrong because of loose camchain and letting in more fuel at wrong times.

Thats pretty much all I can think of at the moment that if I were paying attention I should have known what was up. But live and learn from the experiance I reckon. Then pass on the knowledge so nobody else winds up in the same situation.

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #11 - 07/29/07 at 18:17:44

YonuhAdisi, I am sorry for your misfortune and wanted to thank you sharing the warning signs. I try to gather all the information I can about this bike so I can know what to look out for.
Thanks again Strafford_Guy

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #12 - 07/29/07 at 20:58:03

Anything to help. I do believe that is why this board was created, not just to chat with other Savage/S40 owners but to share ideas such.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 07/29/07 at 21:25:15

Can we cut 1 link off on the back side of the cam chain. Would it work ??? is it possible ??? wear isnlt the problem. Travel before it clocks the opposite part is the problem.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 07/30/07 at 06:56:59

The chain is continuous, so to cut it you'd have to have a replacement pin and know how to set it in place.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  This is why I put a pin and slot in mine.  Those noises eminating from the right side are your only clue.  The other symptoms maybe not related or may not occur every time.  At least I didn't notice them.  

I've seen some wear patterns that indicate just before it lets go, the adjuster and guide flop around quite a bit.  Enough to create a 1/2" arc on the back side of the adjuster.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:23:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ooops

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.