Rear brake switch (Read 3 times)
icochrane10
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

ireland
Rear brake switch
07/27/07 at 01:49:50

Hi guys,Really struggling with trying to put on new spring for rear brake light,the one between the cable and the switch cable,the holes are tiny and a job to find the right spring leangth,anyone got any ideas to make this easier,do you need to use a spring?or would something else work,any ideas gratefully received,Ian.
p.s.putting the savage on the road after a long layoff and finding this site a big help.I was a member of the old Bert Haise forum which was very helpfull but seems to have dissapeared which is a great pity as there was some great info on there as well,many thanks,Ian

IP Logged
Unicorn
YaBB Newbies

Timisoara, Romania
Re: Rear brake switch
Reply #1 - 07/27/07 at 02:28:36

Hy,

Theoretically, you could use any plain piece of wire, but because the brake lever has a greater movement range than the little switch has inside its plastic coverage, after an impulsive brake, you could end up braking that plastic switch. That's why the spring is intended to be there for, to avoid this situation.
  The right spring would be about 4-5 cm long (this can be ajusted with the brake switch itself), not so strong but also not so soft.
  I also haven't got the original spring on my Savage and I'm sure you could find one easily in a bike scrap yard or something like that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/27/07 at 02:52:52

I'll bet you a dollar I could swipe the spring out of a ball point pen & grab a paper clip & be on the road in less than 20 minutes, provided I had a pair of needlenose with small wirecutters. I would rather have 2 small needlenos for bending the wire & not hurting my finger, but I could make it with 1 I think. Might not last forever, but I bet I could get down the road a good ways before I had to do it again. May not use the whole spring, may have to double it to get the strength you need. But, its a spring.. easily available. Also, small springs can be bought at hardware stores & small wire to install is available lots of places. Electric fence wire is good for small applications. You need all of 2 inches, max. Wire from a flower shop would do that job.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 07/27/07 at 09:04:33

Radio shack, ACE hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, and others have lots of spring choices if you ask the right person. i take it you do not have the broken original for a sample.  If so the previous post is a great idea, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #4 - 07/27/07 at 20:00:17

If you're not in an extreme hurry, you can get the exact part from bikebandit online for just a couple dollars.  My brake light cable siezed up on my Marauder (it uses the exact same brake light switch and spring) and the previous owner just removed the spring and threw it away (no comment about that).  In the process, he broke the brake light switch plunger and so I had to replace the whole shebang to get it working again.  I bought the whole deal (cable, switch and spring) for less than $15.

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:30:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear brake switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.