Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Looking to buy my first S40/savage (Read 7 times)
msfitnetz
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

VA
Looking to buy my first S40/savage
07/27/07 at 03:52:03

Hi , I am new to site  which has been a wealth of information. I am considering buying this pictured 2005 S40, it has 3K on it. Lots of scratches on tank, seat, sides ( may have been dropped cannot confirm with owner but , he did state he bought bike to learn to ride.) I did some rust around small parts ( nothing extremely bad same as I saw on a brand NEW one at dealer) and he did not mention oil change or anything , he has had bike for 8 months. If easy or inexpensive I would consider doing myself.

My question is the rattle when started does the bikes normally rattle hard. I noticed when running the tank was shaking quite a bit AND the pipe looks like needs a cover?? I saw front fender was missing , he says he bought it that way. He is asking 2500 ( which is decent) . I just don't need major mechanical and don't know any trusted M/C mechanics in area.
Seller out of town until Monday so I have some time! If I dont locate another during weekend. In DC Metro/VA/MD area.
Thank You
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/974863/
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/974866/
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/974867/

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Looking to buy my first S40/savage
Reply #1 - 07/27/07 at 05:02:13

i like that custom pipe ,loud ? hi temp black paint would look great..oil change isnt hard check tech section,
"rattle hard" at start up not sure what you mean..
try movin the tank around (very little movement)with bike off to insure its mounted properly..btw  welcome and happy savage

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #2 - 07/27/07 at 05:10:46

Obviously with the straight pipe, there should have been some adjustment/modification with the carburetor... how does it run? Seems like it would be awfully load to boot!

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 07/27/07 at 05:12:53

The MC looks like it needs a new muffler/exhaust. Maybe the modification is a result of having been down hard on that side. Actually the MC looks like it's been down on both sides.

My guess is that little or no maintenance has been done on this MC so the rattle on start up may be a result of needing a valve adjustment or some other simple maintenance issue. Or it may need something serious. You'd have to get someone familiar with Savage internals to listen.

You didn't ask for opinions on the purchase, but if I were you, I'd be thinking about what I wanted this MC to do. If it was to learn to ride or to pass a rider's exam and then pass on in six months or ride a couple of weekends a year, this might be the right MC at the right price. Otherwise I'd think twice or three times. Abuse can catch up with a motorcycle in a few more thousand miles that this one has on it. The Savage is a great MC, and there are usually good examples around for sale and good prices.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 07/27/07 at 07:11:18

You need to have someone who knows bike mechanicals well to look this one over. Difficult to tell for sure from the pictures, but I think the fork tubes may be "tweaked" (bent).

And that homemade exhaust is needs further modification before I'd ride it. That pipe has gotta be loud! Whole thing is a big question mark until it has been checked over good. If the mileage is real, and low engine wear confirms it; and you are willing to put some $$$ into it, there may be good potential in it. But even considering the late model and supposedly low miles, it needs to be even cheaper due to its overall condition IMO. With the miles that are on it, new tires and a 5k maintenance is coming due soon, and then there's the missing front fender and turn signals to replace. Yup, paying someone else to do all those things cost money. Not trying to discourage you, but look into what it will cost to make it roadworthy before you drop money on it. 8)

Good luck!

John

IP Logged
msfitnetz
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

VA
Reply #5 - 07/27/07 at 08:26:19

Wow, thank you . I will see about a mechanic but I am keeping my eye for more of them. I have also put a down  payment on a new one But I cannot get delaer much below 4399 ( thier last one!) honeslty I think a woman /new rider thing when I shop. But I can be resourcesful.

Love this site for all the information.

And correct the M/C is very loud.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 07/27/07 at 08:47:37

Rattle could be something loose, but....    modified exhaust pipe means the MC will be running leaner, and rougher at idle if nothing was done to the carb (lots of vibrations to rattle stuff).

Did the owner say if the Carb was re-jetted for the exhaust change???  If not, the leaner running bike that was already lean to start with, will cause heat problems, like melted piston, burn valves, etc. etc.  

As for the front fender,  it looks nice without it, but I have a tendency to keep the fender on.  Around where I live they patch the roads by laying down tar and then fine stones.  In the summer, the stones start to come loose and fly up at you.  Sort of worse than having a bumble bee hit you.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
msfitnetz
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

VA
Reply #7 - 07/27/07 at 09:26:47

The owner did nothing to the M/c . He mentioend that the previous owner had it decked out like an OC Chopper. So my understanding was that no maintenace was doen at all sinc ehe aquired 8 months ago. Which was a little concerning but I am new to M/C  car ebut would guess like anything mechanical needs to be watched. It was loud!

IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 07/27/07 at 10:24:26

Hi,

I'm in northern VA.  If you do end up getting that bike or the new S40 and are looking for someone to ride with, let me know.  

Curious what dealer you have the down payment on the new one at?  If you want, send me an email.

Colleen

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #9 - 07/27/07 at 19:46:57

I think in the long run, if you plan on riding a lot or keeping the bike for a long time, I would buy the new one or try to find a MC that has had some tender loving care. To use a phrase in relationship to a horse.... this bike looks like it has been ridden hard and put away wet. In other words, probably not much maintenance.

IP Logged
glwharton
YaBB Newbies

I love My Suzie

Athens, Ohio
Reply #10 - 07/28/07 at 17:58:31

I agree with photoprof. Buy a new one, you'll be glad you did. I love my 2007 S40 !

wndshld,Grips and Rests,Gel Seat,Sissy Bar,Baron Tach,Hghwy Bar,HD Headlight,Saddlebags,HL and BL modulators,Clock,Super Brace,Buckhorn Handlebars,Carb upgrade,Screamin' Eagle muff,signal minder
  IP Logged
msfitnetz
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

VA
Reply #11 - 07/29/07 at 15:03:17

I really appreciate that . Test rode a nice 06 they want 3500 for with 2300 miles. Ugh I keep getting close to new but this was cherry one. Finally, the bike feel perfectly made for me so I feel I will buy one see how my finances look to get that new one. That is the top I can budget for.
This is an awesome sight!   Cheesy

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #12 - 07/29/07 at 18:41:39

I don't think you will be sorry even if you end up with the 06. It wouldn't surprise me if you ended up spending $500+ to get that first bike into some kind of decent condition. Don't end up throwing good money after bad. If you have a cherry condition bike with only 3500 miles, that would be a much better option IMO. Nothing takes the joy out of biking than to continually having to mess around with issues that take time and money.
Let us know what you end up with!

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #13 - 07/29/07 at 18:43:41

Oh.... I noticed it was $3500 and 2300 miles... even better!

IP Logged
msfitnetz
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

VA
Reply #14 - 08/04/07 at 19:22:17

Ok what is a fair price to pay for a new s40 (07)? I have 2 quotes but still seem high. My average OTD price is 4600. I looked at a brand new one today with a paint ding they only knocked $350 off to OTD it was 4600.  Any ideas so I can negotiate better?

Still looking at a couple of used but they are so spread out around here and I have other commitments on my free time which right now is weekends. i hate dealers only open on Sats!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:33:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking to buy my first S40/savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.