Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: drilled brake rotor
Reply #15 - 09/18/07 at 07:40:18

Just bought a new fancy brake rotor

http://www.ls650.eu/forum/index.php?topic=4305.90

Scroll down 5 items and press on the small picture

This rotor is made in Finland and I aquired it via the German forum for, and this is NO joke, 40 Euros including shipping from Germany.

If your interested, contact Peter the blacksmitsh, somewere on this forum, I believe he posted recently on the topic "larger tank".

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #16 - 09/18/07 at 14:05:27

Hmm...I've got access to a drill press and some Ti bits, don't see any reason I can't do my own.  Thoughts?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 09/18/07 at 14:37:45

I don't see why you couldn't drill it yourself.

You could easily place 2 holes directly opposite each on the disk the same distance from the center to keep the disk balanced.

I think 3 or 4 pairs of holes would do what I want to do with them.  Which is keep the pad clean.

WWW   IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #18 - 09/18/07 at 21:52:34

I`ve drilled some before..... on my old Yam, and it had nice stainless discs. It`s not a big deal and it really helps define the art of stopping. It doesn`t matter which direction you go as long as the swept area is covered, meaning the area of the brake pad is all gonna hit some hole.

Ugh, you want the holes to overlap patternwise, so you don`t have any area on the disc that will streak. Sort of overlapping circles maybe 1/3 overlap or less, like you know how pool balls rack? But spead way out, of course.  You don`t need a lot of holes, and you shouldn`t bevel them very much at all, just break the edges, a minor kiss is good.

I use cobalt bits as the Ti ones are just plated and it`ll come off. Carbide is better but way more costly. Use PLENTY of  coolant and I used 3/8 bits but you can use anything over a 1/4 is cool. Best to clamp the disc down while you are at it to avoid accidents and stuck bits. I just layed out a pattern with dividers  right on the wheel. You could do it on paper, glue it and punch. A drill press is good-but use what you have. You may have to resharpen the bits as you go along.

Oh yea, I think Suzi`s disc is Cad plated or something-you don`t want to breathe that stuff so keep it real cool, and or wear a mask or get down wind.

Sounds harder to do than it is, more time consuming than tricky.....but really, I think this Suzi`s front disc is pretty good at stopping as is, so I ain`t gonna bother.

Bill

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:43:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drilled brake rotor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.