Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I want a more "Savage" exhaust (Read 16 times)
lkquilt
Ex Member

I want a more "Savage" exhaust
07/28/07 at 06:41:42

Hi all,
I found this forum yesterday, I think it's great that all of you have the same bike as me!  I found a mint 2001 in storage with 500 miles on it.  Lucky me!  I tried to put the picture on but it didn't work.  But it's on bikepics.com!
ANYWAY, I read all about your different exhausts, tweakings, jetting.......I was going to get the Jardine slip-ons but someone here said the chrome was junkie.
This will have to be done by my mechanic, so what can I have done that will look and sound good and won't take a long time for them to do at $65 an hour??
Thanks!
Laurie

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Re: I want a more "Savage" exhaust
Reply #1 - 07/28/07 at 07:50:56

Ya don't need no stinkin' mekanik,
Save the money and do it yourself, lot's of instructions on here and plenty help from experienced Savages.
The best most inexpensive route is a HD Dyna muffler,  Low cost, looks good, sounds great and bolts right on.
have fun

Ike
Grin

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 07/28/07 at 08:53:23

If you must use a mechanic/dealer, use the slip on brand that they will sell you so that they can get all the parts they need for assembly and you don't have to deal with that... (you will likely find that they only sell the Jardine, but I've seen a new Supertrapp as well).

IF you are paying a mechanic in a local garage you can buy whatever slip on you want that will fit, even if it needs modification encouragement to fit, like a HD conversion (mentioned earlier) or an off brand product like MAC or something you can get at JCWhitney.

You will pay more than the prices I will list at a dealer, but if you have to buy your own to take to a local mechanic or try to do yourself, you should look for deals like these (I'm not recommending this online retailer per-se, just using them for an example, I often use e-bay or Ron Ayersor Bike Banditetc., myself)

Supertrapp link  $219.56
Jardine link $169.96
MAC Exhaust link $92.61 (this one is listed for older savages but it will fit all savages and the S40 too)
JCWhitney Exhaust Options link (all of these will require extensive mechanicial knowhow to install since they are NOT specifically made for the Savage mounting brackets)

I use a Jardine myself, I like it, but it did turn blue and is impossible to keep really shiny if you want showroom chrome... But I like it for everyday driving and a performance boost with deeper sound/rumble (also, I’ve had some trouble keeping it’s connection to the header well sealed as well, the disk provided with the Jardine melted to nothing and I had to experiment to find something else that would fully seal that connection [short of welding it]) .  

Additionally and VERY IMPORTANT: whichever exhaust you choose, putting it on yourself or having a mechanic or dealer do it, you MUST rejet your carb at the same time (a bigger main jet at the very least) and retune the air mixture screw because the new exhaust will change the back pressure from the stock configuration and your bike will not run well if you don't do the re-jet at the same time you put on your new savage exhaust.

Good Luck, Have Fun, and Welcome to SuzukiSavage!  Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 07/28/07 at 09:05:33

Let me second theikeman -- the Savage is put together quite simply and straightforward.  Swapping a muffler is a matter of loosening a couple of bolts, removing a few more, putting them back.  All easily accessable.  10 minutes if you know what you're doing.  Only took me an hour or so.

PLUS!

Carrying a set of tools and knowing how to use them, knowing a little how the bike works, means if something breaks on a trip you have a good chance to making a repair and riding on.

PLUS!

You get to sneer at the RUBs on their Harley's who always have to take their bikes to their mechanic.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 07/28/07 at 12:03:11

lkquilt wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hi all,
I found this forum yesterday, I think it's great that all of you have the same bike as me!  I found a mint 2001 in storage with 500 miles on it.  Lucky me!  I tried to put the picture on but it didn't work.  But it's on bikepics.com!
ANYWAY, I read all about your different exhausts, tweakings, jetting.......I was going to get the Jardine slip-ons but someone here said the chrome was junkie.
This will have to be done by my mechanic, so what can I have done that will look and sound good and won't take a long time for them to do at $65 an hour??
Thanks!
Laurie

I have a Jardine slip on and I haven't had any problems with the chrome, no blueing, or anything.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #5 - 07/28/07 at 12:52:23

Re: from above
Additionally and VERY IMPORTANT: whichever exhaust you choose, putting it on yourself or having a mechanic or dealer do it, you MUST rejet your carb at the same time (a bigger main jet at the very least) and retune the air mixture screw because the new exhaust will change the back pressure from the stock configuration and your bike will not run well if you don't do the re-jet at the same time you put on your new savage exhaust.
----------------------------------------------------------------
If you install a unmodified dyna muffler and you are running the stock air filter, you will not need to rejet your carb as the dyna provides more than enough back pressure. I know, 'cause I've done it.
For more performance, yes, loose the stock airfilter and have the carb rejetted, do the white spacer thingy and rock on!
Just my 2 pfennig
Ike  Grin

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/28/07 at 12:54:48

The exception being the supertrapp, as it can be tuned for stock jetting.  But I guess that goes with any exhaust specifically made for the savage.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #7 - 07/28/07 at 13:03:33

I went the SuperTrapp route using 8 Discs and some slight mods to the carb.  It is a fantastic muffler - great sount and a ton 0f oerformance.

Jack H.

P.S. Sorry, but I have to chuckle at the 10 minute time frame for getting the old muffler off.  It took me longer than that to get the right foot peg bolts out.

JH

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #8 - 07/28/07 at 13:11:39

Methinks 10 minutes would be using Power Tools, like an air powered impact wrench, yes? Plus I think Paladin was making a joke ...
Ike  Grin

IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/28/07 at 14:22:30

thats all really helpfull, i was looking for a better exuast/muffler for my savage cuz i want her to be louder. thanks all.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 07/28/07 at 15:32:45

theikeman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Methinks 10 minutes would be using Power Tools, like an air powered impact wrench, yes? Plus I think Paladin was making a joke ...
Ike  Grin

People have cited 2-4 hours for doing the stupid little leaky head plug...  took me four days overall.  Last day to take the tank back off to hook up the speedometer.

And I did use my air impact wrench for the plug fix -- on the philips screws for the decompression thing and with a short piece of 3/4" x 1/8" steel rod slipped into a socket for the cover over the crankshaft turning nut thing.

But I did my MAC in, hard to remember it being so long ago, but probably an hour.  So  I would guess a mechanical minded person would be a quarter of that.  All I really remember is that it was a lot easier than I expected.

WWW   IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #11 - 07/28/07 at 17:56:45

While we are on the subject does anyone have a pic of the Supertrapp on an S40/savage.

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/28/07 at 19:05:23

WWW   IP Logged
lkquilt
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/28/07 at 19:18:32

Well, thanks everyone for all your help and knowledge.  I was so bummed out when I called (don't laugh) J&P cycles and they didn't have any pipes to fit my bike.  I am so happy I found you all!  Kiss

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 07/28/07 at 22:03:31

Regarding going through JC Whitney, Shadetree Powersports or similar... The parts are cheap Taiwanese. The chrome is awful, the fit is awful. The packing doesn't last very long...

So of course, I bought my 12 inch glaspack and 29 inch fishtail tip that route.  Grin Wire feed welder and a can of stove paint later...

An older Japanese gentleman who runs a local cigarette depot was absolutely in lust with the bike this afternoon...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:27:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I want a more "Savage" exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!