Send Topic Print
bad charging system (Read 13 times)
Unicorn
YaBB Newbies

Timisoara, Romania
bad charging system
07/27/07 at 00:28:47

Hy,

I have a bad charging system on my '88 Savage and I would need a new stator.
 I found an original one for 300$, which is way too much for me now and then I found this one: http://www.shophondasuzukiofwarren.com/productdetail.htm?productId=4083067&sh... -> it is only 130$ and they say it fits. Do you think this would be ok ?

Thank you very much.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: bad charging system
Reply #1 - 07/27/07 at 07:23:17

Unicorn,
   First, we must assume that you have a good battery, (less than a few years old).  Next, stators are pretty robust.  The wires going to the sator are so-so.  But, the Rectifiers don't like heat and too much load (which causes heat).  If the retifier goes bad you won't charge.   If the stator is bad, I think the bike won't run once the battery drains to zero volts.  

FYI, Stators create AC voltage but Batteries are DC, the rectifier converts AC to DC.

If the bike runs when jump started, one way to do a fast test of rectifier is to get the bike running.  Then take a voltmeter to the battery.  Check DC votlage, then check AC voltage.  If you get zero of either type of voltage the Stator is bad OR more likely, you have a broken wire.  If you get voltage and the AC voltage is higher than the DC voltage, the rectifier is bad.
Now, please be aware that this is a fast test and does not replace putting the bike on a charging system analyzer.

T-Mack1

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 07/27/07 at 16:09:18

Make sure where is the problem. To check the stator is easy:
 pull the rear seat off.
 under the seat is the rectifier-regulator/the little silver thing with fins on it/
 there is a subharness with a black 3-prong connector, that goes out of the regulator and it is connected to  a subharness from the alternator. Disconnect the black connector.
 get yourself a multimeter and set it for  VAC and the setting should be 20VAC of above.
 Start the bike with the connector apart and check the voltage that comes  from the alternator. Check  the voltage between 1-2, 1-3, and 2-3 positions /all the possible combinations in 3-prong connector/. And make sure You check the side that comes from the main harness/not from the regulator/. You should be getting  above 12V AC. and when revving the engine the voltage should climb way up. If You have at 1200 RPM above 12VAC between any 2 positions, don't blame it on the stator.
If You have low voltage , contact me and I'll get You a good stator  below $100.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 07/28/07 at 22:35:00

Simple resistance test of the stator coil at the Molex wire connections at the regulator/rectifier will tell if the stator coil is the charging problem. I got my replacement from a Salvage outfit on eBay for $35.

If you are interested in a heavy duty one for adding accessories, there is a place in the UK that makes brand new ones for less than the factory:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/erol.html

Good luck! The stator remove and replace is another of those jobs that looks like one evening and takes a full day or two or three evenings.

Umm... That is taking into consideration that I work about half as fast as I did 30 years ago. Grin

IP Logged
Unicorn
YaBB Newbies

Timisoara, Romania
Reply #4 - 07/30/07 at 00:21:36

Thank you for your advices.

The history is like this: after I bought the bike, I found out that it didn't charged. I took it to a mechanic, he checked the wiring system and discovered that two of the stator coils were burned. He replaced it with one from another Savage and it looked like everything was ok (the rectifier seemed to be working fine). He then got the stator to someone who recoiled it and put it on the bike. It worked for about 2 days. I went back to him and he recoiled it the second time. It worked again for about 1 week. So, I think that maybe I need a new original one.

I will check today the wirings as you told me to see if the rectifier acts ok and if it does, it will be clear to me that the stator is really to blame.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/30/07 at 07:33:10

Sounds like it's an intermittant problem and you're lucky it didn't burn out the substitute.  Rectifiers can be had fairly cheaply, I'd replace it just cause I could.  But since it's only one or two coils it may be a hidden short somewhere.

WWW   IP Logged
Unicorn
YaBB Newbies

Timisoara, Romania
Reply #6 - 07/31/07 at 00:51:06

Well, yes verslagen1, it could be a hidden short somewhere and that's what I'm afraid of: that I'll buy a new stator and it will get burned also. The electrician that recoiled my stator says he checked all the wiring and everything seems to be ok.

Anyway, where could I buy this cheap rectifier from ? I would like a new one, not used...

Thank you.

IP Logged
Carl
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Larnaca, Cyprus
Reply #7 - 07/31/07 at 00:57:37

Before Fitting any further new parts I would suggest that you check the Bikes Wiring very Carefully, I Burned out 2 Batteries on my Savage before I found the Problem. The Bike was Running fine, and no Shorts could be find until I started Stripping the Bike, when I found the Wire from the Solenoid to the Starter was shorting out directly to the Engine and Killing the Batteries on Startup.
As Replacing Stator is Difficult I would Definately Check the Entire Wiring/Electrical System before Throwing away any more parts.

Regards
Carl

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bad charging system

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.