Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stock Risers with drag bar (Read 86 times)
pollpegj
Ex Member

Stock Risers with drag bar
07/27/07 at 13:37:07

Well I just bought a Savage and I already want to modify it. I really like the look and feel of drag bars but hate the look of tall risers. Could I use the stock buckhorn risers with a drag bar. If so what length drag bar.  

Pictures Please

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Stock Risers with drag bar
Reply #1 - 07/27/07 at 14:10:01

You could but you will hit the tank maybe not the bar but something.  They might clear if you turn them down like clip-ons.

I had low rise HD style bars and they just barely cleared if I rerouted the throttle cable.

I'm 6' and found the drag bars on the high risers just a little too narrow.  Cause it puts the mirrors so I couldn't see behind me.  and the HD bars on the low risers were too low.  Caused me put more weight on my hands and made my hands go numb.

WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 07/27/07 at 16:28:15

all you need are some hollow pipe (1/2" i think is what i used) cut to desired length and some longer bolts, all these things can be found at ACE for like 5 bucks.

IP Logged
pollpegj
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/27/07 at 16:47:57

Ill pass on the tubing method. Looking for something a little less homemade. So if I were to get drag bars with a small pull back what would the minimum size riser be for that application.

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #4 - 07/28/07 at 08:00:00

Check on ebay for Intruder risers, they'll fit and are usually on ebay in different lenghts. Depending on the look you want, start at no less than 4 inches to clear the tank.
have fun

Ike Grin

or ... check these out for only 30 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHOPPER-Z-BARS-6-INCH-COOL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQc...

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/28/07 at 10:16:55

theikeman,  
Those e-bay t-bars are 7/8".  They won't fit.  Savage takes 1" bars.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pollpegj
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/28/07 at 11:20:14

Im thinking a 3 inch riser and a 28 inch drag bar would look the best and fit the best.   Has anybody else tried this type of combo.

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #7 - 07/28/07 at 13:08:44

Woops.
Copied and pasted the wrong link and picture, has been corrected and they are 1 inch bars.
Ike Embarrassed

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 07/28/07 at 14:31:41

The stock Savage handlebar clamps (the ones for the buck-horn bars) can be risen a couple of inches with the addition of some deep-well sockets (19mm I think, maybe someone can clarify?) between the upper tree and the bar clamps ... and of course some longer bolts to hold it all together. This would give the drag bars and switchgear enough rise to clear the tank without going as high as the S40 bar clamps/risers ... cheap too!
A pal of mine put a set of standard H.D. Sportsters bars mtd. to the stock Savage clamps on his wife's '87 LS ... no clearance issuses and it's comfortable and steers better than the stock Savage buck-horn set up.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #9 - 07/28/07 at 15:20:29

Its possible to put a dragbar with some degres bend on it, all you have to do is to make some stoppers in aluminium and put them on the senterpiece at the bike to prevent the handlebar to hit the tank,
take a look at my bike, its 78 cm wide and I made the stoppers so that the handlebar have 5 mm space at both sides of the tank.
Tommorow I will take some pics of it and put up here.
Odar in Sweden

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
pollpegj
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/28/07 at 19:55:37

Thanks Odar that would be great. Odar if you were to use taller risers instead of using stoppers how big of ones would you need?

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 07/28/07 at 22:18:48

3"+ risers, or fork stops, one or the other or something on the drag bars will hit the tank. As for width, I prefer 32"+ with 20º-30º (3"-5") pullback. The narrow 24" bars just don't give me a good feel at lower speeds. Plus the wider bars are just cool. Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/28/07 at 22:29:06

And unless you've got really narrow shoulders, or really long extentions for your mirrors, all you're going to see is your shoulders.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #13 - 07/29/07 at 03:02:19

Here is some pics.
My bar was 82 cm when I bought it, I cut of 2 cm of eaght side, thougt it was to wide, now 78 cm perfect.
Had homemade raisers like aluminium tubes to stock handlebarholders 7cm, they worked without the stoppers but this looks better I think and I take the wind better as well.
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:27:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Risers with drag bar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!