Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How many miles are too many (Read 11 times)
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

How many miles are too many
07/26/07 at 11:28:56

Hello,

I'm currently considering buying a used Savage and I have one question. How many miles are too many? In my limited exposure to this topic it seems 15k+ miles is an awful lot, equivalent to 150k+ on a car. I definately have seen a couple cases of bike owners who have upwards of 200k miles on their bikes, but this is few and far between. Besides any obvious problems, if a bike runs, looks, and rides well how many miles are too many?

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Re: How many miles are too many
Reply #1 - 07/26/07 at 12:31:27

Was the CAM chain checked?  Has it been replaced yet?  

If so, I wouldn't worry about 15k if the bike has had regular maintenance.  But I would knock two hundred dollars off my offering price for every thousand miles over 10K (everything else being equal).

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 07/26/07 at 13:44:00

I'd say - get a friend who knows these bikes. Other wise everybody can feed You the line that everything was just done.  Over 20 K on a Savage, You should be cautious.If properly maintained there should not be a problem to go about 40K without anything else exept regular maintenance. Over 35-40 K there will be some replacements if You want to keep riding without problems. Below 20K is very hard to wear major part over the limit even with bad maintenance /this doesnt't include lack of oil/.
Take a careful look and the exterior of the bike will tell You a lot about the owner.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 07/26/07 at 14:48:50

I couldn't believe it. Yesterday I saw a guy on a savage pull into the parking  lot next to my work. So I had to go over and chat for a few minutes. As it turns out, the guy just bought the bike a month ago. He hadn't riden a bike in over 20 years but heard about this bike and chacked it out. It is a 98 and it only had 600 miles on it. He snatched it right up for $2,000.00. Very nice bike. Practically new. I told him to check out this site.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/26/07 at 16:31:53

Nat, what kinda shape does the bike Look to be in? If you cant ride it, have the owner ride it a while. Pace with the car. See if its blowing smoke after its warmed up. Check oil usage. If you propose the owner ride it a bit & he looks like hes gonna puke, just go away. You can find a better deal elsewhere.  I have 15,000 on mine & the cam chain is done. I expect yours will need it. If he cant show you he's done it. I doubt he has. I did mine at 14,000. I cant imagine spending the $$ to do a cam chain & then sell immediately.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/26/07 at 16:34:29

& how much $$ is it? Year mode;l, anything ya got..

Ive seen a Savage with in excess of 80,000 miles on it, Werent pretty!

IP Logged
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Reply #6 - 07/26/07 at 18:32:58

Thanks for the responses. The bike is an 87 with approximately 17k miles on it. It seems to run great. The paint is a little faded but not bad and it's missing the back right turn signal (saw replacement for like $18 on Ebay). There is no rust, tires are good, and it has some mods and new parts (drag bars, new battery, nothing major). Right now he wants $1,000 for it, partly because he selling his two helmets and a new bike jack/lift with it. I could use these so it's not necessarily a negative. I'm not sure about the Cam chain, is that an expensive job to have done, any ball park figures? I'm going to look at it again tomorrow to decide for sure. Let me know. Thanks again for the direction.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/26/07 at 18:59:08

The last time I asked about a tune up, the guy said $250.  This is supposed to include torqueing the head bolts.  The cam chain is not that much more time, but I'll say $450 for the whole thing.  at 17k you'll need to do it in the next 3k.  So, go knock down another $200.

Of course I did my own, so I don't know for sure.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/26/07 at 19:51:59

Considering Nat wants the lift, I am guessing there will be some wrenching done. The cam chain is no big deal with some patience & a willingness to ask questions here.A shop manual would be nice, no, it is essential if you are gonna work on it. maybe he has one to toss in? If not, I wonder how he has managed to keep it maintained?  What tools are available makes a huge difference. If you have compressed air & an impact you are in good shape, for sure. Takes a lot of the grunt out of it & makes it possible to run the clutch up without any special tool for holding anything.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 07/29/07 at 07:30:25

Natanelli, my bike has 44000Km on it, which equate to some 27500, give or take...
...and I'm her 6th owner...

So if you like the bike, haggle until you're dead, you'll get her in the end.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #10 - 07/31/07 at 22:22:41

There is a 1986 Savage for sale in my area with 3200 miles on it.Owner says zero rust,no dents etc and runs fine.He lowered the price now to $1700.00 from $1850.00. Photos look good and the bike is stock.Of course its a 4-speed. I may have to finally go take a look.

jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:29:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How many miles are too many

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.